OCCRA
Go to Post "If two kids from every school who would otherwise have been uninterested in technology watched this special tonight and was inspired to learn more, then the world just changed because of it." - Barry Bonzack [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 01:32 PM
FRC #2064 (Panther Project)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2011
Joseph Bisch has a spectacular aura aboutJoseph Bisch has a spectacular aura about
[TBA] - Android App Ideas

The Blue Alliance is going to have a native Android app! You will be able to look up event and team information. I am hoping the app will be ready to be released sometime in the fall.

This thread is for you to suggest features. How would you use a TBA Android app? What features would you use?

Here is an early screenshot of the app:
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Technokat's Kodekat
FRC #0045 (Technokats)
Team Role: Programmer

Clayton Yocom will become famous soon enoughClayton Yocom will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Clayton Yocom Send a message via MSN to Clayton Yocom Send a message via Yahoo to Clayton Yocom Send a message via Skype™ to Clayton Yocom
I think the way the website is set up is a pretty good way to start. Have lists of teams or events. When you click on an event, at the top of the page is links to the team list and schedual, then have the videos, sorted by; q, qf, sf, and f, below. When you click on a team, it would give the team information at the top and have the videos, sorted by event, below. If you use the normal video playing apis that's fine, but I would love to be able to tag times in the video for further inspection later, as well as be able to share those tags. (Just a thought)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Riding my 6'3" Channel Islands Fish
AKA: Roger Romani
FRC #0100 (The Wildhats) and FRC#971 (Spartan Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2010
DampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [TBA] - Android App Ideas

Sounds like a great idea. Make sure to include videos in a mobile friendly format!

-Plutarch
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:33 PM
simplicity is the key to victory
FRC #0558
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
jwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond repute

If the TBA were to develop the App for both platforms I would make the switch to it.

I'd really like an app that gave me push notifications of scores for teams that I put on my watch list. Or at least something that let me know when my favorite teams are playing (approximate times, match numbers, etc.)
[2007-2010] FRC 0229 - Division By Zero
[2003-2006] FRC 0176 - Aces High

Last edited by jwfoss : 04-23-2012 at 02:54 PM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:53 PM
FRC #2064 (Panther Project)

Joseph Bisch has a spectacular aura aboutJoseph Bisch has a spectacular aura about

Thank you for the responses!

We are planning on including videos of matches. I think the videos are already in a mobile-friendly format. I'll look into bookmarking times and sharing them!

I know I won't be developing an iPhone app, but if someone is interested in doing so, let us know.

Push notifications are a great idea! Keep them coming.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:58 PM
The Blue Alliance
FRC #0604 (Quixilver), FRC #1323 (MadTown Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2000
Eugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Bisch View Post
I think the videos are already in a mobile-friendly format.
The transition to YouTube for hosting videos will help with that, too.

Various FLL Teams - Student (2000-2006), Mentor (2007-2010)
FRC Team 604 - Student (2007-2010), Mentor/Remote Advisor (2011-Present)
7 Regional Chairman's Awards, 2 Regional Engineering Inspiration Awards, 2 Regional Wins, 4 Woodie Flowers Finalists, 2 Dean's List Finalists
FRC Team 1323 - Mentor/Remote Advisor (2011-Present)
2 Regional Chairman's Awards, 1 Regional Engineering Inspiration Award, 1 Woodie Flowers Finalist, 2 Dean's List Finalists

The Blue Alliance | TBA GameDay | TBA Android App
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 05:29 PM
Greg Marra's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
[automate(a) for a in tasks_to_do]
no team (The Blue Alliance)
Team Role: RoboCoach

Rookie Year: 2005
Greg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneF View Post
The transition to YouTube for hosting videos will help with that, too.
Native players on mobile is one of the big benefits of YouTube hosting.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 06:09 PM
CAD, Mechanical, Alumni, Mentor
AKA: Scott
FRC #0810 (Mechanical Bulls)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2006
scottydoh is a name known to allscottydoh is a name known to allscottydoh is a name known to allscottydoh is a name known to allscottydoh is a name known to allscottydoh is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to scottydoh Send a message via Yahoo to scottydoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfoss View Post
If the TBA were to develop the App for both platforms I would make the switch to it.

I'd really like an app that gave me push notifications of scores for teams that I put on my watch list. Or at least something that let me know when my favorite teams are playing (approximate times, match numbers, etc.)
I'm pretty sure FRC Spyder will do that. Its what I use.
2009 Xerox Creativity (SBPLI)
Mechanical Bulls; Student Leader 2006-2008, Mentor 2009-Present
New York Institute of Technology - Architecture '13 | Design Portfolio:www.coroflot.com/sdifiore
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 11:21 PM
No committee, no decision. Blech.
FRC #1986 (Team Titanium)

Rookie Year: 2008
Jaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant future
This will be great! Search is critical. Scrolling through 4K teams to find what you want (as in Spyder) is very difficult on a phone. Search by team # is the bare minimum IMO; I'd also vote for (in order) team nickname and location.

Mentor http://www.teamtitanium.org/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: