OCCRA
Go to Post first post and the FRC "well what is a stick" comes in. Toothpick, does it need to be round, does a carbon fiber chain of Buckie balls count as a stick. CD posters are sooooo predictable. - Foster [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:14 PM
AKA: Scooby
FRC #0125 (NUTRONs)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
Steven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Steven Donow
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to attend Championship!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/basket...184100621.html

Quote:
ST. LOUIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--
The NBA’s All-Time Leading Scorer, New York Times bestselling author, and now STEM-education advocate Kareem Abdul-Jabbar will join 12,000 world champions competing in Dean Kamen’s youth robotics finals at Edward Jones Dome Friday and Saturday.
WHO
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is the author of seven books, including his latest children’s book What Color is My World? The Lost History of African-American Inventors
Abdul-Jabbar founded the Skyhook Foundation with the goal to inspire today’s youth to exercise their minds and realize the power of knowledge. The foundation identifies mentors who can inspire youth to pursue careers as innovators in the same way they envision being athletes or entertainers
Accomplished inventor Dean Kamen founded FIRST® (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) in 1989 to inspire young people’s interest in science and technology
Annual FIRST Championship hosts 12,000 students from 32 countries and their custom-built robots
Expected attendance: 25,000 additional fans, parents, mentors, coaches, and sponsors
WHAT
FIRST Championship is a culmination of youth robotics and science-challenge teams that won regional FIRST competitions held across the world, beginning last fall
During heart-pounding, high-energy matches, students put their custom-built robots to the test with the help of mentors and coaches
Abdul-Jabbar will sign books, meet teams, operate a robot, speak at ceremonies, and tour “pit-area” with Kamen family
WHEN & WHERE
April 27-28 in the Edward Jones Dome, St. Louis (All times CT)
Friday, April 27
8:30 am–9:15 am FIRST® Robotics Competition Opening Ceremonies, Edward Jones Dome
12:00 pm–1:00 pm ‘Dean’s List’ Awards Ceremony, America’s Ballroom, 2nd floor
1:30 pm–2:30 pm Read-Aloud & Book Signing with Junior FIRST® LEGO® League, Room 274
2:30 pm–3:00 pm Tour of robotics teams’ “pit area” with Kamen family members, America’s Center
Saturday, April 28
11:00 am–12:00 pm FIRST® Tech Challenge Closing Ceremony, America’s Ballroom, 2nd floor
1:00 pm–2:30 pm Book Signing in FIRST® Robotics Competition ‘Live Stage’ in Atrium, 2nd Floor

VISUALS
Teens show Abdul-Jabbar how to shoot hoops in basketball-themed robotics practice session
Abdul-Jabbar to referee live robotics match, climbing ladder to judge robot “height”
NBA great to speak at robotics closing ceremony, after which he will honor tech-savvy teens with ‘high fives’
7’2” Abdul-Jabbar to read aloud to kids as young as 6 during book-signing: kids to sing birthday song
Abdul-Jabbar and Kamen family members to tour “pit-area” in support of 12,000 robotics participants
25,000 FIRST fans cheering from the stands during robot matches, in pep rally-style
STORY ANGLES
Abdul-Jabbar shoots hoops with a robot called ‘Skyhook’ in basketball-themed robotics practice session
NBA’s All-Time Leading Scorer backs Kamen’s message: Celebrating science and technology as we do sports and entertainment is critical in creating the next generation of innovators and leaders
Abdul-Jabbar shines a light on the world of African-American invention through children’s book What Color is My World?
Abdul-Jabbar makes big impression on little engineers: Book-signing with FIRST participants as young as 6
More females and minorities in science & technology (STEM) fields: Interview accomplished young females and minorities about their FIRST experience
EDITOR’S NOTE
Schedule for Abdul-Jabbar to practice with robots and to referee robot match: Friday between 9:30–11:00 am and 3:00–5:00 pm
A robot practice session? Hope he brings his safety glasses!

2012 MAR Championship Dean's List Finalist

FRC 223 [2009-2013]: Xtreme Heat- Student; a myriad of positions.
FRC 125 [2013-Present]: NUTRONs - Mentor/College Student
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Pink flamingo on the lawn of life
AKA: @taylor1529
FRC #1529 (CyberCards)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2006
Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to attend Championship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevend1994 View Post
A robot practice session? Hope he brings his safety glasses!
When I think of KAJ I think of his signature goggles. Can't imagine him without them (except for when he's flying an airplane or fighting Bruce Lee)

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:31 PM
AKA: Simon Bohn
FRC #0639 (Code Red)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
Grim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Abdul-Jabbar shoots hoops with a robot called ‘Skyhook’ in basketball-themed robotics practice session
Reading further, I think he's going to be driving 330's robot. Seems like an appropriate robot for him.

-Buckeye Regional Champion 2013, 2014
-Newton Division Finalists 2012 thanks to 68 and 330
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:33 PM
FF Pure Mi
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute

Now I wish I had gotten a #33 jersey quite a while ago...
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:36 PM
FRC #0846 (Funky Monkeys)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2007
aditya29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Tuesday View Post
Reading further, I think he's going to be driving 330's robot. Seems like an appropriate robot for him.
Hah, I was just about to post that 330 must have known that Kareem would show up this year

It's awesome to see that he'll be attending. Great role model to help spread the values and enthusiasm for FIRST.

http://becauserobots.org/

adityamajumdar.com
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Gary Dillard's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Generator of Entropy
AKA: you know, the old bald guy
FRC #2973 (The Mad Rockers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Gary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Gary Dillard

Quote:
Abdul-Jabbar will sign books, meet teams, operate a robot, speak at ceremonies, and tour “pit-area” with Kamen family
Well that will make it alot easier to find Dean in the crowd.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:46 PM
AKA: Nour Srouji
FRC #2016 (Mighty Monkey Wrenches)

Rookie Year: 2009
nsrouji95 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, this is pretty exciting!! Each year just comes with more surprises. Can't wait until championships
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:48 PM
AKA: John Christiansen
FRC #1732 (Hilltoppers)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
XaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XaulZan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKE View Post
Now I wish I had gotten a #33 jersey quite a while ago...
Is that a Dolphins or Colts jersey? I didn't know Adbul-Jabbar had such a following.

One of our students wanted to name our robot "Kareem Abdul-Jaguar" but "McGuire" won the team vote.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:52 PM
I feel better now.
AKA: Jared341
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2001
Jared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond repute

I just can't wait to tell him, "I think you're the greatest, but my dad says you don't work hard enough on defense."
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 03:04 PM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

Rookie Year: 2004
IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared341 View Post
I just can't wait to tell him, "I think you're the greatest, but my dad says you don't work hard enough on defense."
This is when CD needs a like button.

2012 Boilermaker Engineering Excellence Award
2010 Boilermaker Rockwell Innovation in Control Award.
2009 Buckeye J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2009 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2008 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2007 St Louis Regional Winners
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 03:08 PM
FRC #0469

qzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared341 View Post
He was a staunch supporter of "a good defense is a great offense"?
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 03:12 PM
FF Pure Mi
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)

Rookie Year: 2003
IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute

There are actually a lot of retired #33s in basketball.
Larry Bird, KAJ, Patrick Ewing, Scottie Pipen...

I wonder if KAJ would be willing to sign one of our #33 jerseys?
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 03:22 PM
FRC #0447 (Team Roboto)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2005
Justin447 is an unknown quantity at this point

we almost named our robot for this year after him
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

So did any of the team sin Milwaukee name their robot Lew Alcindor?
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 03:36 PM
AKA: Josh P.
FRC #1675 (Ultimate Protection Squad)

Rookie Year: 2007
BigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko Ed View Post
So did any of the team sin Milwaukee name their robot Lew Alcindor?
I remember searching for this to see if we could fit in our naming scheme. We ended up going with Uptius Erving

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: