OCCRA
Go to Post If you do mentor FIRST, be an asset to your team, but know that your students will admire you all the more if you set an example and finish your own homework. - Eugenia Gabrielov [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Career
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#91   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2012, 08:36 PM
WittyTitleGen can't link to library
AKA: Milner
FRC #1361 (Nightmare Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
lcoreyl has much to be proud oflcoreyl has much to be proud oflcoreyl has much to be proud oflcoreyl has much to be proud oflcoreyl has much to be proud oflcoreyl has much to be proud oflcoreyl has much to be proud oflcoreyl has much to be proud of
Re: What's your day job?

2000-2006: Worked for SVG/ASML at an Intel fab. We do the lithography which means we print the circuit pattern on the silicon. It's a machine the size of a bathroom full of robots, lasers, optics, etc. Here's a marketing line: we make the machines that make the chips that make the devices that make our lives better... Intel touts moores law which we make true...

2006-2011: high school teacher for physics and math. Traded all free time for education. Heard of something called FIRST, and gave up the other? free time for that.

2012: back with ASML at an Atmel fab. They make chips for HTC and some samsung touchscreens and also microprocessors for arduinos, toasters, and such. Still give my (now larger) free time to FIRST.
  #92   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2012, 03:45 PM
AKA: Roger
FRC #0624 (CRyptonite)

Rookie Year: 2010
rlowe61 is just really nicerlowe61 is just really nicerlowe61 is just really nicerlowe61 is just really nicerlowe61 is just really nice

Retired US Army Warrant Officer, Currently working for the Federal Government doing the same thing I've done since Dec 1982.
I research and analyze data to find the bad guys. I'm an Intelligence Analyst. When mentoring I play Devil's advocate and make them think. What is going to happen if..., how do you prevent that...., coming from a very mechanically inclined family I have the skills to help in almost any aspect of mentoring.
  #93   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:25 AM
AKA: Sarah Grenier Montplaisir
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1995
gren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond reputegren737 has a reputation beyond repute

My day job keeps getting cooler. My advice to all young engineers to be out there is if you are unsure of what you want go for, get a standard mechcanical engineering degree. It can get you anywhere.

I graduated from WPI in 2001, spent a few years working at intelitek (team 40) designing CNC machines. Then I went to work for Stanley Black and Decker. I spent a few years designing woodworking equipment under the Delta brand ( Delta 18-900l drill press) and then moved over to Dewalt accessories ( both brands are owned by sbd). At Dewalt I was the Accessory Innovations engineer, which meant it was my job to come up with either accessories that dont currently exist or discover ways of manufacturing product that currently don't exist. I was mainly focused in the area of recip blades and oscillating tool blades.
Now I work a Apple as a manufacturing process design engineer. And that's all I'm allowed to say about that

It's been a fun ride so far and what I love the most is the daily challenges that have continues to push me to keep learning new things.
  #94   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2012, 12:54 PM
FRC 812/3476 Mentor
AKA: George
FRC #0812 (Midnight Mechanics)

Rookie Year: 2002
DCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Wow 7 pages and no one's hit my job yet.

I'm a graduate student at UC Irvine studying colon cancer. Broadly speaking I'm a biologist, though my focus has always been in cancer biology. After graduating UCSD, I worked in a lab for a few years studying leukemia, doing drug therapy testing, animal model development, and some basic science. Currently researching the causes of colon cancer metastasis (tumor spreading).

2001-2005 FRC294 Beach Cities Robotics
2005-Present FRC812 Midnight Mechanics
2012, 2014 FRC3476 Code Orange
2003-Present Volunteer, FRC/FTC/FLL/VRC

NEMO | San Diego Regional
| FIRST California
  #95   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:51 PM
Getting old
FRC #0095
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2001
Andy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond repute

I am an electro-mechanical tech at the Giesel School of Medicine (yes, Dartmouth just named it's medical school after Dr. Suess).

On paper, my job is to install, repair, modify and calibrate medical research lab equipment, and create custom experimental apparatus. Pretty much anything to do with technology, I get to figure out. The variety is astounding- everything from replacing vacuum tubes on enormous 70 year old amplifiers to making carbon fiber fixtures for MRI's. Every lab has it's own unique research challenges and I get to help figure them out.

It's the perfect job for me, right at the sweet spot between being a full up engineer and a machinist. I've had jobs in the past that came down to shaving half a penny in cost off plastic junk that was destined for a landfill. Here, in some small way, I help contribute to science and the next generation of doctors. The job satisfaction level is off scale high here.
  #96   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Hardcore Dork
AKA: JCH
FRC #0095 (LRT-UVR Grasshoppers #95)

Rookie Year: 2001
JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an R&D Mechanical Engineer at a small engineering firm. I do CAD modeling and print making, spec and assemble DAQ systems, FE modeling and scripting, novel welding research (Titanium MIG), armor system design and fabrication, some API programming. I'm largely focused on prototype design and fabrication though. I've designed and built some fun machines, my favorite being one that tested batteries with a long-duration 1100g shock-pulse in a sustainable way.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #97   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Adam Reed ~ FIRST Volunteer
AKA: Adam Reed
FRC #0048 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E)

Rookie Year: 2003
A_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to behold

I am an advanced manufacturing intern at Cleveland Punch and Die. This job is my first internship experience and has progressed through an internship period and two semesters of co-op experience. I haven't been responsible for much and have done mostly machining work over the last year, but I have been given two projects. The first project I completed during my internship tenure revolved around setting up the programming and fixture of a wire EDM so that the process could be run 24 hours a day. The second and most recent project is a three position fixture design to streamline the setup on an after production process.

Along with school and robotics I have a pretty full schedule to deal with this semester. I have learned alot in the last year and have gotten a feel for the manufacturing side of things. Sadly with three weeks left in the semester and in the middle of a project I was informed that I am being terminated before finals. I am now stuck trying last minute efforts to find another internship or engineering opportunity before I have to take up the search for another 'job'.
  #98   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 11:42 AM
CAD Leader
AKA: AK-Fo'7
FRC #1507 (The WARLOCKS)

Rookie Year: 2004
Solidstate89 has a spectacular aura aboutSolidstate89 has a spectacular aura about

Been working about a year and a half now as a CAD Drafter for Superior Design Group. We do outsourcing work from other companies like Pratt & Whitney, MOOG, Dresser Rand and of course Delphi.

In what I can only call providence, I ended up working in the Delphi Group. After being a student for 4 years on a Robotics whose main sponsor was Delphi.

Huzzah!
  #99   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 03:34 PM
AKA: Aaron
FRC #1768 (Robo Chiefs)

Rookie Year: 2004
rocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to behold

I work as an upholsterer. Custom built and reupholstered furniture. Antique museum pieces to commercial upholstery. We've done chair's from the 1600's, tons of antiques, chiropractor tables, boats, hotels. I absolute love my job. It gives me a chance to work with my hands, design cool things, and make old things new again.
  #100   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 03:38 PM
FRC #0025
Team Role: Coach

nuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond repute

flight attendant
00,03,06,07,08,10,12 NJ / MAR winner
11 VCU winner
06,10 Las Vegas winner
12 MAR Mt Olive
red is for team 348
  #101   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 03:43 PM
dricks
AKA: David Ricks
FRC #0704 (SGP Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
dricks has a spectacular aura aboutdricks has a spectacular aura aboutdricks has a spectacular aura about

I am a cosultant mostly to non-profit companies. But for years I worked as a Telecom Engineer.
  #102   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 04:03 PM
FRC #2363

Rookie Year: 1999
Nate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond repute

My job is almost definitely the coolest--

I design, test, and operate cryogenics plants that supply 2-Kelvin cryogens to a particle accelerator and several test facilities.
  #103   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:23 PM
"Team Mom" @khayes1489
AKA: Kirstie Hayes
FRC #2471 (Team Mean Machine)

Rookie Year: 2008
QueenBot is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a Nursing Assistant and on the fence between becoming a commercial pilot and a physicians assistant. Still going to college!

2012:
Newton Division Semi-Finalists thanks to 1717 & 469
Autodesk Oregon Regional
GM Industrial Design winners
Seattle Cascade Regional
Delphi Engineering Excellence, Champions thanks to 2046 & 492

--
2011 Seattle Cascade Regional Champions
thanks to 1510 & 2660
&
2011 Autodesk Oregon Regional Champions
thanks to 360 & 3711

"It's not about kids building robots... it's about robots building kids." -Bud Hayes
  #104   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Rocket Scientist
FRC #4293

Rookie Year: 2005
AshWalker has much to be proud ofAshWalker has much to be proud ofAshWalker has much to be proud ofAshWalker has much to be proud ofAshWalker has much to be proud ofAshWalker has much to be proud ofAshWalker has much to be proud ofAshWalker has much to be proud ofAshWalker has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to AshWalker

I launch rockets.

It actually isn't rocket science though. I am an electrical engineer working on telemetry data for the Delta program. I am lucky enough to support launch days on console (in Denver, not at the launch sites) and there is nothing that can reproduce the feeling of being polled before coming out of the T-4 min hold. The downside to be on console: all of my slip ups are now recorded and saved for history. Yep, that infamous 2am night during NPP's flight will go down in history!

By night I'm a grad student and mentor. I'll sleep when I'm dead.
FRC 2262 - Mentor
FRC 4293 - Mentor
  #105   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2012, 11:26 PM
AKA: Daniel
FRC #0364 (Team Fusion)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2010
Captaindan is a jewel in the roughCaptaindan is a jewel in the roughCaptaindan is a jewel in the roughCaptaindan is a jewel in the rough

I work on a charter boat here in Gulfport, Mississippi, I also weld as much as possible for extra cash. I plan on attending Bagley college of engineering in the fall at MS State.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: