OCCRA
Go to Post Goodness gracious professionalism - Billfred [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Championship Event
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #151   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 06:41 AM
FRC #0469

qzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to behold
Re: Archimedes 2012!

A little late to consider process improvement, but a possible root cause to this is the typical lack of timely feedback as to the award of coop points.

Team has to wander back to the pits and look at the live score to see if something looks "odd". By then it's a little late to protest.
  #152   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:01 AM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

From what I understand (I was field side at the time), the referees were awarding 1 CP to a pair of robots that were on a tilted bridge even if one of the robots was touching the ground. The "mentor from another team" went to clarify what was going on and what counted as 1 CP and what didn't. I don't know if they're going back and fixing old matches.

The rules do not say that you can not ask the refs any questions after the matches are over, and if it's an issue of rule interpretation and the refs agree, the results can be changed. Co-op points have been revised at multiple regionals this year and there is no reason they couldn't be revised at the Championship
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #153   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Adam Reed ~ FIRST Volunteer
AKA: Adam Reed
FRC #0048 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
A_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to behold

Congrats to our Wisconsin Regional champion alliance partners FRC Team 2826 Wave Robotics for capturing first place in one of the most loaded of divisions. Good luck to all teams and keep it going Wave.
  #154   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Steve
AKA: Steve
FRC #0578 (Red Raider Robotics)
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2009
stundt1 will become famous soon enoughstundt1 will become famous soon enough

I cannot believe that happened when I saw Simbotics not moving I thought they were done for. wow. Then at the last second wave fell off the bridge.
Add Team 578 on
  #155   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Sleep? Whats that?
FRC #2489 (The Insomniacs)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2011
Ankit S. has a spectacular aura aboutAnkit S. has a spectacular aura about

That finals match was so awesome!

2489, 3189, & 701 - The Green Alliance - 2013 Sacramento Regional #6 Alliance Captain and Champions!!!
971, 254, & 2489 - 2011 CalGames Champions. Thanks 254 and 971!!!

#156   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Teaching Teachers to Teach Tech
AKA: Jason Brett
FRC #1346 ("Trobotics" competed 2004-2010)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2004
dtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond repute

They don't come much closer than that...

Looking forward to Einstein.

Jason
  #157   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Design, Strategy & Scouting Mentor
FRC #2046 (Bear Metal)

Rookie Year: 2007
Austin2046 has a spectacular aura aboutAustin2046 has a spectacular aura about

Wow, Archimedes was intense! Congratulations to teams 2056, 1114 and 4334. Good luck on Einstein!

I'd like to thank our alliance partners 195 and 2415. We had a real chance at knocking out the Canadian powerhouses! It was a pleasure to play with you, as well as everyone on Archimedes. We had a great time, and we plan to kick it up another notch next year.
  #158   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 03:45 PM
Riding my 6'3" Channel Islands Fish
AKA: Roger Romani
FRC #0100 (The Wildhats) and FRC#971 (Spartan Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2010
DampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond repute

I was blown away by the play in the finals. Although in the end, they did not suceed, Wave robotics played extremely well. They clearly earned their number one seed. Good luck to the Canadian alliance at Einstein!

-Plutarch
  #159   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Still 0 blue banners...
AKA: Wing
FRC #1648 (G3 Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2008
Anupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Anupam Goli

The Blue Alliance has the Top 15 OPR statistics on their site, here they are:
2056 45.32
2826 37.75
2415 34.29
973 31.01
67 30.10
1114 29.65
1676 27.76
1504 26.29
1218 26.06
2996 26.01
359 24.71
2949 23.11
2046 22.87
2590 22.48

With 2415 being in the top 3, I was surprised they weren't chosen until the last round. I would've thought they would be chosen quickly.
Georgia Institute of Technology Class of 2016
I wish everyone a great season, and good luck!
  #160   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Design, Strategy & Scouting Mentor
FRC #2046 (Bear Metal)

Rookie Year: 2007
Austin2046 has a spectacular aura aboutAustin2046 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing View Post
The Blue Alliance has the Top 15 OPR statistics on their site, here they are:
2056 45.32
2826 37.75
2415 34.29
973 31.01
67 30.10
1114 29.65
1676 27.76
1504 26.29
1218 26.06
2996 26.01
359 24.71
2949 23.11
2046 22.87
2590 22.48

With 2415 being in the top 3, I was surprised they weren't chosen until the last round. I would've thought they would be chosen quickly.
It seemed like most teams wanted a wide bot as their first picks with a few exceptions. 2415 was quickly snatched up in the second round by the number 7 alliance, as they already had 2 widebots, 195 and 2046, assuring their ability to triple. And as has been said before, OPR isn't all that reliable a statistic this year for rebound rumble. Our scouting data showed we (2046) were consistently putting more points on the board than 973 yet their OPR is more than 8 points higher.
  #161   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2012, 07:21 PM
Mentor, still learning
AKA: James Temple
no team (EWCP)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2008
AcesJames has a reputation beyond reputeAcesJames has a reputation beyond reputeAcesJames has a reputation beyond reputeAcesJames has a reputation beyond reputeAcesJames has a reputation beyond reputeAcesJames has a reputation beyond reputeAcesJames has a reputation beyond reputeAcesJames has a reputation beyond reputeAcesJames has a reputation beyond reputeAcesJames has a reputation beyond reputeAcesJames has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AcesJames Send a message via MSN to AcesJames Send a message via Skype™ to AcesJames

I'd like to take a minute to thank all the teams and volunteers in Archimedes for making my first even as a volunteer field reset-er a memorable one. Having been able to watch every single match on Archimedes this year from the dome floor, 3 feet from the field was incredible. We knew Archi was going to be stacked, but I was absolutely amazed by the match play in quals and in eliminations. However, I was also amazed by the people playing in those matches.

Every so often, it seems that people have negative things to say about the "elite" teams that occupied so much of our division this year. Things like "that's a mentor built robot" or "that team only cares about winning", or even "that team is trying to sabotage us". I didn't see any of that on Archimedes. What DID I see?

I saw some of those slandered "elite" teams (67, 1114, 2826, 2056, and others) playing their hearts out all weekend. I saw the student drivers, graciously accepting wins AND defeats, congratulating their opponents when they lost, and being proud of themselves either way. I saw their teams in the stands, cheering them on regardless of their performance. I saw all three nail-biting Finals matches with last second balances involving the 4 teams above. I saw those 4 teams who have been slandered time and again this season for their "mentor built" robots walk out onto the field at the end of their 3 matches, shake each others' hands, smile, and compliment each other on a job well done. It was evident seeing their faces that the students and coaches representing their teams on the field were grateful just to be competing against each other.

Forget the FMS issues on Einstein. I saw the magic on Archimedes. I'm inspired.
  #162   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2012, 08:12 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesJames View Post
... Forget the FMS issues on Einstein. I saw the magic on Archimedes. I'm inspired.
This. Thank you.

It's why we do the math. It's why I cannot stay away.
Mentor since 2002 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97
  #163   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:32 AM
no team

Rookie Year: 2011
tap13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I saw the magic on Archimedes. I'm inspired.
Thank You, I really feel the same way. Whatever happened in the Einstein field couldn't take away the magic I saw in Archimedes. I would proudly admit that after our last game in the semi-finals, we were happy, we did our best and so did everyone else. It was an intense and memorable competition. I'm proud to be at FIRST. I'm inspired.
  #164   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:01 AM
Build bridges not walls.
AKA: Carolyn Beyer
FRC #3176

Rookie Year: 2003
Carolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'd like to take a minute to thank all the teams and volunteers in Archimedes for making my first even as a volunteer field reset-er a memorable one.
Forget the FMS issues on Einstein. I saw the magic on Archimedes. I'm inspired.
Ditto!
I had a blast working field reset with you and the others! Such a great weekend. The finals on Archimedes were insanity, and I was so honored to be court-side watching it all play out. Great job by all of the teams.

I was also really excited to see an Archimedes team win Chairman's Award! Congrats again to 1114! The members of your team who were around the field throughout the weekend truly embraced the spirit of FIRST.
"It is change, continuing change, inevitable change, that is the dominant factor in society today. No sensible decision can be made any longer without taking into account not only the world as it is, but the world as it will be." -Isaac Asimov

Follow @Robot_Chat and tune into #BotChat on Twitter, 7:00PM every Sunday during Build Season.

Awards / P.R. Mentor for:
3176 Purple Precision, 1529 CyberCards, and remotely 68, Truck Town Thunder.
  #165   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:47 AM
EINSTEIN!
FRC #0067 (The HOT Team)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2005
Adam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond repute

What an exciting and interesting weekend. Thursday started out pretty rough for us, with some missed coop balances and had a communication/controls system problem. Friday we were awesome in our 3 matches, finishing perfect 4pts for each one. Saturday we climbed back into the top 3, then ended up finishing in the top 8 overall. We were selected by an awesome team, 2826 and then selected 4143.

Our alliance struggled with the triple balance throughout the eliminations. I am not really sure why...Wave and HOT easily tripled with Adambots Friday evening. We also hit a couple of triples on the practice field with 4143 Saturday morning, although they were not quite as smooth. I wish we would have had more time to get everything correct before we got kicked off the practice field.

After failing to triple in either of our first 4 elimination matches, our alliance opted for ditching the triple and just trying to out score our opponents by 20pts and double balancing. This was effective in F1. It was also pretty effective in F2, until we hopped over the barrier and got stuck on a ball. We were not able to free ourselves and only managed a single balance. We also effectively denied 2826 any balls in the last 30s of the match. Our alliance was up about 12-15 when we got stuck. We knew that the Canadian alliance was slowly closing in the gap on our scoring, so we decided that we would attempt a triple balance if we were up by less than 15 in the last 45s of the match. During the match the scores were extremely close, I believe we were up by 2-3 when we called for the triple. Everyone was in position and balanced....then disaster struck! This is what I believe happened, since I haven't seen the video...both 67 and 2826 robots started to tip. We saved ours with the arm, 2826 tipped, then some how got back on the bridge and it balanced for a couple of seconds...then they tipped off again. This was incredibly heartbreaking for all of our alliance.

To 2826 - You guys are incredible. Just a scoring machine. It was great to get a chance to finally play with you guys. After getting knocked out by you last year, we definitely had all our scouts eyes on you. You did not dissappoint. You guys are a Powerhouse team!

Jake, thanks for letting me lead the alliance. You are a great coach. I wish I would have come up/stuck with a winning strategy. Eric and Tyler..it was awesome talking with you all weekend.

To 4143 - Thank you guys for being an awesome third partner. You did everything we asked you to do. Even had to put up with me yelling, probably incoherantly, back there. Your robot was capable and durable. You were a definite advantage to our alliance.

To Alliance #2 (1114, 2056, and 4334), what an incedible alliance. Congratulations! We knew we would have to go through you to get to Einstein...and we knew you would be triple balancing in every match. Just the threat of the potential you guys had in any of our matches, forced our hand away from our initial strategy and into the triple balance. For an alliance that was putting up an average of 88 ball points (us) after ditching the triple balance, your strategy and execution intimidated us into going back to trying it. Which looking at the data in hindsight was a terrible decision.

There are so many tiny little details that if changed could have effected the outcome. I am trying not to look back, but it keeps happening. The scores don't look that close or high but the matches were epic. We could not have lost to a better alliance, and IMO would not have lost to any other alliance in St. Louis.

It's not fair to anyone what happened on Einstein, but the class and professionalism you guys displayed was amazing. I don't think I would have been able to stay so calm and so composed during those events. Thank you for being model teams in the face of adversity.

To 1114 and 2056 - It is always fun/challenging/exciting to be in a division with you guys. Our teams have so much respect and admiration for each other it's incredible. Karthik and Tyler you guys are such good friends...just hanging out and talking with you made for a great weekend.

Now on to acceptance and recovery....

2005 FIRST World Champions (330, 67, 503)
2009 FIRST World Champions (111, 67, 971)
2010 FIRST World Champions (294, 67, 177)
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: