Go to Post Technology is everywhere, yet the human factor is what makes an event special. - synth3tk [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute
Did You Catch 'Em Being Good?!

To catch someone being good means exactly that. Catching someone in the act of doing something nice, kind, gracious, helpful, or beyond the call of duty.

We often catch someone being bad and we love to talk about it, gripe about it, complain about it. There are already enough threads that lean towards griping or complaining. This one is about praising or highlighting or thanking.

We can apply this to the 2012 Championship Event or, if you have a memory of catching someone being good during the season and want to share that, please do.

I'll start off with a fun one. The yoyos at the Championship Event. One of the sponsors, Boeing, provided yoyos as giveaways and did so, cheerfully. It was a lot of fun to see kids of all ages with yoyos and having fun with them. It was delightful to see the sponsor reps having fun and enjoying talking to everyone, too.

Who did you catch having fun or doing something helpful, kind, thoughtful, or nice?

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 05-01-2012 at 11:54 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Mentor - 2826
AKA: Jake Fischer
FRC #2826 (Wave Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
trilogy2826 has a reputation beyond reputetrilogy2826 has a reputation beyond reputetrilogy2826 has a reputation beyond reputetrilogy2826 has a reputation beyond reputetrilogy2826 has a reputation beyond reputetrilogy2826 has a reputation beyond reputetrilogy2826 has a reputation beyond reputetrilogy2826 has a reputation beyond reputetrilogy2826 has a reputation beyond reputetrilogy2826 has a reputation beyond reputetrilogy2826 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Did You Catch 'Em Being Good?!

Adam Freeman from team 67 picking up a piece of garbage off the floor that was not his on his way out to the competition field.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Missouri S&T Freshman
FRC #2410 (BV CAPS Metal Mustang Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2010
CalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to CalTran

Amir Abo-Shaeer, even though he was pressed for time to get to his elimination match, still stopping to sign my New Cool book and even left a message.

Team 2410 thinks KISSing is amazing! Keep It Super Safe!

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you don't know why. On our team, theory and practice comes together. Nothing works and nobody knows why.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 03:13 PM
AKA: Aaron
FRC #1768 (Robo Chiefs)

Rookie Year: 2004
rocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to behold

The FTA's were fantastic. We had one come to us while we lost coms in a match, then followed us from the field to our pit and helped go through everything to try and find an issue. Even before that, we had put in a request and had help right away.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 03:21 PM
EINSTEIN!
FRC #0067 (The HOT Team)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2005
Adam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond repute

Rob Jenkins and all the FTA/CSAs on Archimedes. The one time our robot died during a match, they were all over at our robot working on it at the side of the field after the match. We never did find a specific issue, but they were very helpful in working with our drivers to understand exactly what happened.

Next couple times we were out there Rob specifically came up and asked us if we found anything or experienced any issues after our matches.

Rob was also our FTA at most of our Michigan districts and MSC. So we all felt comfortable knowing he would be there for us if anything happened.

THANKS Rob, Jerry, and Oliver!

2005 FIRST World Champions (330, 67, 503)
2009 FIRST World Champions (111, 67, 971)
2010 FIRST World Champions (294, 67, 177)

Last edited by Adam Freeman : 05-01-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Added FTA and CSA names...
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 04:21 PM
FF Pure Mi
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute

Don Rotolo took his inspector hat off and put his mentor hat on to help a team re-wire their entire robot into compliance a couple hours before matches were to start. Working with him was one of the highlights of the weekend for me.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 04:29 PM
They call me Boris
AKA: Ben Glodowski
FRC #1987 (Broncobots)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2007
boris1020 is an unknown quantity at this point

So I didn't catch someone in the act so much, but I got to experience what makes FIRST great. 1114 Simbotics came by our pit (why ours, I don't know) on Friday looking for a Digital Sidecar, which we lent to them. They used it all the way to Einstein and will we shipping it back to us soon. Team 2403 Plasma, on the other hand, saved our butts on Saturday when our center Plaction wheels shattered and loaned us their two spares, now we are sending the replacements for the shattered ones to them. What other sport can you do that in?
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Here comes StuyPulse
AKA: Joe Blay
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)
Team Role: Coach

jblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond repute

Justin Foss of 2168 coming over to our pit while the issues with 2168's robot where still being worked out to give some advice on how to reduce the compression on our shooter, without his advice we probably wouldn't have been able to shoot at the middle hoop in hybrid like we did at championship. He did this without even thinking about the fact that our next competition was also his next competition, he just wanted to help.
2011 CMP 5th Alliance Captains & Quarter Finalists 2011 Connecticut Chairman's
2010 Connecticut Chairman's
2010 NYC Champions
2008 NYC Engineering Inspiration
2007 NYC Finalists
2006 NYC Finalists
2005 NYC Chairman's
2003 NYC Champions
2002 NYC Engineering Inspiration
2001 NYC Finalists
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Worry is a poor use of Imagination
AKA: Cynette Cavaliere
FRC #1511 (Rolling Thunder)

Rookie Year: 2005
Cynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond reputeCynette has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Cynette Send a message via AIM to Cynette

Pick just one or two? That's impossible!

Inside my team...
Nathan - a first year student - volunteering to take extra scouting shifts!

Mollie - another first year student - for her optimism when given a big task. She replied with such simple words, "we got this, it's ok." And they did have it and it was ok.

The approximately dozen students who took a Team 148 button to bring back to one of our kids who is a big (huge) 148 fan and couldn't come to St. Louis.

I bet I could tell a story for each of the kids on the team. Hmmm maybe that's a good idea to share with my team.

From adults - Judy V. for giving me a tiara to wear on Friday. So unexpected!

The team leader from a Hawaiian FTC team, for the cute flower for my hair!

The adults from the Columbus Corps Team 4188! Each time I met one they said thank you to me for the help I had given through e-mails in prepping their team for St. Louis. It was so sweet! And that simple act of saying thank you made me feel so good over and over again!

And the folks from Sheperd Expo Services for being so magnanimous when we hosted the All Rookie Meet and Greet in their space! I'm sure they were happy to have us leave!
Rolling Thunder, Team 1511: The Thunder just keeps getting louder!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 05:32 PM
The GURU Channel
AKA: Richard Sisk
FRC #2493 (Robokong)

Rookie Year: 2007
rsisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to rsisk

These teams helped another team overcome an illegal servo issue:

399 - Window Motor
3929 - Window motor hub
3476 - Two nylon spacers used in mounting the window motor

No questions asked when coming into their pit. I just said, "Do you have this to help a team" and they gratefully handed over the parts.

This is why I love being a part of FIRST

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

Here's a good one:

Lead Robot Inspectors Chris Paulik, Jeff Pahl and Chuck Dickerson (with Chris and Jeff being LRI's on Curie and Archimedes) approached my team (3940) regarding some robot rule non-compliance on Friday. This was after we passed inspection Thursday morning, while I was busy inspecting other robots.

They came up to me after pow-wowing around our robot before a match began. I was on the other side of the field, and wondered why a bunch of yellow hats were around our purple robot. Then, they huddled by themselves for about 2-3 minutes and came over to me.

Chris tried to keep a straight face and told me that our robot was illegal. I asked why this was the case. He said that since our air cylinders were covered with yellow tape and our plastic air tanks were painted purple, we were violating the rule that did not allow this sort of modification, although he knew it was cosmetic. All four of us joked about this for a little bit, agreeing that this is a rule that inconsequential. Then, I said "seriously, are you gonna make us change these tanks and take off the yellow tape?" They said yes, since another inspector on another division made a team do this previously on Thursday, they need to be consistent. Although I did not agree with their interpretation of this rule (or we would not have painted the tanks in the first place), I agreed that they were correct in their enforcement, and proceeded to go back to my team and pose the situation to them.

So, as we were waiting our turn back at a practice field, we took a knife to the yellow gaffers tape on the cylinders and some fingernails to the tape on the plastic tanks. Within about 5 minutes we had all of this rouge stuff off of our pneumatics. Our pit captain, Sarah, when to the Curie question box and asked for the LRI. Chris came over and Sarah talked to him about what we did to fix the problem.

While this was funny, it was also awkward for those inspectors to address me with this issue, since I was also an inspector. They were graceful and correct in their ruling, and understood why I disagreed with their interpretation of the rule. However, they still made us comply. Chris, Jeff, and Chuck were in a bind with this issue, and handled it well.

Andy B.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 05:57 PM
That dude in the Golden Hat
AKA: Walter Deitzler
FRC #3397 (Robolions)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2010
LedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, seeing as I was a spectator this year, looking to learn more about how the top teams build their robots, some teams were particularly helpful.

1114: I walked by their pit and stopped for quite a while to look at their robot. I asked if I could take pictures, and they said yes, like most teams would. After I eyed the robot for a while longer, they asked if I had any questions, also normal. One thing led to another, and soon, I was getting almost a full tour of their wonderful machine . It was amazing, a STUDENT (not a mentor) told me each how almost each and every part was made. I learned so much from this team. It was amazing!

1629: When walking by their pits, I asked about their tank treads. Eventually me and my Dad got into a discussion with them about structuring not only an FRC team, but a whole district of teams, from JFLL to FLL to FTC to FRC, and funding it all too! U-City might be seeing some major changes around here thanks to them!

Also, if you would mind me adding a third, all of the teams who hosted a conference that I went to see (Karthik, 359, 365 and the hall-of-famers, and 79). These were fantastic, thank you guys so much!

(Hanging out with my buddies at 610)

FRC 3397 The Robolions

Robotics, it's not just a club, it's a career.

FLL Referee (2012-Present)
2011 St. Louis Regional Winners (With 1985 and 3284)
2010 Highest Rookie Seed

Robolions Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robolions3397?ref=hl
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:06 PM
6 events this season?
FRC #0125 (NUTRONS) (EWCP)

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

This one happened at Orlando week 2 but starts about 9 weeks prior.

79 Decided to program in C++ this year due to an influx of mentors that knew it and a really rookie programming team. We trained them on C++ and they coded the robot alongside the mentors. (That's the boring part of the story.) However, when the time for Orlando came around it turned out that every single software mentor was volunteering for some role or another leaving our students in the position of being without any support from us at their first regional as a programming student. Without any coaching from us they set up programming help for other teams there. Not just in C++ but in Java and LabView as well... Apparently a few of them knew each language and, on the fly, figured out the WPILib enough to help program other teams robots.

Imagine my surprise when a couple of them came running up to me exclaiming how much fun they were having helping other teams program their robots.

I'm very proud of these kids... I just wish they'd saved some energy for programming 79's bot (they all wore themselves out and fell asleep in the stands by the end of the day).

Planning to top a 4 banner year...
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Please post as often as you would like.
Add as many memories, thank yous, and highlights as you choose.
In short, write a book.

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Mentor, Team 987
FRC #0987 (High Rollers)

twetherbee has much to be proud oftwetherbee has much to be proud oftwetherbee has much to be proud oftwetherbee has much to be proud oftwetherbee has much to be proud oftwetherbee has much to be proud oftwetherbee has much to be proud oftwetherbee has much to be proud oftwetherbee has much to be proud oftwetherbee has much to be proud of

A number of people from Team 525, The SWARTDOGS, (along with our alliance partners, The Pink Team) helped us fix our ball collector mechansim after they inadvertantly broke it in a collision at the very end of Curie QF3-2.

Thanks again, guys.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: