OCCRA
Go to Post if sleep is essential, then yeah, I'm in trouble. - Eria4044 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Here comes StuyPulse
AKA: Joe Blay
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2006
jblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond repute
What are the grounds for a replay?

I was going through the rules trying to find what constitutes a replay and I found this rule
Quote:
[T25]
If, in the judgment of the Head Referee, an “Arena fault” occurs that affects either the play or the outcome of the Match, the Match will be replayed. Example Arena faults include broken Arena elements, power failure to a portion of the Arena, improper activation of the Arena control system, errors by Arena personnel, etc.
This seems vague to me as it does not address what happened many times this year with people not being sure if it was the field's fault and making the decision based on the significance of the match and or if the problems occur in other matches. I think that for the future this rule should be more black and white with less arguing needed to make replay happen. If there is any doubt, the match should be replayed in my opinion but regardless the rule must be clearer and not just up to the referees discretion.
2011 CMP 5th Alliance Captains & Quarter Finalists 2011 Connecticut Chairman's
2010 Connecticut Chairman's
2010 NYC Champions
2008 NYC Engineering Inspiration
2007 NYC Finalists
2006 NYC Finalists
2005 NYC Chairman's
2003 NYC Champions
2002 NYC Engineering Inspiration
2001 NYC Finalists
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 03:14 PM
AKA: Scooby
FRC #0125 (NUTRONs)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
Steven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Steven Donow
Re: What are the grounds for a replay?

I agree that this rule needs to be more black and white. The problem is in what is determined as a "field fault". IMO, it seems like it's not so much something to be determined by the Head Ref, but moreso something that is strongly influenced by the FTAs, who (rightfully so) usually look into the problem as a robot problem before looking into it as a field problem...It seems to me like this diagnosis just takes long, which is why at regionals we have not seen many replays related to connection.

2012 MAR Championship Dean's List Finalist

FRC 223 [2009-2013]: Xtreme Heat- Student; a myriad of positions.
FRC 125 [2013-Present]: NUTRONs - Mentor/College Student
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Missouri S&T Sophomore
FRC #2410 (BV CAPS Metal Mustang Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2010
CalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to CalTran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevend1994 View Post
IMO, it seems like it's not so much something to be determined by the Head Ref, but moreso something that is strongly influenced by the FTAs, who (rightfully so) usually look into the problem as a robot problem before looking into it as a field problem...
I agree with this, and with making the grounds for a rematch much more black and white. However, I also believe that one should be able to challenge the validity of a robot vs. field fault, and if one has outstanding evidence that their robot was not the end that failed, be granted a rematch. Though, I do understand that this does invite controversy over some teams ungraciously trying to get a rematch for a flat loss.

Team 2410 thinks KISSing is amazing! Keep It Super Safe!

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you don't know why. On our team, theory and practice comes together. Nothing works and nobody knows why.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 04:02 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

There is one other ground for a replay: Full and complete tie after all tiebreakers are considered, in the eliminations only.

That's never happened.

Field faults include a Roomba under the bridge and pokey-pokey stick wielders failing to clear jams fast enough to prevent bounceouts, this year at any rate. (Not limited to those...)
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 04:11 PM
On to a new chapter...
AKA: David Givens
FRC #1071 (Team MAX)
Team Role: Alumni

dag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
There is one other ground for a replay: Full and complete tie after all tiebreakers are considered, in the eliminations only.

That's never happened.

Field faults include a Roomba under the bridge and pokey-pokey stick wielders failing to clear jams fast enough to prevent bounceouts, this year at any rate. (Not limited to those...)
Roomba under the bridge?
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Here comes StuyPulse
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)

jblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dag0620 View Post
Roomba under the bridge?
QF 1-1 on Curie. It was quite funny.
2010 NYC Champions
2007 NYC Finalists
2006 NYC Finalists
2005 NYC Chairman's
2003 NYC Champions
2001 NYC Finalists
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Mentor, Volunteer, Judge, and Dad
AKA: Mr. Jason Miller
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
jmiller48167 has much to be proud ofjmiller48167 has much to be proud ofjmiller48167 has much to be proud ofjmiller48167 has much to be proud ofjmiller48167 has much to be proud ofjmiller48167 has much to be proud ofjmiller48167 has much to be proud ofjmiller48167 has much to be proud ofjmiller48167 has much to be proud ofjmiller48167 has much to be proud of

see Curie QF1-1 the is a video of this already search cd for it.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Ambitious but rubbish!
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
Peter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond repute

We got a replay at WPI when in 2 consecutive matches the same player station wouldn't link up to the robots. At first they bypassed 190, blaming them for it, but then it happened in the next match to the same station annd a replay was granted at the end of the day. Some wires were swapped around between player stations in the field controls and the problem went away for a while.

2009 Newton Division Champions w/ 1507 & 121
2008 Archimedes Division Champions w/ 1124 & 1024
2007 Championship Winners/Newton Division Champions w/190, 987 & 177 The Wall of Maroon
2006 Galileo Division Champions w/ 1126 & 201
www.bobcatrobotics.org
"If you can't do it with brains, it won't be done with hours." - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Here comes StuyPulse
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Matteson View Post
We got a replay at WPI when in 2 consecutive matches the same player station wouldn't link up to the robots. At first they bypassed 190, blaming them for it, but then it happened in the next match to the same station annd a replay was granted at the end of the day. Some wires were swapped around between player stations in the field controls and the problem went away for a while.
But why didn't they do the same thing for the #1 and #2 alliances in the semis at CT? It just seems fairly random when they decide to replay, that is why we have a game manual.
2010 NYC Champions
2007 NYC Finalists
2006 NYC Finalists
2005 NYC Chairman's
2003 NYC Champions
2001 NYC Finalists
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 04:34 PM
FRC #3310 (Black Hawk Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

JohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond repute

I believe you can only replay if it is a proven fault with the field, and in no way associated with the robot. And only if you can prove it was the field (i.e. communication failures do not warrant a replay because you cannot prove it was the field).
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 04:43 PM
AKA: Josh P.
FRC #1675 (Ultimate Protection Squad)

Rookie Year: 2007
BigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond repute

If they formalize the procedure for replays more I'd like to see an option for the offended team (if problems affect only one alliance or robot) to decline the replay (Much like coaches can decline a penalty call in American football if the non-penalized field position / down is more advantageous).

I can remember at least one match in 1675's history where we won and had to replay because of a field fault involving the communications of one of our alliance members. We won the replay if I remember correctly, but I don't think a replay is necessary there.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Here comes StuyPulse
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
If they formalize the procedure for replays more I'd like to see an option for the offended team (if problems affect only one alliance or robot) to decline the replay (Much like coaches can decline a penalty call in American football if the non-penalized field position / down is more advantageous).

I can remember at least one match in 1675's history where we won and had to replay because of a field fault involving the communications of one of our alliance members. We won the replay if I remember correctly, but I don't think a replay is necessary there.
I disagree. If this is the case then having your robot go down is an advantage and you essentially get a free match. In football you can decline a penalty because the other team is giving you the advantage. The replay isn't being caused by the other alliance so why should they be punished for it?
2010 NYC Champions
2007 NYC Finalists
2006 NYC Finalists
2005 NYC Chairman's
2003 NYC Champions
2001 NYC Finalists
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 05:00 PM
AKA: Josh P.
FRC #1675 (Ultimate Protection Squad)

Rookie Year: 2007
BigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblay View Post
I disagree. If this is the case then having your robot go down is an advantage and you essentially get a free match. In football you can decline a penalty because the other team is giving you the advantage. The replay isn't being caused by the other alliance so why should they be punished for it?
It was unclear in my orginal post. The entire match was played, we won, and then a replay was called because one of our robots hadn't moved. (No foghorn.) I don't see it as a free win because we were at a disadvantage the first time in my mind.

I guess you could construe field position as an advantage. (Although this was Lunacy, where not moving means the opposing HP gets to score all day )

My main point was that playing 2 vs 3 was a disadvantage, and you won anyway, but I can see how this is not always true.

Edit: After some more thought I think I see what you are getting at. Maybe the 3rd bot gets in the way if it can drive, etc. I see where the analogy to football breaks down though -- declining the penalty (replay) isn't punishing the other team (alliance) because that's what it would have been without the call. The version using the robot terms in parentheses isn't necessarily true.

Last edited by BigJ : 05-01-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: