OCCRA
Go to Post No caffine for you! - Koko Ed [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

 
Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Ed Law's Avatar
Ed Law Ed Law is offline
Registered User
FRC #2834 (Bionic Black Hawks)
Team Role: Coach
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Rookie Year: 2009
Location: Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, USA
Posts: 608
Ed Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond repute
FIRST Championship OPR with World Ranking

I finished this on Sunday on the way back from St. Louis. I was going to fix the Event results before I pubilsh this. My spreadsheet macro does not handle elimination round substitutions so it is not giving credit to some teams who sub in and advanced. I don't think I will have time to fix the program until summer although it should not take more than a few hours of uninterrupted time.

Here is the link --> http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2174

If you find any error, please let me know and I will fix it next time I publish it.
__________________
Please don't call me Mr. Ed, I am not a talking horse.
Reply With Quote
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 05:37 PM
AGPapa's Avatar
AGPapa AGPapa is offline
Registered User
AKA: Antonio Papa
FRC #2590 (Nemesis)
Team Role: Alumni
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Rookie Year: 2011
Location: Robbinsville, NJ
Posts: 135
AGPapa is a name known to allAGPapa is a name known to allAGPapa is a name known to allAGPapa is a name known to allAGPapa is a name known to allAGPapa is a name known to all
Re: FIRST Championship OPR with World Ranking

Team 2590 was the #2 pick at MAR champs, not #15. 869 was #15.
Team 1114 was the #2 pick at Archimedes, not #15. 4334 was #15.
Team 1218 was the #6 pick at Archimedes, not #11. 2851 was #11.
Team 357 was the #3 pick at MAR champs, not #14. 816 was #14.

Last edited by AGPapa : 05-01-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Ed Law's Avatar
Ed Law Ed Law is offline
Registered User
FRC #2834 (Bionic Black Hawks)
Team Role: Coach
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Rookie Year: 2009
Location: Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, USA
Posts: 608
Ed Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FIRST Championship OPR with World Ranking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGPapa View Post
Team 2590 was the #2 pick at MAR champs, not #15. 869 was #15.
Team 1114 was the #2 pick at Archimedes, not #15. 4334 was #15.
Team 1218 was the #6 pick at Archimedes, not #11. 2851 was #11.
Team 357 was the #3 pick at MAR champs, not #14. 816 was #14.
None of these were errors. It was exactly how the program should have worked. Let me explain.

Since FIRST does not publish the alliance selection order, there were two ways to get this information. When Team 1114 first published their Scouting Database back in 2008, Karthik used to contact people from around the country who were at the other regionals and get the allaiance selection information from them. It was full of errors. Then he came up with the idea to have CD users post the information on CD and the first person to post it will get a Team 1114 T-shirt. When there is an error, others will point out and correct it. It is much better but there were still errors and you never know when it is correct and no more correction will be posted. This year CD users continue to do it but I still see people posting but not following the format and just list the teams in each alliance without paying attention to the order of Team Captain, 1st pick and 2nd pick.

I decided not to use data that is not 100% accurate. I wrote a program to automatically figure out who the alliance captains are and the other 1st and 2nd round picks. In the cases where it is definite, the program will call it out, e.g. # 3 pick. In other cases when there is no way to tell which team in an alliance was picked first or second, the program will list the higher ranked one as # 3 or 14 pick, and the lower ranked team as # 14 or 3 pick.

When FIRST publish the selection order, then I don't need to do this any more. You may notice that for Michigan events, all the teams have a definite selection order. This is because the FTA of all the events email me the Alliance Selection Report that the FMS can write out so I can do the rankings for all the teams under the Michigan point system. When other regional FTAs are willing to post that file in CD, then there will be no more guessing. We have tried to ask FIRST to publish this information but they don't think it is important.
__________________
Please don't call me Mr. Ed, I am not a talking horse.
Reply With Quote
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:17 PM
AGPapa's Avatar
AGPapa AGPapa is offline
Registered User
AKA: Antonio Papa
FRC #2590 (Nemesis)
Team Role: Alumni
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Rookie Year: 2011
Location: Robbinsville, NJ
Posts: 135
AGPapa is a name known to allAGPapa is a name known to allAGPapa is a name known to allAGPapa is a name known to allAGPapa is a name known to allAGPapa is a name known to all
Re: FIRST Championship OPR with World Ranking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Law View Post
None of these were errors. It was exactly how the program should have worked. Let me explain.

Since FIRST does not publish the alliance selection order, there were two ways to get this information. When Team 1114 first published their Scouting Database back in 2008, Karthik used to contact people from around the country who were at the other regionals and get the allaiance selection information from them. It was full of errors. Then he came up with the idea to have CD users post the information on CD and the first person to post it will get a Team 1114 T-shirt. When there is an error, others will point out and correct it. It is much better but there were still errors and you never know when it is correct and no more correction will be posted. This year CD users continue to do it but I still see people posting but not following the format and just list the teams in each alliance without paying attention to the order of Team Captain, 1st pick and 2nd pick.

I decided not to use data that is not 100% accurate. I wrote a program to automatically figure out who the alliance captains are and the other 1st and 2nd round picks. In the cases where it is definite, the program will call it out, e.g. # 3 pick. In other cases when there is no way to tell which team in an alliance was picked first or second, the program will list the higher ranked one as # 3 or 14 pick, and the lower ranked team as # 14 or 3 pick.

When FIRST publish the selection order, then I don't need to do this any more. You may notice that for Michigan events, all the teams have a definite selection order. This is because the FTA of all the events email me the Alliance Selection Report that the FMS can write out so I can do the rankings for all the teams under the Michigan point system. When other regional FTAs are willing to post that file in CD, then there will be no more guessing. We have tried to ask FIRST to publish this information but they don't think it is important.
Wow. That is pretty impressive. I didn't notice the different order for the "#3 or 14" and "#14 or 3". Thanks for the information.
Reply With Quote
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Debbie's Avatar
Debbie Debbie is offline
Registered User
AKA: Debbie May
FRC #1023 (Bedford Express)
Team Role: Coach
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Rookie Year: 2000
Location: Michigan
Posts: 287
Debbie has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FIRST Championship OPR with World Ranking

Thanks for all of this information Ed! We have used it all season as baseline information and it has really helped us prepare for matches before our scouting data is available.
__________________
FRC 1023 - Bedford Express - Coach, 2009 - present
FTC 160 - Dana Broncobytes Coach - 2007 - 2009
FLL - Dana Unicorns Coach - 2000 - 2006

Bedford Express Varsity Letter Video BX Facebook
Reply With Quote
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Ed Law's Avatar
Ed Law Ed Law is offline
Registered User
FRC #2834 (Bionic Black Hawks)
Team Role: Coach
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Rookie Year: 2009
Location: Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, USA
Posts: 608
Ed Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FIRST Championship OPR with World Ranking

I have posted the Excel 2003 version of the data for those who are still holding out and did not upgrade to Excel 2007 or 2010. Excel has been very nice to me this morning. It normally would crash when I try to write it out in Excel 2003 format. I don't know if the macros will work or not. I only tested one of them and it was working, but I know some of the VBA stuff may not be compatible.
You can find the 2003 version in the same place at http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2174
__________________
Please don't call me Mr. Ed, I am not a talking horse.
Reply With Quote
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Ether's Avatar
Ether Ether is offline
systems engineer (retired)
no team
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Rookie Year: 1969
Location: US
Posts: 6,128
Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FIRST Championship OPR with World Ranking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Law View Post
I have posted the Excel 2003 version of the data for those who are still holding out and did not upgrade to Excel 2007 or 2010.
Thanks Ed! I was hoping you'd do that, but didn't want to bug you.


Quote:
Excel ... normally would crash when I try to write it out in Excel 2003 format.
A lot of thoughts about Microsoft software come to mind here, but none of them appropriate for posting.


Reply With Quote
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2012, 10:40 AM
SlimJames SlimJames is offline
Registered User
no team
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Motor City
Posts: 1
SlimJames is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: FIRST Championship OPR with World Ranking

For those of us that don't have excel, can someone please post the OPRs for the top 25-50 teams?
Reply With Quote
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Ether's Avatar
Ether Ether is offline
systems engineer (retired)
no team
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Rookie Year: 1969
Location: US
Posts: 6,128
Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FIRST Championship OPR with World Ranking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimJames View Post
For those of us that don't have excel, can someone please post the OPRs for the top 25-50 teams?
Download and install OpenOffice.


Reply With Quote
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Solidstate89's Avatar
Solidstate89 Solidstate89 is offline
CAD Leader
AKA: AK-Fo'7
FRC #1507 (The WARLOCKS)
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Rookie Year: 2004
Location: Lockport
Posts: 72
Solidstate89 has a spectacular aura aboutSolidstate89 has a spectacular aura about
Re: FIRST Championship OPR with World Ranking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether View Post
Download and install OpenOffice.


Or preferably LibreOffice

As OpenOffice is sort of deprecated after all of the developers left because of how Oracle was treating the project.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-05-2012, 10:54 PM
Ed Law's Avatar
Ed Law Ed Law is offline
Registered User
FRC #2834 (Bionic Black Hawks)
Team Role: Coach
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Rookie Year: 2009
Location: Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, USA
Posts: 608
Ed Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FIRST Championship OPR with World Ranking

I finally had a chance to fix all the issues with teams substituting in elimination round. The macro will check for team substitution and indicate during what match the substitution took place and which alliance it was. However it will not work if there is more than one substitution for the same alliance. Also there is a scenario that there is no way to tell there was a substitution. When a team accepted an invitation to be part of an alliance but never played in any of the elimination round matches because a substitute was called in for the first match in quarterfinals, there is no way to tell that this happened based on what FIRST publishes on their website.

I also make an enhancement that if the FTA provided me with the Alliance Selection report, the macro will read that picking order instead of trying to figure out based on alliance teams. In that case, you will not see something like "#3 or 14 pick" when it cannot be determined for sure.

Here is the link --> http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2174
__________________
Please don't call me Mr. Ed, I am not a talking horse.
Reply With Quote
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Clinton Bolinger's Avatar
Clinton Bolinger Clinton Bolinger is offline
FF - PureMichigan
FRC #2337 (EngiNERDs)
Team Role: Coach
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Rookie Year: 2001
Location: Flint, MI
Posts: 465
Clinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FIRST Championship OPR with World Ranking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Law View Post
However it will not work if there is more than one substitution for the same alliance. [/url]
Ed,

I am pretty sure that you are only allowed one substitution coupon per alliance.

So you shouldn't have to worry about that situation. You database keeps getting better and better each year.

Thanks you for sharing it.

-Clinton-
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 PM.

The Chief Delphi Forums are sponsored by Innovation First International, Inc.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Chief Delphi