OCCRA
Go to Post *gasp* Robotics? bad for your health? I refuse to accept that as an answer. - Kiwi_queen [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 05:34 AM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute
2012 Lessons Learned :The Positive

What did FIRST do particularly well this year?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:08 AM
Ambitious but rubbish!
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Peter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2012 Lessons Learned :The Positive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko Ed View Post
What did FIRST do particularly well this year?
The game was great from the spectator stand point and was a decent mix of all elements. This was probably the 2nd best game I have particpated in. (after 2004 which is a type of game we won't see again)

2009 Newton Division Champions w/ 1507 & 121
2008 Archimedes Division Champions w/ 1124 & 1024
2007 Championship Winners/Newton Division Champions w/190, 987 & 177 The Wall of Maroon
2006 Galileo Division Champions w/ 1126 & 201
www.bobcatrobotics.org
"If you can't do it with brains, it won't be done with hours." - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:12 AM
We Build Robots......and Careers
AKA: Warthog
FRC #1501 (Team T.H.R.U.S.T.)

Rookie Year: 2000
Wayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond repute

The game was easy to watch and score, the penalties were immediately given and there was very little delay as to who won.
2014 STL Regional, #1 seed, Winners with FRC Team 3284 and FRC Team 4500, Also won the Quality Award
2014 GPR #31 seed, Finalist with FRC Team 2641 and FRC Team 4150. Thanks. Also won Quality Award.
2012 BMR #7th seed, Winners Thanks to FRC Team 1756 and FRC Team 4028, UL Safety Award and GM Industrial Design Award

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:28 AM
AKA: Larry Bolan
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2008
ratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to ratdude747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Doenges View Post
The game was easy to watch and score, the penalties were immediately given and there was very little delay as to who won.
I second that.

Dean's List Semi-finalist 2010
1747 Harrison Boiler Robotics 2008-2010
2783 Engineers of Tomorrow 2011
How to wire CAN bus on a budget
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:30 AM
AKA: Debbie May
FRC #1023 (Bedford Express)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2000
Debbie has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie has a reputation beyond reputeDebbie has a reputation beyond repute

I agree the game was easy to follow and fun. Having live scoring including penalty points was great. Having a basketball theme in the middle of March Madness was an added bonus, planned or not. Though I did not get to attend the Finale, it was a huge improvement over last year from the description. Playing all teams on the dome floor again was right. Allowing MAR, so more teams could experience the district structure was good! Great Championship. Great support!

Bedford Express Varsity Letter Video BX Facebook
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:32 AM
simplicity is the key to victory
FRC #0558 (Elm City Robo Squad)

jwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond repute

Besides the GDC giving us the best game in recent history, I would like to thank them for this years motor rules.

The amount of motor power we had to work with this year was fantastic and left a lot of options. I hope to see this and the pneumatic rules make it through to following years. Overall the rulebook was fairly well written (minus some issues with trolling, grappling, and appendages).
[2007-2010] FRC 0229 - Division By Zero
[2003-2006] FRC 0176 - Aces High

Last edited by jwfoss : 05-02-2012 at 07:34 AM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:44 AM
I feel better now.
AKA: Jared341
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2001
Jared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond repute

The game was awesome, the robot construction rules were wide open, and there was FINALLY a working/worthwhile vision system.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:47 AM
FF Pure Mi
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute

The bridges were probably the coolest most dynamic and exciting bonus I have seen in FIRST. They provided an excellent challenge and rewarded good design and driving yet were simple enough with a little teamwork almost anyone could score on them. Rotate a similar element into the game every few years as this one was a winner.

More than Michigan can do the district model. I talked to a lot of MAR participants this year and while almost everyone had a very specific complaint, the season seemed to meet or surpass their expectations over and over.

I was truly shocked how many teams were able to shoot baskets. When the challenge was anounced, I thought this would be a horribly low scoring season. Overall, I am impressed with so many teams doing so well at scoring.

With 1114 winning the Chairman's Award, a lot of myths were "busted". Yes an international team can win. No you don't need a team of 100 students (I think 1114 is around 24). Yes field competitive teams are role models too.

Never judge a book by its cover. When Kareem Abdul Jabar was invited to be an honored guest, there a few vocal people against hero worship of pro-atheletes, only to find out KAJ is a huge supporter of STEM complete with even writing a book targeted to get middle school kids excited about inventors.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:41 AM
The GURU Channel
AKA: Richard Sisk
FRC #2493 (Robokong)

Rookie Year: 2007
rsisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to rsisk

FIRST Choice and Vouchers in the KOP. Making the KOP more flexible for teams is a huge win.

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Flybotix Fanatic
FRC #1885 (iLITE)

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

I was just about to say FIRST Choice this year was better than ever. I like the freedom of choice. The $30 to Banebots voucher, Gates Belts/Sprockets and Bimba Cyllinders were also very welcome and appreciated by my team.

The game is the best I've ever seen in FRC (like the 2010 FTC game). It was very exciting to watch finals. It was nerve racking to see our opponents balance, knowing we had to do the same to win in less time. Box on wheels bots had a place; super stars were still super stars. The rules weren't constricting. Strategy could be the deciding factor when executed.

Last edited by JesseK : 05-02-2012 at 09:58 AM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 10:19 AM
FRC #2363

Rookie Year: 1999
Nate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond repute

Some more 2012 postives:

The bumper rules stayed the more or less the same from the previous few years. Although Bill Miller has mentioned that a special group will soon be tasked with reviewing the bumper rules and possibly revising them, I think they'll find that the seat of the problem is not with the rules, but instead with teams choosing to build something else instead. I hope they'll decide to keep the rules functionally the same and instead find new ways to reinforce the existing rules.

The KOP wheels were awesome.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 10:33 AM
Big new things, with some purple.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth, AndyMark)

Rookie Year: 2005
Nick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond repute

The co-opertition bridge, and it's effect on the rankings.

It allowed for some of the greatest matches (possibly ever,) to occur this year.

1114 vs 2056 at GTR West is a prime example of that.

It allowed 488 to seed #1 at Alamo, an event that 148, 118 or 1477 was expected to seed #1st.

But most importantly, it allowed for some great stories and great experiences for students and mentors alike to happen.

-Nick
(2012-???): Member, VEXU NAR, North American Robotics
(2014-???): Mentor, CyberTooth

Success doesn't always equate to match wins. It's about the wins off the field.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:18 AM
The scariest person in FIRST
AKA: Aviana Knochel, a.k.a. WIG GIRL
FRC #0118 (The Robonauts)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2008
Astrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of sounding repetitive, this year's game was incredible. Easy to follow, fun, high scoring, and required robots to be good at all aspects of gameplay. The co-op bridge also added a meta-strategic aspect, which made alliance selections much more exciting, in my opinion.
Me: * facepalm *
-----------------
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:42 AM
FRC #0365 (MOE)

Carol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond repute

I challenge everyone to make The Positive thread longer than The Negative thread.

MOE 2007 Chairman's Video by MOE video team and Paul Lazarus http://moe365.org/CHMN_AWD_video_2008.php
MOE 10-Year Video Celebration on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETcSMUBUqEs
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Team 967 Mentor
AKA: Dan Niemitalo
FRC #0967 (Iron Lions)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2009
Nemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond repute

This year's game produced an unbelievable number of dramatic matches that came down to the last few seconds. Yet it didn't suffer from a problem of the end game being worth too much. Almost all of our team's matches this year was close until the end, which made the competitions very exciting. And the game is already pretty spectator friendly because of its simplicity and its basketball theme.

Coopertition bonus was great. It embedded a value of FIRST into the game in an effective way. It also evened out the impact of randomly drawing an easy or difficult qualifier schedule, which was nice.

I like the design trade-offs that this year's game design forced by making the elimination rounds score differently than the qualification rounds. Some people griped about that, but it made for a great engineering design challenge.

Edit: The instantaneous final score in most matches was also great.

Last edited by Nemo : 05-02-2012 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Addition

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: