OCCRA
Go to Post Now, almost a day later, no one has begun interpreting, dissecting, attaching synonyms, re-interpreting or otherwise mangling Dave's wise words in an effort to find the hidden key to the game. I smell a conspiracy! - petek [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Dare to be FIRST
AKA: Ryan Hall
FRC #1676 (Pascack Pi-oneers)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2010
Hallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Hallry
Thumbs up Well-Deserved Recognition of Team 25

(Before I start, just a quick background: Hi, my name is Ryan Hall, and I am a junior in high school, and Co-CEO for FRC Team 1676, the Pascack Pi-oneers, neighbors to Raider Robotix. Over the past few years I have grown to know Team 25, and figured I would share this amazing story with the rest of the FIRST world. I’m not that much of a writer, but hopefully I will get the message across).

After we returned back from Championships this year, as any FIRST-obsessed teenager would, I visited Team 25’s website, and stumbled upon this article through a link. In it, Head Coach Wayne Cokeley told an account from 2006, the year he won a WWFA, and their team was 31-0-0 going into Champs, winning both the NJ and Las Vegas Regionals, as well Chairman’s in NJ.

After winning the Newton Division in Atlanta with Teams 968 and 195, they wound up in the finals of Einstein, against 217, 296, and 522. They had already once won the World Champions in 2000. After losing the first match due to 195 not working properly, they learned that a team on the opposing alliance, 296, had broken a masterlink of their chain on their shooter, and did have a replacement part. Raider Robotix, however, did have one on hand. They could have easily done nothing, and most likely would have won the finals. But, being the graciously professional team that they are, they lent the opposing team the needed part, even though they were playing against them, and were already down a match. Although they ended up losing by 4 points 94-98, they felt no remorse for their action, and shrugged it off as if it was no big deal, and did what they felt was right. In the end, Dean sent this letter to the team, appreciating the team’s remarkable act of kindness.

Fast forward to 2012, but the same setting: the finals of Einstein. Again, a robot on the opposing alliance from 25, Team 987, became broken. As Marc, the drive coach of the High Rollers, reports, Shaun, the drive coach from 25, as well as mentors from 180 and 16 went over to the team, and told officials that they wanted to use their time out for them, so that everyone would be completely working in the finals. Again, instead of remaining quiet, and thinking nothing of it, they generously did their best to assist a team they were playing against, risking another chance at the Championship trophy. This time, they managed to pull ahead, and, after aiding 987 with their repairs, ended up winning their 2nd World Championship title.

So, Team 25, (and I’m sure I speak for many here) thank you for all that you have done for FIRST. Thank you for constantly looking out for and helping others, and being an amazingly inspirational role model to others. Our team certainly respects you tremendously, and can only aspire to be like you, as I’m sure a myriad of others do as well. You are certainly a high-class team, and gratefully deserve a magnificent amount of praise.

Mr. Cokeley, Shaun, Bharat, Kristian, and all of the other Raider Robotix team members, mentors, alumni, and parents who I haven’t yet had the honorable opportunity to meet, you certainly have an absolutely marvelous group, and I wish you the best in all of your endeavors in the future. We can’t wait to see you all again next year.

(P.S.: To all of those still wondering what’s in Shaun’s backpack…all I can say is keep an eye out and be patient )

(P.P.S.: Yes Sue, your dream of becoming an inspiration has come true )

Won: 2010 New Jersey Regional, 2010 Virginia Regional (undefeated), 2011 New Jersey Regional, 2011 Virginia Regional, 2011 Brunswick Eruption, 2012 Rutgers MAR District, 2012 girlPOWER Invitational, 2012 Ramp Riot, 2013 Bridgewater-Raritan MAR District
10 Years of Pi-oneers Anniversary Video
10 Years of Pi-oneers T-Shirt

Last edited by Hallry : 05-04-2012 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Added P.P.S.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-04-2012, 05:09 PM
FRC Team 5125 - Mentor
AKA: Sravan S
FRC #5125 (Hawks on the Horizon)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
popnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Well-Deserved Recognition of Team 25

I remember hearing this story, when I got involved in 2007. It was one of the stories that inspired me and wanted to make me work harder in spreading FIRST. I did not know that the same sort of situation occurred this year, and am at not at all surprised. 25 is a truly a Chairman's team, and I strive to achieve the same values that Raider Robotix exemplifies.

FRC Team 5125 Hawks on the Horizon Mentor
FRC Team 4096 Ctrl-Z Former Mentor
FTC Team 5203 #19@! Former Mentor
FRC Team 1403 Cougar Robotics Alumni
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Dare to be FIRST

Hallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by popnbrown View Post
=25 is a truly a Chairman's team, and I strive to achieve the same values that Raider Robotix exemplifies.
It's hard to belief that the last time they won Chairman's was back then, 6 years ago.

Won: 2010 New Jersey Regional, 2010 Virginia Regional (undefeated), 2011 New Jersey Regional, 2011 Virginia Regional, 2011 Brunswick Eruption, 2012 Rutgers MAR District, 2012 girlPOWER Invitational, 2012 Ramp Riot, 2013 Bridgewater-Raritan MAR District
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-04-2012, 07:01 PM
AKA: Mike Doty
FRC #1592 (Bionic Tigers)
Team Role: Alumni

dodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond repute

Is it true that next year is 25's last year as an FRC team?

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-04-2012, 07:07 PM
AKA: Anna Sklenar
FRC #3182 (Athena's Warriors)
Team Role: Mechanical

ZipTie3182 is a jewel in the roughZipTie3182 is a jewel in the roughZipTie3182 is a jewel in the roughZipTie3182 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Well-Deserved Recognition of Team 25

This is an amazing story. I'll make sure to share it with the other students on my team, who I hope will be equally inspired by the caliber of professionalism displayed by team 25. Thank you for sharing this story, it gave me chills

These sorts of stories remind me what's really important in FIRST, and why it's such an amazing program.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Has done the math, have you?
AKA: Dave Button
no team (No Team, Changed Schools)
Team Role: Teacher

Phyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant future

I had the pleasure of working with several students and mentors from 25 when they came down to the VA regional last year. They jumped right into the effort of helping to get an assortment of Rookie robots to pass inspection Thursday morning and worked tirelessly throughout the event lending a hand when needed.
The Plains, VA

“Simplify and add lightness.”
― Colin Chapman, Team Lotus
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Jack of all Trades, Master of None
FRC #0296 (Northern Knights)

Erik Huang is a jewel in the roughErik Huang is a jewel in the roughErik Huang is a jewel in the rough

I'm disappointed in how little this story is passed around on our team. Seriously, I didn't even know it was team 25 that helped us win in 2006.

On behalf of the Northern Knights, I commend thee for your gracious professionalism, and for being the best men and women for others you could be. Thank you team 25!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-04-2012, 10:05 PM
FRC Team 5125 - Mentor
AKA: Sravan S
FRC #5125 (Hawks on the Horizon)

popnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodar View Post
Is it true that next year is 25's last year as an FRC team?
So far rumors, nothing is confirmed, till registration time. I kind of doubt it though. They're a really strong team in all aspects, I'd be surprised if North Brunswick High's administration let the team fall apart.

Also, a photo of a special pep rally their school held (off of facebook):
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-... 540256_n.jpg

I'm from NJ so I know their sports programs a bit, and it's funny because their robotics team probably has more banners than their sports teams.

FRC Team 5125 Hawks on the Horizon Mentor
FRC Team 4096 Ctrl-Z Former Mentor
FTC Team 5203 #19@! Former Mentor
FRC Team 1403 Cougar Robotics Alumni
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-04-2012, 10:37 PM
AKA: Mike Doty
FRC #1592 (Bionic Tigers)
Team Role: Alumni

dodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So far rumors, nothing is confirmed, till registration time. I kind of doubt it though. They're a really strong team in all aspects, I'd be surprised if North Brunswick High's administration let the team fall apart.

Also, a photo of a special pep rally their school held (off of facebook):
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-... 540256_n.jpg

I'm from NJ so I know their sports programs a bit, and it's funny because their robotics team probably has more banners than their sports teams.
All I heard was that they were all saying that after next year, and going to a very far travel regional, they would disband the team because they are all tired of competing after 25 years.

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-04-2012, 10:48 PM
All I do is twin.
AKA: elixir
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)

Rookie Year: 2006
Alexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alexa Stott Send a message via Skype™ to Alexa Stott

Rumors of our death have been greatly exaggerated.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-04-2012, 11:50 PM
Where's the reset button?
AKA: Brandon Liatys
FRC #2495 (Hamilton West Robotics)

Brandon_L has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon_L has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon_L has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon_L has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon_L has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon_L has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon_L has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon_L has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon_L has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon_L has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon_L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I remember hearing this story, when I got involved in 2007. It was one of the stories that inspired me and wanted to make me work harder in spreading FIRST. I did not know that the same sort of situation occurred this year, and am at not at all surprised. 25 is a truly a Chairman's team, and I strive to achieve the same values that Raider Robotix exemplifies.
I remember hearing this also when I started in 2008, I never knew it was team 25 though. I heard the same exact story and either forgot the teams or was never told. I've repeated the story to my team many times, especially at events where we were in a similar situation.
2013-2014: MAR Volunteer
2014 Offseason Schedule: Monty Madness, H.E.R.E., MidKnight Mayhem, Brunswick Eruption, Duel on the Delaware
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2012, 12:37 AM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_L View Post
I remember hearing this also when I started in 2008, I never knew it was team 25 though. I heard the same exact story and either forgot the teams or was never told. I've repeated the story to my team many times, especially at events where we were in a similar situation.
It was actually 968 who loaned them the masterlink.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2012, 12:53 AM
Rookie Mentor
AKA: Ian
FRC #0997 (Spartans)

Rookie Year: 2009
IanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to Team 25. You guys not only have a knack for scoring foam balls, but are very classy while doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallry View Post
(P.S.: To all of those still wondering what’s in Shaun’s backpack…all I can say is keep an eye out and be patient )
You're killing me - He (supposedly) spills the contents for the world to see on Einstein, but only those close enough/not watching the webcast get to know the secret? Seriously?
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2012, 01:04 AM
All I do is twin.
AKA: elixir
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)

Rookie Year: 2006
Alexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alexa Stott Send a message via Skype™ to Alexa Stott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
It was actually 968 who loaned them the masterlink.
Yeah, it was really an act of the whole alliance (of us, 968, and 195) so both those teams definitely deserve any credit/recognition/praise from it.

Mr. Cokeley wrote a bit about it earlier in April on our website as a sort of "look back" thing, which is where I think the confusion came from.

His exact words were "In the interim between rounds word got to our alliance that a member of the competitor’s alliance had broken a linkage or something and didn’t have a replacement part. Our alliance had the needed part and we gave it over so they could play. It was no big deal. It was the right thing to do."

You can read his full post here. The letter we (and I'm assuming our two alliance partners) received from Dean Kamen afterwards is posted here.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2012, 06:15 AM
Dare to be FIRST

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW View Post
You're killing me - He (supposedly) spills the contents for the world to see on Einstein, but only those close enough/not watching the webcast get to know the secret? Seriously?
As I said, "keep an eye out and be patient." You might be in for a surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa Stott View Post
Yeah, it was really an act of the whole alliance (of us, 968, and 195) so both those teams definitely deserve any credit/recognition/praise from it.
Ah, okay, I was not aware of that. Based on the letter (which I previously thought only you received), I thought it was 25 who had the part on hand. 968 and 195, much congrats and thanks to you; you deserve great commendation as well =).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: