OCCRA
Go to Post I'm not basing success on winning a regional. Success is learning by building the best system you can. In the engineering industries, the best system is the one chosen. - AdamHeard [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2012, 09:18 AM
<< (2008 Game Piece)
FRC #1918 (NC Gears)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2006
Wayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Well-Deserved Recognition of Team 25

The PBS New Hour (or whatever they called it back then) did a really nice story about FIRST Robotics in 2006. It mentioned this episode as an example of what was so different and good about FIRST. Here is a link to a transcript of the story. I don't know if the video is still available.

In the 2012 Galileo quarter-finals (1718/1918/2337 vs. 180/25/16), we struggled with electrical problems. We used our time-out between the first and second matches and identified a sidecar problem between the second and third matches. Somebody lent us a spare (I don't know who, but thanks) and our opponents offered to take their time-out so we could get fixed. We didn't need it, but the whole experience is another classic example of what makes FIRST such a great place to be. 25 is still a great team, but they are not alone.

FRC 1918 (Howell & West Michigan in 2015)
FTC 6043 & 7911
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2012, 12:45 AM
Feeling Honorable
FRC #1676 (Pascack PI Oneers)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa Stott View Post
Rumors of our death have been greatly exaggerated.
Indeed. Team 25 may change, people come and go, but even if all the mentors were to leave (however unlikely), don't you think there'd be others who can fill those roles?

Mentor Burnout is a serious issue for most every team, high-performing teams moreso, but that's not why most teams disappear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW View Post
You're killing me - He (supposedly) spills the contents for the world to see on Einstein, but only those close enough/not watching the webcast get to know the secret? Seriously?
^^^What Ryan Said....

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2012, 01:23 AM
Attack3 Joystick Fort Builder
AKA: Wil Payne (@Wil_Payne)
FRC #0422 (The Mech Tech Dragons)

Rookie Year: 2008
PayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to PayneTrain

The true definition of a role model team is one that other teams will try to emulate. If I were to establish a coin jar in our shop that made someone deposit a nickel every time someone said "Well, this is the way 25 did/does it," we would probably empty it twice during the build season. I've said before that when I;'m behind the glass, I am usually very focused, but when 25 was steamrolling us in various elimination matches the last few years, I couldn't do much but be in awe.

"The Want to Win" is a culture my graduating class of 2012 has left behind for other students to use. Winning may not be everything, but it's a challenge that we now set in front of ourselves that we didn't in the past. It;s a goal we set to make ourselves better than we have been. It's a long, messy road, but a light sits at the end of it.

I know 25 and other MAR teams that we played in 2 New Jersey Regionals and 2 Virginia Regionals over the last few years helped change the perception on the team from a club that builds a robot to a team that builds people.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:17 AM
FRC #0011 (MORT - Team 11)

Rookie Year: 1997
techhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations. Team 25 as our neighbors in NJ we always welcome your efforts on behalf of FIRST. We also appreciate that this year was an outstanding year for your team and your efforts. We look forward to seeing what you accomplish in the future.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

During a time of travels, I traveled to New Jersey to check out their off season, Brunswick Eruption. Watching teams run an off season is a very telling experience and I was very impressed with the event and the way it was run. I met many people, fell in love with New Jersey, and was inspired to learn more, do more, and be more. 25 has that effect on people.

I think part of that is because they are so human and yet, so focused on excellence. The human parts always seem to center around things like having batteries fall out on the road, running out of gas, and eating at really great and fun restaurants. The excellence is not just in performance, it is in the level of discussions that they willingly have with guests from out-of-town who want to learn about team structure, off season events, being human, and catching the excellence fever. I'm very grateful for such powerful alumni such as Kristian, Morgan, and Alexa. They continue to support their team in the best ways that they can and to make an impact on people like me. It's pretty special.

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 05-06-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: