OCCRA
Go to Post The biggest thing is you don't have to make your robot like another teams. Come up with something unique and go from there. RAISE THE BAR..... - camtunkpa [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Kit & Additional Hardware
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2012, 12:46 AM
AKA: Chris Steiner
FRC #4488 (ShockWave)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2007
steinerc is an unknown quantity at this point
Beginner's Kit

We're starting a new FRC team and want to buy a kit to build a practice bot that will behave much like the competition version. Any suggestions?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2012, 01:23 AM
Going full circle
AKA: Josepher
no team (Team WARP)
Team Role: Mentor

Joe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Joe G.
Re: Beginner's Kit

Welcome! One of these bases should get you started. You can use a VEX cortex to control it now, or wait until you are a registered team and use your credit to purchase an additional cRIO.

2007-2010: Student, FRC 1687, Highlander Robotics
2012-2014: Technical Mentor, FRC 1687, Highlander Robotics
2015-???: Lead Mentor, Team WARP (2015 rookie)

http://wordsaboutrobots.blogspot.com/, the place where I make words about making robots. Updated 7/30.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2012, 01:23 AM
Sunny
FRC #5283

ttldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond repute

You can get your hands on a Kit of Parts chassis(C-Base or kitbot) fairly easily.

(1) Some teams opt not to use the kitbot, so those materials often go unused. You might be able to contact a local area veteran and see if they're willing to lend you the materials. Chances are pretty good you'll find someone willing to not only lend you materials, but also help out with the build/programming.

(2) If you're set on purchasing your own parts, then AndyMark.com usually sells your run of the mill FIRST products. You can find their various drive bases here.

- Sunny G.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2012, 01:33 AM
Going full circle
AKA: Josepher
no team (Team WARP)

Joe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Joe G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttldomination View Post
(1) Some teams opt not to use the kitbot, so those materials often go unused. You might be able to contact a local area veteran and see if they're willing to lend you the materials. Chances are pretty good you'll find someone willing to not only lend you materials, but also help out with the build/programming.
+1 to this. A quick search shows teams 1510 and 2898 as being in your immediate area. Get in touch with them, and I'm sure they'd be glad to help.

2007-2010: Student, FRC 1687, Highlander Robotics
2012-2014: Technical Mentor, FRC 1687, Highlander Robotics
2015-???: Lead Mentor, Team WARP (2015 rookie)

http://wordsaboutrobots.blogspot.com/, the place where I make words about making robots. Updated 7/30.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Missouri S&T Sophomore
FRC #2410 (BV CAPS Metal Mustang Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2010
CalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to CalTran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinerc View Post
Any suggestions?
This. The Kitbot on Steroids, as provided by Simbotics 1114, is one of the best possible drivetrains to be created from the KOP. It comes with complete instructions, a Bill of Materials, and even a CAD model for you to add your own creations to.

Team 2410 thinks KISSing is amazing! Keep It Super Safe!

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you don't know why. On our team, theory and practice comes together. Nothing works and nobody knows why.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Has done the math, have you?
AKA: Dave Button
no team (No Team, Changed Schools)
Team Role: Teacher

Phyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant futurePhyrxes has a brilliant future

Are you stepping up to include FRC as a competition in addtion to others: VRC, FTC, etc?

If you have a cortex and students familiar with its use by all means use that to jump start controls without buying a CRIO. The power distribution hardware will still be a necessary purchase but having spares is never a bad thing.
The Plains, VA

“Simplify and add lightness.”
― Colin Chapman, Team Lotus
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2012, 09:15 AM
no team (AndyMark, Inc.)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Brant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant futureBrant Bowen has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Brant Bowen Send a message via Skype™ to Brant Bowen

We get this question a lot here at AM. I usually try to start out by explaining how to get in contact with surrounding teams to see if they have leftover parts. Past that I suggest this kit to start with since it is the most similar to this past year's kit of parts.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Pink flamingo on the lawn of life
AKA: @taylor1529
FRC #1529 (CyberCards)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2006
Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brant Bowen View Post
We get this question a lot here at AM. I usually try to start out by explaining how to get in contact with surrounding teams to see if they have leftover parts. Past that I suggest this kit to start with since it is the most similar to this past year's kit of parts.
I think Brant intended to link here. Note that the cRIO is not included.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Team 967 Mentor
AKA: Dan Niemitalo
FRC #0967 (Iron Lions)

Rookie Year: 2009
Nemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond repute

Has anybody had luck with this? If it works, that seems like the cheapest option for bridging the gap between a practice bot and getting the first cRio with the rookie kit of parts.

When our team tried to control an offseason bot with an Arduino last year, we had issues getting Jaguars to work. Our programmers told me that the existing libraries weren't working for us.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Former Coach of the Kuh-Nig-Its
AKA: Ann Fairburn
FRC #3931 (Cockadoodle Dominators)

Rookie Year: 2006
annie1939 has a spectacular aura aboutannie1939 has a spectacular aura aboutannie1939 has a spectacular aura about

I started a new team this year and purchased the NI ROCK with CIMple box with C-Base Chassis, 6" FIRST wheels (am-0951) ( http://www.andymark.com/product-p/am-0951.htm) and it was one of the smartest things that I did. It meant that the kickoff was not quite so overwhelming for the team. They were familiar with the parts and knew how they went together. It also meant that we had the programmers up and running with a prototype the first day because all we had to do was drop in the C-Rio which we wouldn't need until later in the build process. We also had spare parts available as we built the competition robot. Our poor little prototype bot was denuded as the season went on.

In addition to the kit, get parts that allow you to attach "stuff" to motors shafts or axles for prototyping. I am still kicking myself that I didn't have hubs like these http://www.andymark.com/Hubs-s/215.htm on hand to attach wheels to axles for our shooter prototype. I had forgotten how much we used them on my old team and we wasted time waiting for parts.

My other piece of advice is to put as much effort into the Rookie All Star award as you do the robot. Getting that award is much more "controllable" than winning with the robot. There isn't as much luck involved. If the robot breaks down or you get unfortunate alliances, then you are done for the season. However, if you have the team work hard on the All Star stuff early in the year(fall), you have developed a team that understands what FIRST is about and you have started them on the outreach mission that is the focus of FIRST. If you win Rookie All Star, you are qualified to go to the World Championships where the team can see what they are aspiring to. This also helps to make the team more sustainable because the blunt truth is that sponsors like winners. If you can establish that early, it will make fundraising easier the next year. And kids want to be on a winning team. If the rest of the school sees that you have won and gotten to go to World Championships, it will be easier to recruit members the next year.

And when I say there is luck involved in winning with the robot, I do not mean that it is only luck, but Murphy hits the best of us. An good robot lucky enough to be paired with good alliances all day will get picked over a robot that is just as good but had been unlucky enough to be in weak alliances. Most teams do not have a scouting system that is sophisticated enough to select the overlooked "diamond in the rough" and only look at the rankings. Even one of the Championship winners,Bomb Squad, was having problems all day and was ranked 27th. They were not showing as well as they had at their previous regionals. (We played them in KC and thought they were awesome). They were fortunate that SPAM was sophisticated enough to see past that,and that doesn't always happen at local regionals.

So I like to have as much effort put into the awards that are more "controllable." Either we put enough effort in, or we didn't. And I make sure that all the awards are respected as much as the finalist award. Winning with the robot is the cherry on top, but may be a rare occurrence.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2012, 04:47 PM
The Skunkfather
AKA: Bob Steele
FRC #1983 (Skunk Works Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
Bob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond repute

Our team is in Seattle and if you can't find anyone more local to help or if you are short a few parts we will be happy to help you out.
Please contact us and let us know how we can be of service.

Good luck
Las Vegas 07 WINNER..(w/ 1425/254)...Seattle 08 WINNER (w/ 2046/949).. Oregon 09 WINNER (w/1318/2635)SEA 10 RCA , Spokane 12 WINNER (w/2122/4082) and RCA--- Central Washington 13 WINNER (w/1425/753)--Seattle 13 WINNER (w/948/492) & RCA --Spokane 13 WINNER (w/2471/4125) Spokane 14 - DCA --Auburn 14 - WINNER (w1318/4960) --District CMP 14 WINNER (w 1318/2907, District CMA, CMP 14 Newton Finalist w 971/341/3147

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2012, 06:17 PM
AKA: Anthony Lapp
None #0118 (Team RUSH and Robonauts)

Rookie Year: 1996
ajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Has anybody had luck with this? If it works, that seems like the cheapest option for bridging the gap between a practice bot and getting the first cRio with the rookie kit of parts.

When our team tried to control an offseason bot with an Arduino last year, we had issues getting Jaguars to work. Our programmers told me that the existing libraries weren't working for us.
My biased opinion is that A RobotOpen Shield is a nice low-cost solution to get a robot up and running or to keep one running after the FRC season is complete. It isn't without limitations, but the price is right for the flexibility and open-source capabilities.
221 Robotics Systems - Quality Hardware, Made in the USA
RobotOpen
anthony@221robotics.com
Twitter us: @221RobotSystems
Team 1 --> 94 --> 68 --> 221 --> 857 --> 27 --> 118
Design Engineer/Fabricator and 17 year vet
Team Rush (FRC27) and Robonauts (FRC118)
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2012, 06:37 PM
FRC #0372 (Robo-Knights)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2005
372 lives on has a spectacular aura about372 lives on has a spectacular aura about372 lives on has a spectacular aura about

If your not already in touch with the other beaverton teams I know they would be more then happy to help you with anything you need.

hur's sum links:

http://bpsrobotics.org/

http://www.oregonfirst.org/teams/findateam/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: