OCCRA
Go to Post Gotta love those free-range robots! Yum! - petek [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > FIRST in Michigan
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Chris Hibner's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Eschewing Obfuscation Since 1990
AKA: Lars Kamen's Roadie
FRC #0051 (Wings of Fire)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Chris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Great Lakes Regional History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Baker View Post
45 was on the finalist alliance. We had a good alliance in 65, 45, and 1, but lost to 47's alliance. I forget who their third partner was.
I remember it was 111/47/45 at Midwest in 2000. For some reason I thought 45 (the robot centipede) and 47 also teamed up at GLR. Oh well.

2007 and 2008 almost didn't happen in my memory. I think I missed 2 out of 3 days at those events due to my career pursuits at that time. I don't remember a lot about those two years other than Atlanta.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I remember talking to Ken Patton after the final match against 47's alliance. We both agreed that the only way 47 was gonna lose that year was if their robot broke. They ended up breaking a weld on their arm in the elims at the Championships, against 312 and 131.

Andy B.
Andy,
Wasn't that the year that the pipe broke? We all thought it was a weld and I remember talking to Joe on the way back from the field after the break. There was no way for them to make the repair as the pipe had a compound fracture. About 6 inches long and around the entire pipe as I remember. Maybe Dr. Joe is watching.
It was one very sweet machine! Ours was my favorite of all time and it is still in the awards case at the school.
We were in the #8 alliance in EMU according to our history page.
www.wildstang.org

Last edited by Al Skierkiewicz : 05-14-2012 at 01:17 PM.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Coach - Team 1718
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2001
Craig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond repute

I love the district model, but I forgot how much fun it was having out of state teams come to MI to play - looking at this thread has been nostalgic.

2008 was the year of the decline - I believe the #1 alliance was turned down 4 times before getting their pick. I believe that was Paul Copioli's doing to break up any super alliances. We were sitting in the #4 seed and it certainly messed up our alliance selection plans.
2014 FIRST Championship, Curie Field - 2nd seed; Finalists

#19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2012, 03:30 PM
FF - Team 2
AKA: Nicholas
FRC #0313
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
nikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Roys View Post
I love the district model, but I forgot how much fun it was having out of state teams come to MI to play - looking at this thread has been nostalgic.

2008 was the year of the decline - I believe the #1 alliance was turned down 4 times before getting their pick. I believe that was Paul Copioli's doing to break up any super alliances. We were sitting in the #4 seed and it certainly messed up our alliance selection plans.
66 was turned down, by 67, 33, and 27 I believe.. Yes probably by Pauls doing, but heck it was a Michigan Event, there are always gonna be super alliances no matter what, pre or post district model.

#20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at iRobot
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #3958 (FRC Teams Need Names?)

Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Skierkiewicz View Post
Andy,
Wasn't that the year that the pipe broke? We all thought it was a weld and I remember talking to Joe on the way back from the field after the break. There was no way for them to make the repair as the pipe had a compound fracture. About 6 inches long and around the entire pipe as I remember. Maybe Dr. Joe is watching.
It was one very sweet machine! Ours was my favorite of all time and it is still in the awards case at the school.
We were in the #8 alliance in EMU according to our history page.
I could literally feel my face flush red as I read this post.

That robot came out so well. It was nearly a fiasco because we made a major design error in the gearing of the main arm drive but Mike Ciavaglia (who was "King of the Machine" that year) redesigned things at the 11th hour and implemented it just in the nick of time.

We also had a drive team that was just amazing that year. He was easily the best swerve driver we ever had. Most Swerve Drivers still think in X-Y motions even though they have the whole plane to work with. Our driver that year would think it, and the robot glided into place.

And, then at Disney, we ran pretty well in qualifications, we had a great partner (a team out of Florida -- HeatWave I think). And... ...we broke in the first match that mattered.

My brain just could register what had happened at first. Our massive ball handling mechanism just fell into the high trough as we were scoring balls.

In retrospect, we were able to determine that this was a design flaw baked into the robot from the start. A weld joint that was different from every other weld on the robot. It looked okay at first glance but when you think about it with benefit of hindsight, it was probably braking the first day we started practicing. 3 Regionals, 1 set of qualifying matches and 1 game later, it broke in a very catastrophic manner.

When the Grey Beards from the early days of Chief Delphi get together we invariably talk about that season as The One that got away from us.

But... ...life is long, and being a Cubs Fan from the crib, I say to myself, "there is always next year!"

And there is...

Cheers,
Joe J.
The best team you've never heard (yet)
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Paul Copioli's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
#BuildBlitz #TeamCopioli
no team (TeamCopioli)

Rookie Year: 2000
Paul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Roys View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeairmancurry View Post
66 was turned down, by 67, 33, and 27 I believe.. Yes probably by Pauls doing, but heck it was a Michigan Event, there are always gonna be super alliances no matter what, pre or post district model.
Yep. 2008 GLR was finally going to be the year 217 won GLR ...

We, unfortunately, had a large target on our back at GLR in 2008 and some of the best defense of the year was played on us (especially by 201) during qualifications. We were sitting at 16 after Saturday morning. 66 was the number 1 seed as a lapbot (a good lapbot) and everyone knew they were picking 217. The problem was that every team in 2-8 were really, really good and super alliances ,were going to happen if we didn't do anything about it. 2 - 8 order was: 47,27,1718,33,65,107,67. Knowing who was going to be snatched up within the top 8, I went to the lead mentors and students of 66 and said the following: "OK, we will obviously say yes to your selection, but if you want to make it to the finals I need you to do the following ... If you do this it will be very awkward for your student but believe me it will pay off in the end"
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Johnson View Post
And, then at Disney, we ran pretty well in qualifications, we had a great partner (a team out of Florida -- HeatWave I think). And... ...we broke in the first match that mattered.

My brain just could register what had happened at first. Our massive ball handling mechanism just fell into the high trough as we were scoring balls.

Joe, here is a video of the match in which your weld broke at Disney.

Sincerely,
Andy
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Travis Hoffman's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Canada!!!!!!!11111!!111
FRC #0048 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E.)

Travis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Joe, here is a video of the match in which your weld broke at Disney.

Sincerely,
Andy
Twist the knife, much?

Don't know about you all, but any exchange between Andy Baker and Dr. Joe makes me very nostalgic. Retro.
NEOFRA / Delphi E.L.I.T.E. FLL Regional Partner
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Hey,
I just saw that girl driver from CD a few weeks ago.
www.wildstang.org
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2012, 04:21 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)

Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Hoffman View Post
Don't know about you all, but any exchange between Andy Baker and Dr. Joe makes me very nostalgic. Retro.
Retro? They are both rookies again! (Or is Joe's team second year now?)

But it is really cool to see these tales of the great days retold.
Mentor since 2002 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2012, 04:27 PM
FF - PureMichigan
FRC #2337 (EngiNERDs)
Team Role: Coach

Clinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Skierkiewicz View Post
Hey,
I just saw that girl driver from CD a few weeks ago.
I hear that she is still involved with FIRST in Michigan.

Maybe even involved with planning the MSC, formerly known as GLR.

-Clinton-
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:33 PM
Going full circle
AKA: Josepher
FRC #5400 (Team WARP)

Rookie Year: 2007
Joe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Joe G.

Is any other video of the Chief Delphi 2000 machine avaliable? I am continuously hearing about how it revolutionized the sport, and was the most dominant robot in FRC history, and yet the only match I've seen it in is the one it broke.

Thanks!

2007-2010: Student, FRC 1687, Highlander Robotics
2012-2014: Technical Mentor, FRC 1687, Highlander Robotics
2015-???: Lead Mentor, FRC 5400, Team WARP

http://wordsaboutrobots.blogspot.com/, the place where I make words about making robots. Updated 7/30.
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2012, 06:43 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Retro? They are both rookies again! (Or is Joe's team second year now?)

But it is really cool to see these tales of the great days retold.
Champs are over, there are no more rookies!
www.wildstang.org
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2012, 09:56 AM
]\/[ Go Blue!
AKA: Solomon
FRC #1076 (Pi Hi Samurai)

Rookie Year: 2006
Zebra_Fact_Man is a splendid one to beholdZebra_Fact_Man is a splendid one to beholdZebra_Fact_Man is a splendid one to beholdZebra_Fact_Man is a splendid one to beholdZebra_Fact_Man is a splendid one to beholdZebra_Fact_Man is a splendid one to beholdZebra_Fact_Man is a splendid one to beholdZebra_Fact_Man is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to Zebra_Fact_Man

This may or may not be the appropriate thread to post this in, but it regards FiM history, so I'll give it a shot.

It appears FIRST did not keep the match results from before 2001 (or at least I cannot find them using Wayback), but I am wondering if any individuals may have either kept this information for themselves or have access to this data stored somewhere and would be willing to share it. Particularly GLR, WMR, MWR, and Epcot.

My primary motivation here is mostly curiosity in regards to team success vs. staying power when FIRST was still small in comparison to present time.
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Solomon,
While it does not contain specific match data, our history pages will give you some info on our placement and awards at GLR.
http://www.wildstang.org/main/history.php
www.wildstang.org

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: