OCCRA
Go to Post Picking up tetra's is going to be as easy as picking up a person of the opposite sex. While a select few will master it; others will be bumbling maroons.. - Elgin Clock [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-17-2012, 08:42 AM
FF Pure Mi
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute
Video at Events (Regionals & districts)

I am looking for some information on how the main video feed is produced at FRC events. I have generally seen the video stands, and I know that there is often a panel that brings the video together, and someone must select what goes into the main feed. Who does this stuff?

The reason I am bringing this up is that with video cameras getting smaller and better, and memory getting cheaper, I have recently noticed some 4 & 8 channel surveilance systems that seem like they would be a good way to record some FRC events for later use. This year and last year, I would have really liked at least 3 stationary views:
3/4 full field looking at red scoring, 3/4 full field looking at blue scoring, and then 1 side profile capturing true full field.

Can someone fill me in on how current video is produced at an event?
Has anyone tried the security camera route? One of the events in California that I saw on a webcast sturck me as attempting this kind of footage.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:34 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al WFFA 2005
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Video at Events (Regionals & districts)

IKE,
The regional committee decides and budgets for video at the event. Most often it is supplied through the A/V guys. There are some cameras mounted on the drivers stations for use. Cameras home run to the A/V house position where a "director" determines the shot, the scoring computer etc. and then also directs the audio guy. Everything from the playback of DVDs, the National Anthem and flag video all the way to the end of the awards go through this position. The press box for team recording is also provided from this equipment. Depending on the venue and crew, they may also provide the power and lighting.
www.wildstang.org
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-17-2012, 10:10 AM
The GURU Channel
AKA: Richard Sisk
FRC #2493 (Robokong)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
rsisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to rsisk
Re: Video at Events (Regionals & districts)

At the LA regional, the A/V guys often use two lipstick cams mounted on a stand at the corner of the field to get close up corner shots or drive team shots (depending on how they are aimed).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: