OCCRA
Go to Post This special is supposed to promote science, not convert the world to gracious professionalism (though that wouldn't be such a bad idea). - Karibou [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > College & University Education
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Andrew Lynch
FRC #2587 (DiscoBots)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
lynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lynca
Words of Wisdom to new Graduates

For all the new graduates on Chief Delphi, I hope you will have an inspiring graduation ceremony. Here is a an article of many fantastic commencement speakers.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/3435...bama-lynch.htm

I had the honor to attend Salman Khan's talk at Rice University in person. I highly suggest listening to his speech the most. Khan is one of those figures who has transformed education and his story is fascinating.

The IB Times article makes me wonder how many other great commencement speeches are available on the web?

Last edited by lynca : 05-22-2012 at 01:57 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2012, 02:03 PM
AKA: Ed Barker
FRC #1311 (Kell Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
ebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Words of Wisdom to new Graduates

Bill Gates address at Harvard:

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2007/06/remarks-of-bill-gates-harvard-commencement-2007/
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-23-2012, 06:54 AM
Engineering Coach
AKA: Allen "JAG" Gregory
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2003
AllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AllenGregoryIV

Neil Gaiman Addresses the University of the Arts Class of 2012
http://vimeo.com/42372767

Team 647 | Cyber Wolf Corps | Alumni | 2003-2006 | Shoemaker HS
Team 2587 | DiscoBots | Mentor | 2008-2011 | Rice University / Houston Food Bank
Team 3847 | Spectrum | Coach | 2012-20... | St Agnes Academy
LRI | Alamo Regional | 2014-20...
"Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Tech once...
AKA: Kara Bakowski
no team (FRC1189 alum)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2008
Karibou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Karibou Send a message via Skype™ to Karibou

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenGregoryIV View Post
Neil Gaiman Addresses the University of the Arts Class of 2012
http://vimeo.com/42372767
Not sure if it's just me or not, but I had to copy-paste the link to get it to work. Just a heads up for anyone else.

Neil Gaiman is awesome. I definitely recommend watching this.
FRC 1189 (2008-2011): Team Captain, Pit Crew, Website group leader, Team Education group leader, Proud Alum. We've got spirit, yes we do...
Volunteer (2010-present): Escanaba District '14, MidKnight Mayhem '13, Detroit District '13, IRI '10 '12, Waterford District '11 '12, MARC '12, CMP Galileo '11

WMWBS '10 '11
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2004
Ian Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it is possible for anyone to have missed Steve Job's address at Stanford in 2005, but if you lived under a rock there it is.

On the other side, I enjoyed Tim Cook's address to Auburn as well.

Randy Pausch's final address to CMU is very good, and even better if you've seen his Last Lecture.

Adam Savage's remarks at Sarah Lawrence are pretty good, but in my opinion his TED talk on his obsessions is probably the most inspring 15 minutes I've ever sat through. Its just so good... I've watched it more times than I might care to admit.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2012, 11:15 PM
esse quam videri
AKA: with an "i"
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
KelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond repute

While this may not be the most eloquent speech it is one that I will remember for a few reasons. Ray Bradbury was conferred an honorary degree by my undergrad. He was unable to come due to an illness but he recorded a video for us. His presentation starts at about 7:00 minutes in.

To summarize for those that aren't going to watch, he talks about how he didn't go to school because he was poor, but, he went to the library and earned a degree in library. He then talks about how all you need to do is do what you love, and how he did what he loved his entire life, and how that is all that matters.

Keep that in mind, if you go into the working world and don't end up liking what you are doing take time to re-evaluate where you are, and where you have been, and what makes you truly happy, before it becomes too late.
We convey many messages in the things that we write, but in many cases, especially with children, you don't want to end with "This is what you should think." You want to end with something that says, "Now, you think about it." To a child, and to an adult, too, what you discover by yourself, or what you think you discover by yourself, is what stays. -Norton Juster

~Live what you love~
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Engineering Coach
AKA: Allen "JAG" Gregory
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2003
AllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AllenGregoryIV

Another interesting read or video

Michael Lewis's "Don't Eat Fortune's Cookie" Princeton 2012 Baccalaureate Remarks

Team 647 | Cyber Wolf Corps | Alumni | 2003-2006 | Shoemaker HS
Team 2587 | DiscoBots | Mentor | 2008-2011 | Rice University / Houston Food Bank
Team 3847 | Spectrum | Coach | 2012-20... | St Agnes Academy
LRI | Alamo Regional | 2014-20...
"Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2004
Ian Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond repute

At my own own commencement a few weeks ago our keynote speaker gave a canned decidedly boring uninspiring speech. They gave an honorary degree to Steven Chu, US Secretary of Energy and his comments were very good. He brought a bunch of quotes about technology, the most interesting of which was the following from the mid 1830s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysius Lardner
Men might as well project a voyage to the Moon as attempt to employ steam navigation against the stormy North Atlantic Ocean.
Worth noting that the Atlantic was crossed by both the Sirius and the Great Western in 1838. The Voyage to the moon came roughly 130 years later.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: