OCCRA
Go to Post At this point in build season, I'm thinking that whatever type we can get built and working is the best type, by far! - MrForbes [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2012, 08:26 PM
lovin college
FRC #4475
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2011
mlantry is a splendid one to beholdmlantry is a splendid one to beholdmlantry is a splendid one to beholdmlantry is a splendid one to beholdmlantry is a splendid one to beholdmlantry is a splendid one to beholdmlantry is a splendid one to behold
How did you findout about/became involved with in FIRST?

I found out about FIRST during a memorial day parade in 2009 when i saw a robot driving down shooting these odd looking balls. When i saw the robot, I was just amazed by it, to be honest i thought it was the coolest thing i'd ever seen. From there i became involved with my middle school's FLL team then a year later with my high school's FRC team. I was just wondering how others became involved with FIRST?

Team 1676- 2011-2014
-Mechanical 2011-2014, Subteam leader 2013(Climber), 2014(Shooter)
-Robot Operator 2014

George G. White FLL mentor 2011-2014

“Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute.”
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2012, 09:20 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH
Re: How did you findout about/became involved with in FIRST?

Back when I first "got involved", there was no FTC. There was no FVC. There was no AndyMark (though there were an Andy Baker and a Mark Koors, both on team 45). There was no FLL. There were no alliances. The competition that year? Ladder Logic.

My dad had gotten involved with my K-12 school's robotics team (formerly known as team 61, Southern California Circuit Breakers--now 207, 294, and 330), known as team 82, the BeachBots. (The number change to 330 happened the following year due to FRC numbering at the time.) I hung out in the shop if I had nothing else to do--I was all of 9 years old at the time. From 1998 to 2000, I hung out in the shop. In 2001 and 2002, I couldn't do that due to site rules. But in 2003, I was able to join the team.

I've been to the inaugural SVR, Los Angeles, Arizona, and San Diego regionals (and, in the case of SVR, L.A., and Arizona, the second year as well--matter of fact, I didn't miss an L.A. Regional until 2010, and I went to at least one competition every year from 1999 to 2010, then ran into doing other stuff and haven't been in two years). I went to Nationals in 2000. And I thought these robots were kind of cool. Trust me, I officially joined as soon as I could. Some would say I never left.

I still have a badge somewhere labeling me an official Robo-Orphan.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-23-2012, 12:39 AM
botgirl
AKA: Kelli
FRC #1802 (Stealth)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
treffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud oftreffk has much to be proud of

I had a cousin on team 1108 and when I heard about the program while in middle school I was insanely jealous. My freshman year we found out that my high school was starting a team. I (thankfully) was allowed to join the "senior only" team. That year we had 2 freshman, 1 sophomore, 2 juniors, and 7 seniors. That was all she wrote, I've been extremely involved since.

I actually was introducing myself today at a FLL meeting I was at and realized I just finished my 7th year in FRC, 5th in FLL and 2nd in JFLL. There was a comment made that the uber-volunteer gets burnt out and can leave at any time, I didn't realized we were allowed to leave. I thought we were stuck for life.

Alumna of FRC Team 1802
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-23-2012, 08:26 AM
FIRST's Official Cuddler
FRC #0365 (MOE)
Team Role: Electrical

LemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud ofLemmingBot has much to be proud of

I first saw a FIRST bot in my freshman year (2009) For some reason I thought it was with the Franklin Institute (a museum in Philly) so I thought it was just some sort of publicity thing.

The next year one of my friends told me that he was on a robotics team called Moe, he was always involved with it and he even brought me to a few meetings. My friend then forced me to sign up. I was doubtful I would be able to do anything (Im an art student) and I had not had good experiences with organized sports in the past. Moe quickly proved me wrong and I quickly became addicted to FIRST.

FIRST alumni in college: "I miss my team/robots/tools."
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-23-2012, 10:14 AM
..is trying to take this year off.
AKA: Andrew A.
FRC #0441 (Devil Dogs)

Rookie Year: 2003
androb4 is a splendid one to beholdandrob4 is a splendid one to beholdandrob4 is a splendid one to beholdandrob4 is a splendid one to beholdandrob4 is a splendid one to beholdandrob4 is a splendid one to beholdandrob4 is a splendid one to behold

I found out about FIRST when my elementary/EARLY robotics coach took us on a field trip to spectate the Lone Star Regional in 2004 or 2005.

I got involved in FLL and FRC (along with other robotics competitions) in the 2005-2006 season. I went to Hogg Middle School, which was the only middle school to participate in FRC - team 1484.

I completed three years there and moved on to Reagan High School, continuing FIRST in the 2008-2009. And here we are today 2012. Graduating, and becoming a mentor..
FRC 1484 Alumni 2006-2008

Started with 7" foam balls in 2006, ended with 8” foam balls in 2012..

Last edited by androb4 : 05-23-2012 at 05:08 PM.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-23-2012, 10:57 AM
AKA: Genevieve
FRC #0233 (The Pink Team)

Rookie Year: 2007
Cheerleader1073 is a jewel in the roughCheerleader1073 is a jewel in the roughCheerleader1073 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to Cheerleader1073

Funny story... I was great in math and science for my age freshman year of high school (of course we all know now that's not what matters on a FIRST team) so when I saw flyers for a FIRST Robotics team I was immediately interested... BUT... my room wasn't clean to my father's liking the day I asked him to go to a meeting so I stayed home and since I wasn't at the opening info meeting I figured it was too late to join without asking. It wasn't until the middle of the school year that I had our lead mentor as my study hall teacher and somehow I found out that she was associated with the team so I asked her about it and got involved. Brings back memories... at that point in time I was just a little freshman cheerleader that people were hesitant to take seriously after I'd come into meetings in uniform since they were right after cheerleading practice. I was also one of only three girls at the time on our team of about 30-40 people. To think that the team went from that to a team of 100 including mentors, and half of that being girls, and holding two titled leadership positions including co-CEO before graduating is incredible. It didn't make me an engineer, even though that's what I started out as my first year of college, it made me a better person - I mean both professionally with business and management skills, and ethically. I guess that was more of not only how I became involved, but how I was able to see myself and the entire team transform for the better after only a period of a single high school career... but figured it'd be worth sharing if anyone has read this far .

Heard about FIRST Friday 2012?
www.worldfirstfriday.wordpress.com
http://www.facebook.com/worldfirstfriday

@lifebycountry on Twitter

FRC Student: 2007-2011
FLL/JFLL Mentor: 2008-2011
Volunteer (Mixed): 2007-Present
FRC Mentor: 2011-Present

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-23-2012, 12:13 PM
AKA: Marissa
FRC #3574 (High Tekerz)

dictionaria13 is a name known to alldictionaria13 is a name known to alldictionaria13 is a name known to alldictionaria13 is a name known to alldictionaria13 is a name known to alldictionaria13 is a name known to all

I heard about our team last year, which was the team's rookie year, but I didn't think I'd be interested. A bunch of my friends were on the team, so I heard a lot about it from them. Turns out it's VERY interesting!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-23-2012, 04:32 PM
AKA: Ethan Pellittiere
FRC #3951 (SUITS)

Rookie Year: 2012
Suitster is on a distinguished road

I learned about FIRST at our county fair in 2010, when 1511 set up a full field and was (supposedly) running their robot around (trying to get it to work). I talked with one of their mentors for several hours. I was going to set up a team at our school, but I felt the cost was prohibitive. A year later, 1551 helped set up our team.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-23-2012, 07:47 PM
The GURU Channel
AKA: Richard Sisk
FRC #2493 (Robokong)

Rookie Year: 2007
rsisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to rsisk

My wife Dona started judging at LA Regional about 2004. Never really understood what she did during the weekend in March, all I knew was the kids and I had the house to ourselves.

Then in 2008 she convinced the school where she was teaching to start an FRC team and asked if I would be the programming mentor. Sure, whatever. Sounded like fun.

Oh boy.... that was the start of something huge!

That year I helped rookie team 2493 Robokong build a robot (wait, what? There are things called omni wheels? How cool is that! Our long based robot steering problems were solved!). The team competed in San Diego, and Dona and I judged in LA.

The next year we added judging in Phoenix to the agenda and I also added field setup/teardown.

Then we added judging at CMP in 2010. In 2011 I became a FIRST Senior Mentor for SoCal, along with adding judging and inspecting at the Alamo regional.

2012, we have now started 12 FRC teams, about the same FLL teams, competed at San Diego, judged in LA, AZ, CVR, SVR, MAR CMP, and CMP. Inspected at LA, AZ, CVR, SVR, and CMP. Control system advisor in LA. Judged 4 FLL Qualifying tournaments and 3 FLL championship tournaments.

Future plans? Start an FRC regional in the Inland Empire and develop Robokong University - training for mentors.... in addition to everything else we do.

On another note, it is interesting to read this thread and learn of all the great ways to get more students involved in FIRST. Great thread!

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-23-2012, 09:06 PM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

I blame it on my daughter's elementary teacher. She told us, "B.. really ought to be on this MindStorms team." (That's what we called FLL, named after the product.) So the next year they started with Volcanic Panic.

The next year, FLL came up with this thing called a Project, and my wife became the project coach.

After 4 years, we thought maybe we ought to help out at the state tournament. We did queuing for technical presentations, and we kept those slow tech judges on schedule! Members of my daughter's now graduated FLL team judged this new thing they had, Jr FLL.

That same year my daughter joined the FRC team. We found that going to competitions was really pretty boring, especially on practice day. Lots of waiting around to see your team on the field for 2 minutes. So the following year we started volunteering. After stints in queuing and pit admin, I became a referee and was asked to be a head referee when we went to the district system and suddenly had more than twice the number of events to cover. Also about that time I started reffing in FLL, and have been one of the state head refs for several years now.

So even though my daughter will graduate from college this year - with the help of thousands and thousands of dollars of scholarships, much of them earned because of her FIRST experiences - I'm staying with it. I want to help give other young people the experiences and opportunities my daughter had. And it's a load of fun!
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al WFFA 2005
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Back in 1995, my son had joined the TV club at school to follow in Dad's footsteps. I helped out and then in early 96, a robot team had started at my son's school. The team approached the club and told them they needed to do video documentation of the build. So he started shooting and then found out that he might have a shot at going to Disney for the Champs. I assisted with editing and some chaperone duties but never worked on the robot. The next year he abandoned video (thank you!) and started working on the mechanical team. So I took on more chaperone duties covering animation and editing and some shooting. Then the rookie Midwest Regional took place about twenty minutes away. My wife and I attended and somewhere in the middle of the weekend an electrical problem started on the robot. I was called into the pit and have been there ever since. When non-team volunteers were still inspecting, the Midwest Regional didn't have enough inspectors and they kept coming to me asking questions. I mentored the team on robot rules and meeting inspections at the time. Eventually, I was pulled in and then First allowed team volunteers to inspect. That first year I was lead at Midwest and assisted at other events. I was not inspecting officially (didn't arrive until Thursday afternoon) at 2003 Champs but was assigned to help teams that had problems or failed inspection. In 2004 I was asked to be a division lead inspector at champs and somewhere around 2007, First decided they needed someone to point a finger at for Champs and the other three LRIs pointed at me. A few years ago, Russ Beavis decided to step back from leading LRI training and inspection operations to concentrate on his DEKA work. First asked me to take over and gave me the title Chief Robot Inspector. Thanks to Russ for helping me along the way, I couldn't do this job if he hadn't prepared me. Thanks to Frank Merrick who keeps everything going for us at First and thanks to all the people who inspect all year long. They make this one of the most fun things you can do at competitions. I still mentor WildStang electrical students and visit schools who have yet to learn about First programs. I inspect for FTC and Vex tournaments and judge FLL when I can. In my younger (and crazier) days, I mentored as many as 7 FLL teams, WildStang and was an assistant Boy Scout leader all at the same time. I now know you need sometime for sleep and other things like CD where I visit daily.
www.wildstang.org
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Robots don't quit, and neither do I
AKA: Leeland
FRC #1405 (Finney Falcons)
Team Role: Tactician

LeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond repute

My involvement with FIRST stemmed back to 6th grade, when I joined my middle school's FLL team. Now, at the time, I didn't know what FIRST was. My little mind was not able to comprehend all the talk about Gracious Professionalism and For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology stuff my mentor was throwing at me.

So for a few years, I viewed FLL and "The big robots" as two totally separate entities. That would change in 9th grade, when I officially joined FRC. Before that, I learned about FRC at one of the FLL championships at the University of Rochester. There was an FRC team there modeling out and demoing their robot for Triple Play. That's when they had me. I was hooked. And I've been here even since.

So, looking back, I found out about FIRST in 6th grade when the morning announcements told us about the "Lego Robotics Club".

I want to change everything. I want to revolutionize FIRST. If only, one team, and one day, at a time.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Flybotix Fanatic
FRC #1885 (iLITE)

JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

I started in 2005, when I notice Georgia Tech put up FIRST flyers around campus. Given that I'd kept my local year-round job through the summers while taking extra classes, I didn't have any internships under my belt. So I started mentoring. I learned quite a bit.

7 years later, after 6 years in the 'real world', I find it very concerning that many upcoming adults expect there to be some magic wand that whisks their problems away. This is deduced from what I read in the news, the way secondary education evolved in the mid-2000's, and from a few interesting peer relationships I've had over the years.

I continue to mentor in FIRST because:
  1. It's fun (if it's ever not fun I'll find another way to mentor youth)
  2. There's some satisfaction in knowing I've helped upcoming youth become better problem solvers, regardless of whether or not they're strictly engineers
  3. There are slim pickins for leadership roles and non-contract technical training at work, even on my own time. Mentoring FRC is essentially the same as both of those in one package.

Last edited by JesseK : 05-24-2012 at 12:09 PM.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2012, 01:41 AM
Programmer/Team Captain
AKA: Ben
FRC #3881 (WHEA Robotics)
Team Role: Programmer

V. Gray is an unknown quantity at this point

I was on the High Schools VEX Robotics team as an 8th grader, one of about 15 people I think. That year, we went to the VEX International Competition, and my teacher got really excited about robotics. She started our FRC Robotics Team the following year, and that was the formal introduction to FIRST. But we sort of said Hello back in my 6th grade year, when my father started a LEGO Mindstorms robotics club at my school.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2012, 07:46 PM
[Mass x Acceleration] be with you!
AKA: Princess Leia
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
torihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to torihoelscher

2008-I just got back from being a student Ambassador that traveled to Japan and my parents signed me up for my high school's Summer Robotics Camp. I definitely got involved during that camp but still had sleeping issues from my trip. Anyway, it was a 5 day camp that went from 9:00 am to 5 pm and we were able to build a robot to perform that year's Vex game. It was really fun and I got to work on Krunch's 2007 Robot which was awesome by the way. It needed some repairing and it was a success. After I got involved with the summer camp I went into our school's Academy of Engineering. I was surrounded by robotics kids and they welcomed me into the team with open arms.

FLL
FTC
FRC

"May the [mass x acceleration] be with you"
"Aren't you a little short to be a storm trooper?"

Alumni of Team 79 Krunch.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: