OCCRA
Go to Post Why does kick off take so long to get here but ship date comes toooooooooo fast? - Steve W [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #136   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 01:08 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2006
Robert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to behold
Re: New District Events for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
That said, I would not object to allowing international teams to play--the Chilean team's "home" regional is Los Angeles. But then you get back to the international travel dilemma.
The Greater Kansas City Regional would be glad to have the Chilean team attend if southern California goes to a district format.
2012 Greater Kansas City Regional Imagery Award
"It doesn't hurt to be smart as long as you don't out-think yourself." -- Steve Fujita Former KC Chiefs player.
  #137   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:17 AM
AKA: Mac
FRC #4334 (ATA)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2012
Undertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond repute

As a member of the Alberta Tech Alliance, I think it's safe for me to explain our plans and achievements regarding a new regional event.

If you are not aware, there are about 60 teams in eastern Canada (Ontario region). There is a fairly strong FIRST community there, with several regional events. However, in western Canada, it is a different story. Our team, 4334, is one of two teams west of the east/west divide. Because there are so few teams, there is hardly any FIRST community. Nobody knows what we do, why we do it, etc.

Being one of two teams in an extremely large area is hard for a couple reasons. One, sponsorship is hard to find. Especially being a rookie team. Nobody wants to be the first to sponsor us. Also, it makes attending a regional event very, very difficult. In the 2012 season, all the regional events closer to us filled up very quickly. The closest event to us was Toronto. Now, I don't know if you're familiar with Canadian geography, but it is reaaaally far. And strangely enough, flying there is super expensive. We're lucky to have super supportive parents, and they all wound up paying airfare for us to attend GTR East. Frustrated, we started looking into hosting our own regional event. We talked it over with FIRST Canada, and they gave us the green light. Then at the championship, a meeting with the board was held regarding a new regional event. It was approved.

So, circumstances permitting, there will be a Calgary regional next year. You may be wondering how, being as there is only 2 teams... The Alberta Tech Alliance is working on building curriculum that we can take into Calgary and area schools, and making it as easy as possible for schools to have FRC teams. The Calgary Catholic School District has already approved $10,000 in sponsorship to every FRC team in one of it's schools. We also are working to use an unused school property as a communal build site, where teams can share expertise, parts, tools, a facility, and perhaps most importantly, rent.

The real question is, can we get 30 teams?

Time will tell.
Utah 2014 Judge's Award
Western Canada 2013 Champions
Western Canada 2013 Innovation in Control Award
IRI 2012 Champions
Archimedes 2012 Champions - "The Eh Team"
GTR East 2012 Highest-Seeded Rookie
GTR East 2012 Cooperition Award
GTR East 2012 Rookie All-Star
  #138   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:48 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertones View Post
So, circumstances permitting, there will be a Calgary regional next year. You may be wondering how, being as there is only 2 teams... The Alberta Tech Alliance is working on building curriculum that we can take into Calgary and area schools, and making it as easy as possible for schools to have FRC teams. The Calgary Catholic School District has already approved $10,000 in sponsorship to every FRC team in one of it's schools. We also are working to use an unused school property as a communal build site, where teams can share expertise, parts, tools, a facility, and perhaps most importantly, rent.

Time will tell.
If you don't have 30, call south of the border and see if some of the Washington, Oregon, and Idaho teams will agree to come up. (And maybe a couple of Canadian powerhouses will show up.)

You've got a year, you've got motivation, you've got local assistance, you've got a Championship blue banner for the Archimedes division to get sponsors with. I think you can get pretty close to the required number.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #139   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2012, 12:25 AM
FRC #0372 (Robo-Knights)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2005
372 lives on has a spectacular aura about372 lives on has a spectacular aura about372 lives on has a spectacular aura about

$10,000 dollars O.o starting a team will be easy! why cant I live in Canada D:

if my local teams have the money I'll make sure they go to your regional.
(30 team regional sounds fun all the ones here have been to big for to long)
  #140   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2012, 02:04 AM
Mentor
AKA: Glenn
FRC #0359 (Hawaiian Kids)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
waialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As a member of the Alberta Tech Alliance, I think it's safe for me to explain our plans and achievements regarding a new regional event.

If you are not aware, there are about 60 teams in eastern Canada (Ontario region). There is a fairly strong FIRST community there, with several regional events. However, in western Canada, it is a different story. Our team, 4334, is one of two teams west of the east/west divide. Because there are so few teams, there is hardly any FIRST community. Nobody knows what we do, why we do it, etc.

Being one of two teams in an extremely large area is hard for a couple reasons. One, sponsorship is hard to find. Especially being a rookie team. Nobody wants to be the first to sponsor us. Also, it makes attending a regional event very, very difficult. In the 2012 season, all the regional events closer to us filled up very quickly. The closest event to us was Toronto. Now, I don't know if you're familiar with Canadian geography, but it is reaaaally far. And strangely enough, flying there is super expensive. We're lucky to have super supportive parents, and they all wound up paying airfare for us to attend GTR East. Frustrated, we started looking into hosting our own regional event. We talked it over with FIRST Canada, and they gave us the green light. Then at the championship, a meeting with the board was held regarding a new regional event. It was approved.

Time will tell.
Just curious,
was this announcement supposed to made yet being that the regional doesnt seem to be finalized as of yet?

Since you brought it up, "The real question is, can you get 29 teams?"

2014 OZARK Mountain Brawl Champions, #1 seed.
2014 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed, UL Safety Award
2014 Dallas Regional Champions, #1 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2014 Northern Lights Regional Champions, #1 seed, Entrepreneurship Award
2013 Texas Robot Roundup Finalist
2013 Championship Dean's List Winner
2013 Hawaii Regional Finalist, #1 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2013 Utah Regional Champion, #1 seed, KP&B Award, Deans List
2013 Boilermaker Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award
2012 Lone Star Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award
2012 Hawaii Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award

2011 NYC-Regional Champion, #1 seed, Chairman's Award, Safety Award
2011 Hawaii-Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award, Volunteer of the Year, Website Award
2011 Las Vegas-Regional Finalist, #2 seed, WFFA, KP&C Entrepreneurship Award,
2011 FRC World Championship-Championship Chairman's Award
2011 IRI-Tournament Champions

#141   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2012, 02:33 AM
Here comes StuyPulse
AKA: Joe Blay
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2006
jblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Time will tell.
It is amazing what your team is doing. Only a rookie and you have already put things in motion for a regional, that is astounding.
2011 CMP 5th Alliance Captains & Quarter Finalists 2011 Connecticut Chairman's
2010 Connecticut Chairman's
2010 NYC Champions
2008 NYC Engineering Inspiration
2007 NYC Finalists
2006 NYC Finalists
2005 NYC Chairman's
2003 NYC Champions
2002 NYC Engineering Inspiration
2001 NYC Finalists
  #142   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2012, 04:08 PM
AKA: Mac
FRC #4334 (ATA)

Rookie Year: 2012
Undertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: New District Events for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waialua359 View Post
Just curious,
was this announcement supposed to made yet being that the regional doesnt seem to be finalized as of yet?

Since you brought it up, "The real question is, can you get 29 teams?"
Well... There was a meeting recently regarding the regional. There is a very small chance it won't happen at this point.

I like only having to find/start 29 teams.
Utah 2014 Judge's Award
Western Canada 2013 Champions
Western Canada 2013 Innovation in Control Award
IRI 2012 Champions
Archimedes 2012 Champions - "The Eh Team"
GTR East 2012 Highest-Seeded Rookie
GTR East 2012 Cooperition Award
GTR East 2012 Rookie All-Star
  #143   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2012, 11:25 PM
AKA: Nathan Powell
FRC #2928 (Viking Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
NayPow is an unknown quantity at this point

This sounds like it could be awesome! I will talk to my team about it. Calgary is pretty far away from seattle, but depending on how many regionals we attend, it might be viable.
  #144   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2012, 12:10 AM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel

I'm wondering if anything will be announced to the RDs at their meeting this week in Manchester.
  #145   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2012, 07:48 AM
Registered ConfUser
AKA: Mark McGivern
FRC #3633 (Catalyst)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2011
gyroscopeRaptor has a spectacular aura aboutgyroscopeRaptor has a spectacular aura about

It's safe to say Minnesota will not go districts this year as at the state championships it was confirmed that the Lake Superior regional in Duluth, MN will become a double regional. I think it's a bad move considering the size of the DECC (convention center), but I'm going to trust in the regional staff to make it all work out.
  #146   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Minnesota FIRST Senior Mentor
AKA: Evan Hochstein
FRC #2470 (Blitz Team)

Rookie Year: 2007
Wiifi has a spectacular aura aboutWiifi has a spectacular aura aboutWiifi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyroscopeRaptor View Post
It's safe to say Minnesota will not go districts this year as at the state championships it was confirmed that the Lake Superior regional in Duluth, MN will become a double regional. I think it's a bad move considering the size of the DECC (convention center), but I'm going to trust in the regional staff to make it all work out.
Have you seen the AMSOIL Areana? I am assuming that is where the second regional will be taking place, I think it will be awesome! So we still have the first regional in the DECC and the second one in AMSOIL arena. After the annoucement was made I was looking up some specs on each area and I am surprised we haven't been in AMSOIL in the past as it appears to have much better ammenities.

Also it may have been announced as a Duluth double regional but the RD still had their after-season meeting at FIRST HQ. I wouldn't consider MN Districts out of the question but there is less of a chance that they will happen now.

I'm sure the year we get a Rochester regional we'll turn into a district.

Side note: From what I hear the DECC was not damaged from the flashfloods a few weeks ago.

FIRST Volunteer | Robot Inspector 2011-2013 | FTC FTA 2013-?
Minnesota FIRST Senior Mentor | 2013-?

2009 Regional Win 2470 @ 10k Lakes (Thanks 2826 and 1714)
2013 WFFA Recipient 2470 @ 10K Lakes
2014 8th Seed Alliance Captain - 2470 @ Wisconsin

All of my posts represent my opinion.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: