OCCRA
Go to Post Why does kick off take so long to get here but ship date comes toooooooooo fast? - Steve W [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

 
Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #136   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Robert Cawthon's Avatar
Robert Cawthon Robert Cawthon is offline
Registered User
no team
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Rookie Year: 2006
Location: Kansas City, KS
Posts: 268
Robert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to behold
Re: New District Events for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
That said, I would not object to allowing international teams to play--the Chilean team's "home" regional is Los Angeles. But then you get back to the international travel dilemma.
The Greater Kansas City Regional would be glad to have the Chilean team attend if southern California goes to a district format.
__________________
Formerly a mentor with Team Stealth, 1802. Thanks, kids. It was fun!
2008 Greater Kansas City Regional Winner (Thanks 476 and 1806)
2010 Greater Kansas City Regional Gracious Professionalism Award
2012 Greater Kansas City Regional Imagery Award
"It doesn't hurt to be smart as long as you don't out-think yourself." -- Steve Fujita Former KC Chiefs player.
Reply With Quote
  #137   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:17 AM
Undertones's Avatar
Undertones Undertones is offline
Registered User
AKA: Mac
FRC #4334 (ATA)
Team Role: Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Rookie Year: 2012
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 78
Undertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New District Events for 2013?

As a member of the Alberta Tech Alliance, I think it's safe for me to explain our plans and achievements regarding a new regional event.

If you are not aware, there are about 60 teams in eastern Canada (Ontario region). There is a fairly strong FIRST community there, with several regional events. However, in western Canada, it is a different story. Our team, 4334, is one of two teams west of the east/west divide. Because there are so few teams, there is hardly any FIRST community. Nobody knows what we do, why we do it, etc.

Being one of two teams in an extremely large area is hard for a couple reasons. One, sponsorship is hard to find. Especially being a rookie team. Nobody wants to be the first to sponsor us. Also, it makes attending a regional event very, very difficult. In the 2012 season, all the regional events closer to us filled up very quickly. The closest event to us was Toronto. Now, I don't know if you're familiar with Canadian geography, but it is reaaaally far. And strangely enough, flying there is super expensive. We're lucky to have super supportive parents, and they all wound up paying airfare for us to attend GTR East. Frustrated, we started looking into hosting our own regional event. We talked it over with FIRST Canada, and they gave us the green light. Then at the championship, a meeting with the board was held regarding a new regional event. It was approved.

So, circumstances permitting, there will be a Calgary regional next year. You may be wondering how, being as there is only 2 teams... The Alberta Tech Alliance is working on building curriculum that we can take into Calgary and area schools, and making it as easy as possible for schools to have FRC teams. The Calgary Catholic School District has already approved $10,000 in sponsorship to every FRC team in one of it's schools. We also are working to use an unused school property as a communal build site, where teams can share expertise, parts, tools, a facility, and perhaps most importantly, rent.

The real question is, can we get 30 teams?

Time will tell.
__________________
Team 4334, Alberta Tech Alliance, Calgary Alberta
Western Canada 2014 Regional Chairman's Award
Western Canada 2014 Champions
Utah 2014 Judge's Award
Western Canada 2013 Champions
Western Canada 2013 Innovation in Control Award
IRI 2012 Champions
Archimedes 2012 Champions - "The Eh Team"
GTR East 2012 Highest-Seeded Rookie
GTR East 2012 Cooperition Award
GTR East 2012 Rookie All-Star
Reply With Quote
  #138   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:48 AM
EricH's Avatar
EricH EricH is offline
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Rookie Year: 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 15,556
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH
Re: New District Events for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertones View Post
So, circumstances permitting, there will be a Calgary regional next year. You may be wondering how, being as there is only 2 teams... The Alberta Tech Alliance is working on building curriculum that we can take into Calgary and area schools, and making it as easy as possible for schools to have FRC teams. The Calgary Catholic School District has already approved $10,000 in sponsorship to every FRC team in one of it's schools. We also are working to use an unused school property as a communal build site, where teams can share expertise, parts, tools, a facility, and perhaps most importantly, rent.

The real question is, can we get 30 teams?

Time will tell.
If you don't have 30, call south of the border and see if some of the Washington, Oregon, and Idaho teams will agree to come up. (And maybe a couple of Canadian powerhouses will show up.)

You've got a year, you've got motivation, you've got local assistance, you've got a Championship blue banner for the Archimedes division to get sponsors with. I think you can get pretty close to the required number.
__________________
Past teams:
2003-2007: FRC0330 BeachBots
2008: FRC1135 Shmoebotics
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
Reply With Quote
  #139   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2012, 12:25 AM
372 lives on 372 lives on is offline
Registered User
FRC #0372 (Robo-Knights)
Team Role: Mascot
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Rookie Year: 2005
Location: Mukilteo
Posts: 124
372 lives on has a spectacular aura about372 lives on has a spectacular aura about372 lives on has a spectacular aura about
Re: New District Events for 2013?

$10,000 dollars O.o starting a team will be easy! why cant I live in Canada D:


if my local teams have the money I'll make sure they go to your regional.
(30 team regional sounds fun all the ones here have been to big for to long)
__________________
cole?
Reply With Quote
  #140   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2012, 02:04 AM
waialua359's Avatar
waialua359 waialua359 is offline
Mentor
AKA: Glenn
FRC #0359 (Hawaiian Kids)
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Rookie Year: 2000
Location: Waialua, HI
Posts: 2,704
waialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New District Events for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertones View Post
As a member of the Alberta Tech Alliance, I think it's safe for me to explain our plans and achievements regarding a new regional event.

If you are not aware, there are about 60 teams in eastern Canada (Ontario region). There is a fairly strong FIRST community there, with several regional events. However, in western Canada, it is a different story. Our team, 4334, is one of two teams west of the east/west divide. Because there are so few teams, there is hardly any FIRST community. Nobody knows what we do, why we do it, etc.

Being one of two teams in an extremely large area is hard for a couple reasons. One, sponsorship is hard to find. Especially being a rookie team. Nobody wants to be the first to sponsor us. Also, it makes attending a regional event very, very difficult. In the 2012 season, all the regional events closer to us filled up very quickly. The closest event to us was Toronto. Now, I don't know if you're familiar with Canadian geography, but it is reaaaally far. And strangely enough, flying there is super expensive. We're lucky to have super supportive parents, and they all wound up paying airfare for us to attend GTR East. Frustrated, we started looking into hosting our own regional event. We talked it over with FIRST Canada, and they gave us the green light. Then at the championship, a meeting with the board was held regarding a new regional event. It was approved.

So, circumstances permitting, there will be a Calgary regional next year. You may be wondering how, being as there is only 2 teams... The Alberta Tech Alliance is working on building curriculum that we can take into Calgary and area schools, and making it as easy as possible for schools to have FRC teams. The Calgary Catholic School District has already approved $10,000 in sponsorship to every FRC team in one of it's schools. We also are working to use an unused school property as a communal build site, where teams can share expertise, parts, tools, a facility, and perhaps most importantly, rent.

The real question is, can we get 30 teams?

Time will tell.
Just curious,
was this announcement supposed to made yet being that the regional doesnt seem to be finalized as of yet?

Since you brought it up, "The real question is, can you get 29 teams?"
__________________

2014 OZARK Mountain Brawl Champions, #1 seed.
2014 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed, UL Safety Award
2014 Dallas Regional Champions, #1 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2014 Northern Lights Regional Champions, #1 seed, Entrepreneurship Award
2013 Texas Robot Roundup Finalist
2013 Championship Dean's List Winner
2013 Hawaii Regional Finalist, #1 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2013 Utah Regional Champion, #1 seed, KP&B Award, Deans List
2013 Boilermaker Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award
2012 Lone Star Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award
2012 Hawaii Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award

2011 NYC-Regional Champion, #1 seed, Chairman's Award, Safety Award
2011 Hawaii-Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award, Volunteer of the Year, Website Award
2011 Las Vegas-Regional Finalist, #2 seed, WFFA, KP&C Entrepreneurship Award,
2011 FRC World Championship-Championship Chairman's Award
2011 IRI-Tournament Champions

Reply With Quote
  #141   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2012, 02:33 AM
jblay's Avatar
jblay jblay is offline
Here comes StuyPulse
AKA: Joe Blay
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)
Team Role: Coach
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Rookie Year: 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 967
jblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New District Events for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertones View Post
As a member of the Alberta Tech Alliance, I think it's safe for me to explain our plans and achievements regarding a new regional event.

If you are not aware, there are about 60 teams in eastern Canada (Ontario region). There is a fairly strong FIRST community there, with several regional events. However, in western Canada, it is a different story. Our team, 4334, is one of two teams west of the east/west divide. Because there are so few teams, there is hardly any FIRST community. Nobody knows what we do, why we do it, etc.

Being one of two teams in an extremely large area is hard for a couple reasons. One, sponsorship is hard to find. Especially being a rookie team. Nobody wants to be the first to sponsor us. Also, it makes attending a regional event very, very difficult. In the 2012 season, all the regional events closer to us filled up very quickly. The closest event to us was Toronto. Now, I don't know if you're familiar with Canadian geography, but it is reaaaally far. And strangely enough, flying there is super expensive. We're lucky to have super supportive parents, and they all wound up paying airfare for us to attend GTR East. Frustrated, we started looking into hosting our own regional event. We talked it over with FIRST Canada, and they gave us the green light. Then at the championship, a meeting with the board was held regarding a new regional event. It was approved.

So, circumstances permitting, there will be a Calgary regional next year. You may be wondering how, being as there is only 2 teams... The Alberta Tech Alliance is working on building curriculum that we can take into Calgary and area schools, and making it as easy as possible for schools to have FRC teams. The Calgary Catholic School District has already approved $10,000 in sponsorship to every FRC team in one of it's schools. We also are working to use an unused school property as a communal build site, where teams can share expertise, parts, tools, a facility, and perhaps most importantly, rent.

The real question is, can we get 30 teams?

Time will tell.
It is amazing what your team is doing. Only a rookie and you have already put things in motion for a regional, that is astounding.
__________________
It's pronounced StighPulse like HighPulse
2013 NYC Champions
2012 Connecticut Chairman's
2011 CMP 5th Alliance Captains & Quarter Finalists 2011 Connecticut Chairman's
2010 Connecticut Chairman's
2010 NYC Champions
2008 NYC Engineering Inspiration
2007 NYC Finalists
2006 NYC Finalists
2005 NYC Chairman's
2003 NYC Champions
2002 NYC Engineering Inspiration
2001 NYC Finalists
Reply With Quote
  #142   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Undertones's Avatar
Undertones Undertones is offline
Registered User
AKA: Mac
FRC #4334 (ATA)
Team Role: Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Rookie Year: 2012
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 78
Undertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond reputeUndertones has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: New District Events for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waialua359 View Post
Just curious,
was this announcement supposed to made yet being that the regional doesnt seem to be finalized as of yet?

Since you brought it up, "The real question is, can you get 29 teams?"
Well... There was a meeting recently regarding the regional. There is a very small chance it won't happen at this point.

I like only having to find/start 29 teams.
__________________
Team 4334, Alberta Tech Alliance, Calgary Alberta
Western Canada 2014 Regional Chairman's Award
Western Canada 2014 Champions
Utah 2014 Judge's Award
Western Canada 2013 Champions
Western Canada 2013 Innovation in Control Award
IRI 2012 Champions
Archimedes 2012 Champions - "The Eh Team"
GTR East 2012 Highest-Seeded Rookie
GTR East 2012 Cooperition Award
GTR East 2012 Rookie All-Star
Reply With Quote
  #143   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2012, 11:25 PM
NayPow NayPow is offline
Registered User
AKA: Nathan Powell
FRC #2928 (Viking Robotics)
Team Role: Driver
 
Join Date: May 2012
Rookie Year: 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1
NayPow is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New District Events for 2013?

This sounds like it could be awesome! I will talk to my team about it. Calgary is pretty far away from seattle, but depending on how many regionals we attend, it might be viable.
Reply With Quote
  #144   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Wetzel's Avatar
Wetzel Wetzel is offline
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Rookie Year: 1999
Location: DC
Posts: 3,436
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel
Re: New District Events for 2013?

I'm wondering if anything will be announced to the RDs at their meeting this week in Manchester.
__________________
Viva Olancho!
Reply With Quote
  #145   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2012, 07:48 AM
gyroscopeRaptor's Avatar
gyroscopeRaptor gyroscopeRaptor is offline
Registered ConfUser
AKA: Mark McGivern
FRC #3633 (Catalyst)
Team Role: College Student
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Rookie Year: 2011
Location: Albert Lea, MN / Troy, NY
Posts: 360
gyroscopeRaptor has a spectacular aura aboutgyroscopeRaptor has a spectacular aura about
Re: New District Events for 2013?

It's safe to say Minnesota will not go districts this year as at the state championships it was confirmed that the Lake Superior regional in Duluth, MN will become a double regional. I think it's a bad move considering the size of the DECC (convention center), but I'm going to trust in the regional staff to make it all work out.
Reply With Quote
  #146   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Wiifi's Avatar
Wiifi Wiifi is offline
Minnesota FIRST Senior Mentor
AKA: Evan Hochstein
FRC #2470 (Blitz Team)
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Rookie Year: 2007
Location: Bloomington, Minnesota
Posts: 686
Wiifi has a spectacular aura aboutWiifi has a spectacular aura aboutWiifi has a spectacular aura about
Re: New District Events for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyroscopeRaptor View Post
It's safe to say Minnesota will not go districts this year as at the state championships it was confirmed that the Lake Superior regional in Duluth, MN will become a double regional. I think it's a bad move considering the size of the DECC (convention center), but I'm going to trust in the regional staff to make it all work out.
Have you seen the AMSOIL Areana? I am assuming that is where the second regional will be taking place, I think it will be awesome! So we still have the first regional in the DECC and the second one in AMSOIL arena. After the annoucement was made I was looking up some specs on each area and I am surprised we haven't been in AMSOIL in the past as it appears to have much better ammenities.

Also it may have been announced as a Duluth double regional but the RD still had their after-season meeting at FIRST HQ. I wouldn't consider MN Districts out of the question but there is less of a chance that they will happen now.

I'm sure the year we get a Rochester regional we'll turn into a district.

Side note: From what I hear the DECC was not damaged from the flashfloods a few weeks ago.
__________________
FRC Team 2470 | Founding Student Member 2008-2010 | Lead Mentor 2010-?
FTC Teams 5943 and 7000 | Head Coach 2012-?

FIRST Volunteer | Robot Inspector 2011-2013 | FTC FTA 2013-?
Minnesota FIRST Senior Mentor | 2013-?

2009 Regional Win 2470 @ 10k Lakes (Thanks 2826 and 1714)
2013 WFFA Recipient 2470 @ 10K Lakes
2014 8th Seed Alliance Captain - 2470 @ Wisconsin

All of my posts represent my opinion.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.

The Chief Delphi Forums are sponsored by Innovation First International, Inc.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Chief Delphi