OCCRA
Go to Post Its not the event that matters - its the preparation for the event that matters! - Ken Patton [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2012, 08:41 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute
Main Breaker Pictures

Has anyone opened the main breaker and taken a picture of the innards? I have a need for a picture today. Thanks in advance.
www.wildstang.org
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2012, 08:49 AM
Work it harder, make it better.
AKA: SuperNerd256
FRC #1323 (Madtown Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2011
Andrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Andrew Lawrence
Re: Main Breaker Pictures

This good?

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/32993

"The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint, the greats were great because they paint a lot" -Macklemore
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

That is good but I think there is one part that is missing or at least I can't see it in this picture. Thanks.
www.wildstang.org
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Gearing up for the next round
FRC #1676 (Pascack PI Oneers)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

That looks complete to me

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
Also visit TARPN to see what's up!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-25-2012, 06:59 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Don,
I am having a discussion with the manufacturer and can't get into our shop for a while. There is a failure mode that results from a manufacturing defect. The defect is a rare occurrence that results from parts misalignment during a spot weld. I don't see the part I remember in this photo.
www.wildstang.org
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-25-2012, 09:10 AM
FRC #0781 (Kinetic Knights Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2010
tuyauxtu is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Al
Sorry this is likely later than you needed. I've uploaded a photo (awaiting approval) of a breaker we opened a couple of months ago. It was new, but opened intermittently on the robot. It looks fine internally with tight electrical contact so I'm unsure of root cause. I'll link picture when it is approved, or you can PM me and I'll send direct.
If there is a specific area you need a picture of let me know.
Pat
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-25-2012, 10:43 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Pat,
I can see it CD Media. I think that the part is under or on the other side of the part with printing on it. When you thought it had a problem did tapping on the red button make it worse? That is the failure mode we have seen. Did you notice if the contacts were mating properly? Do you still have the breaker?

To be sure everyone understands, this a very rare occurrence. I may see or hear about only one or two a year, tops.
www.wildstang.org
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-25-2012, 10:48 AM
I do stuff.
AKA: Phil Lopreiato
FRC #1124 (The ÜberBots), FRC #1418 (Vae Victus)
Team Role: College Student

plnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuyauxtu View Post
I've uploaded a photo (awaiting approval) of a breaker we opened a couple of months ago.
Just for reference, here is the picture mentioned above.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-25-2012, 01:33 PM

Al
I would say that at the time, tapping the breaker made it worse which made it untrustworthy. Would not say that it was the open button but it may have been. The breaker at the time was horizontal (facing up) and solidly attached to our protobot's 1/8" holey aluminum belly pan. We though initially it was a loose stud electrical terminal contact. Once it was apart, I slid a piece of paper between the contacts and it was gripped fairly well, however it came out with a very, very small amount of 0.5 mm wide grey streaking from the top contact and a wider (0.5 cm), darker streak from the bottom contact, indicating to me that the contacts were not absolutely clean.
I just put it back together (with bolts replacing the rivets) and when electrically closed the red button is loose (it looks like there is about 1 mm of travel before it contacts the rubber gasket). It shows about 0 ohms on a cheap DVM (accounting for lead resistance). I bumped the breaker a lot and it stayed closed, but what seemed to me to be a light touch on the open button caused it to open then close then when the force was removed. The kitchen scale tells me it takes about 400 grams of push to break contact, so roughly 14 ounces (it takes about 1300 grams, 2.8 pounds to start to move the lever out). Do not have another handy to compare it to.
I do still have it. Let me know if you want it sent somewhere, or brought to IRI.
Thanks to Phil for posting the link.
Pat
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Pat,
I will let the Bussman guys know you have it. If they want it for evaluation I will let you know. Otherwise, can you bring it to IRI? We can discuss it then.
Al
www.wildstang.org
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-25-2012, 03:14 PM

Sure thing!
Pat
Closed Thread