OCCRA
Go to Post anything that craves Mountain Dew is definitely intelligent enough to be dangerous. - IMDWalrus [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Motors
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Co-Captain of Paperwork
AKA: Katelin
FRC #1369 (Minotaur)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2012
blitzenkid is an unknown quantity at this point
Mounting the Fisher Price Motor

Hi all,

My team and I are looking to modify our arm for lowering the Rebound Rumble bridge. We've been looking into other solutions, and the Fisher Price is a candidate, except for one major problem: how do you mount the motor? There appears no obvious method or place to connect the motor to the part or the robot, and research has had no answers.

Is there a method of doing this that we've missed or neglected in reading?

Thanks,
Katelin from FRC 1369 Minotaur
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2012, 11:59 AM
FRC #3310 (Black Hawk Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2010
JohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mounting the Fisher Price Motor

Are there not screw holes on the face of the motor?
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2012, 12:03 PM
2014... Hella Parts
AKA: Owner, WestCoast Products
FRC #1323 (MadTown Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
R.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzenkid View Post
Hi all,

My team and I are looking to modify our arm for lowering the Rebound Rumble bridge. We've been looking into other solutions, and the Fisher Price is a candidate, except for one major problem: how do you mount the motor? There appears no obvious method or place to connect the motor to the part or the robot, and research has had no answers.

Is there a method of doing this that we've missed or neglected in reading?

Thanks,
Katelin from FRC 1369 Minotaur
Could you post a picture of your setup?

I take it, your wanting a way to mount the motor with a gearbox to your assembly?

-RC
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2012, 01:39 PM
AKA: Rob
FRC #1676 (Pascack ∏-oneers)
Team Role: Mechanical

Sarakiro is a splendid one to beholdSarakiro is a splendid one to beholdSarakiro is a splendid one to beholdSarakiro is a splendid one to beholdSarakiro is a splendid one to beholdSarakiro is a splendid one to beholdSarakiro is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Mounting the Fisher Price Motor

if you post a picture I can validate this, however I believe I know what you are talking about. If I recall correctly (if you have a gearbox) you can cut a piece of aluminum c channel down to two inches (maybe 2.5) find a center line after cutting off one side of the c channel and from the center line, go about .5 inches out, and mark two lines (one from both side) I believe the firth hole should be some weird 7/16 away from the now only remaining wall of the c channel, and the second, (again, assuming a gearbox [we used a 4:1]) can be measured. holes shopuld be marked half an inch from the center and drilled using .25in drill bit. (I made about 8 of these in the during the build season)

good luck-

If you post a picture, I can validate this.

RS
Participant: 2011-2014
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2012, 01:40 PM
AKA: That's "Mr. Bill"
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)

Rookie Year: 2005
billbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond repute

Here are three images that show how we mounted and use the FP motor and transmission to move our arm in 2011.

The interface for the output of the transmission is detailed in this post.

It uses 10 7/16" diameter holes on a 1.75" diameter hole circle.
The center shaft configuration is up to you. In 2011 we used a 1/2" axle that was threaded and cross drilled and bolted in place.
This year we built two more that used 3/8" axles that were simply cross drilled and pined in place.
2011 Sacramento Finalist, 2011 Madtown Engineering Inspiration Award
2012 Sacramento Semi-Finals, 2012 Sacramento Innovation in Control Award, 2012 SVR Judges Award.
2012 CalGames Autonomous Challenge Award winner ($$$).
2013 Pow3rhou53 Pwnage Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 2X Rockwell Automation: Innovation in Control Award (CVR and SAC). Curie Division, Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 Capital City Classic Winner AND Runner Up.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:56 PM
>e, 7h3 5up3rn47ur4l
AKA: Alan Wells
FRC #1350 (Rambots)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
PAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't want to or can't make the adapters to interface with the output, use this.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2012, 11:02 PM
Minnesota FIRST Senior Mentor
AKA: Evan Hochstein
FRC #2470 (Blitz Team)

Rookie Year: 2007
Wiifi has a spectacular aura aboutWiifi has a spectacular aura aboutWiifi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAR_WIG1350 View Post
If you don't want to or can't make the adapters to interface with the output, use this.
If I had a picture on hand I would show you but these work amazing. We used one for our bridge manipulator this year and the C-channel bent before this adapter broke.

FIRST Volunteer | Robot Inspector 2011-2013 | FTC FTA 2013-?
Minnesota FIRST Senior Mentor | 2013-?

2009 Regional Win 2470 @ 10k Lakes (Thanks 2826 and 1714)
2013 WFFA Recipient 2470 @ 10K Lakes
2014 8th Seed Alliance Captain - 2470 @ Wisconsin

All of my posts represent my opinion.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2012, 11:02 PM
Currently teamless
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAR_WIG1350 View Post
Yep, that's what we did this season for the bridge arm. Makes it super simple!

Alumni/Mentor FRC 11 - MORT | ['11-'12]: Co-Founder/Mentor FRC 3929 | ['06-'10]: Student FRC 11- MORT | ['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2012, 12:49 AM
>e, 7h3 5up3rn47ur4l
AKA: Alan Wells
FRC #1350 (Rambots)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
PAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiifi View Post
If I had a picture on hand I would show you but these work amazing. We used one for our bridge manipulator this year and the C-channel bent before this adapter broke.
In 2011, we used 2 of them (2 motors, one gearbox per motor, linked by a common shaft) and we lifted the robot, bent a 3/8 inch solid aluminum shaft, and fracture a #35, 12-tooth steel sprocket (in three places) all at the same time, the gearboxes and the adapters were completely unaffected.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Riding my 6'3" Channel Islands Fish
AKA: Roger Romani
FRC #0100 (The Wildhats) and FRC#971 (Spartan Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

DampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond repute

Although some of this discussion seems to have centered on mounting the FP gearbox, there are also a number of ways to mount the motor directly. The face of the motor includes two metric taped holes, which can be used to do a face mount of the motor. If you do chose to do a face mount, keep in mind that on a FP motor, it is extremely important to keep the ventilation holes in the face open (FPs are very prone to overheating). And, if you don't mind pressing the pinion on the shaft of the motor after installing it, you can make a hole that is a press fit for the hub on the face of the motor.

-Plutarch
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Co-Captain of Paperwork
AKA: Katelin
FRC #1369 (Minotaur)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2012
blitzenkid is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all of the help. We've drilled out the three hole, and we're currently designing a bracket for fabrication and attachment at the next meeting. I'll try to post pictures when we're finished and we know it works.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: