OCCRA
Go to Post You dont get paid based on your IQ, or how many things you have memorized, or what you can invent on your feet. You get paid for results. - KenWittlief [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > VEX
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2012, 01:39 AM
AKA: Xavier Eldridge
FRC #4209 (TigerBytes)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
familyguyfreak is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to familyguyfreak Send a message via Skype™ to familyguyfreak
VEX in the Southeast

Are there any teams in the southeast (Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida) that do VEX or are interested in doing VEX? The TigerBytes are thinking about starting a VEX team(s) and would like to know if there are any teams in the area that could possibly be interested in working together to host a regional.

TigerBytes:
2012-Present: Mentor

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Sunny
FRC #5283

Rookie Year: 2007
ttldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond repute
Re: VEX in the Southeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyguyfreak View Post
Are there any teams in the southeast (Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida) that do VEX or are interested in doing VEX? The TigerBytes are thinking about starting a VEX team(s) and would like to know if there are any teams in the area that could possibly be interested in working together to host a regional.
I'm in GA, so I can say that the area down here has absolutely exploded with VRC. Hundreds of teams and the coordinator down here is struggling to secure enough world championship spots to match the growing number.

Our team has held a competition for the past three years, and we've gone from 28 teams to 50 teams, so you can definitely ask me any questions you have.

However, usually you want to get in contact with your area director. They usually have all of the event management information laid out really well, and they are super helpful.

The regional director down here is Rick Folea, and he's nothing short of awesome. His contact information is located here. I notice you're located in Louisiana, which might be a little bit out of his reach, but if so, he'll get you in contact with the right person.

- Sunny G.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2012, 05:56 PM
FRC 812/3476 Mentor
AKA: George
FRC #0812 (Midnight Mechanics)

Rookie Year: 2002
DCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond repute

At this year's Vex World Championships, one of the judges was looking to start a new tournament next year in Louisiana. I unfortunately lost his contact information, but his name was Jason Devillier, if I remember correctly. I know he also is a volunteer at the FRC Bayou regional. He's partnering with LSU to try and make it happen.

2001-2005 FRC294 Beach Cities Robotics
2005-Present FRC812 Midnight Mechanics
2012, 2014 FRC3476 Code Orange
2003-Present Volunteer, FRC/FTC/FLL/VRC

NEMO | San Diego Regional
| FIRST California
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-27-2012, 02:33 PM
AKA: Xavier Eldridge
FRC #4209 (TigerBytes)

familyguyfreak is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to familyguyfreak Send a message via Skype™ to familyguyfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttldomination View Post
I'm in GA, so I can say that the area down here has absolutely exploded with VRC. Hundreds of teams and the coordinator down here is struggling to secure enough world championship spots to match the growing number.

Our team has held a competition for the past three years, and we've gone from 28 teams to 50 teams, so you can definitely ask me any questions you have.

However, usually you want to get in contact with your area director. They usually have all of the event management information laid out really well, and they are super helpful.

The regional director down here is Rick Folea, and he's nothing short of awesome. His contact information is located here. I notice you're located in Louisiana, which might be a little bit out of his reach, but if so, he'll get you in contact with the right person.

- Sunny G.
Thanks!! I'll get in contact with him soon and see if he can help out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCA Fan View Post
At this year's Vex World Championships, one of the judges was looking to start a new tournament next year in Louisiana. I unfortunately lost his contact information, but his name was Jason Devillier, if I remember correctly. I know he also is a volunteer at the FRC Bayou regional. He's partnering with LSU to try and make it happen.
I'm a student at LSU and I think the robotics lab has talked to him. This is the first I've heard of anyone partnering with us to get a VEX tournament going but I'll check in with some of my peers to see if they know anything. I hope he is though because I think it would be a good idea to get VEX going in Louisiana.

TigerBytes:
2012-Present: Mentor

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2012, 11:31 AM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

MattC9 has a spectacular aura aboutMattC9 has a spectacular aura aboutMattC9 has a spectacular aura about

I don't know if Texas is to far out of reach, but there are hundreds of VEX teams down here. My team holds 2 regional's each year for VEX, in Austin,and I know of some all around the state!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Mike Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0051 (Wings of Fire)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 1996
Mike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond repute

The best way to locate VEX Teams in your local area or state is to contact your RECF (Robotics Education Competition Foundation) Support Manager. They can be located at : http://robotevents.com/support

The RECF is the organization that provides support for the 5000+ VEX teams worldwide as well as support for over 300 local and national VEX Events. Growth of the VEX Competition and VEX educational platform has been tremendous, check out the many new and exciting products at Vexrobotics.com.

Also if you are interested in the 2013 game "Sack Attack: check it out at:
http://www.vexforum.com/wiki/index.php/Sack_Attack

Mike Martus
RECF Support manager
Michigan Office
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2012, 03:19 PM
A VEX GUy WIth A STicky SHift KEy
VRC #0010 (Exothermic Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Rick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond repute

You can also find events on this handy map. There aren't many displayed yet, but it will really fill up in September and October.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: