OCCRA
Go to Post I give props to your programmers and programming mentors. - Sgraff_SRHS06 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Championship Event
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #106   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2012, 05:56 PM
FRC #4859 (Byron CyBears)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
jvriezen has a reputation beyond reputejvriezen has a reputation beyond reputejvriezen has a reputation beyond reputejvriezen has a reputation beyond reputejvriezen has a reputation beyond reputejvriezen has a reputation beyond reputejvriezen has a reputation beyond reputejvriezen has a reputation beyond reputejvriezen has a reputation beyond reputejvriezen has a reputation beyond reputejvriezen has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Terrible Volunteer Experience

Maybe the solution should take the lead from the pens you find at checkout counters that have plastic spoons or flowers taped to them.

FIRST can loan regular glasses to visitors, but team members get glasses that are super-glued to an ugly hat that says in big letters "I forgot my safety glasses and will return these as soon as I get a pair from my pit" Only need to have a few of those handy.
FRC, Mentor, Inspector #4859 2015-, #2530 2010-2014 FTC Mentor, Inspector #7152 2013-14
  #107   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2012, 08:43 PM
FRC #0233 (The Pink Team)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Nathan Pell is a splendid one to beholdNathan Pell is a splendid one to beholdNathan Pell is a splendid one to beholdNathan Pell is a splendid one to beholdNathan Pell is a splendid one to beholdNathan Pell is a splendid one to behold

Oh my gosh! I know exactly who you are talking about; I had the same type of issue with the same person. We were trying to pack up and one of our students left his glasses in the hotel.

She told us that team members don't get to use the glasses and that 'you are required to provide enough for your students'. I tried to explain the situation and that we just needed to pack up for about 10 minutes.

I had to leave the student at the entrance to get to the pits to find a pair. I was not able to to, so I came back to the entrance and tried to explain one more time. After hearing enough, I just said 'I am going to ask someone else' to which she replied 'they are going to tell you the same thing because I am in charge'.

I proceeded to the other volunteer about 5 feet away who gave a pair very politely. The woman seeing this became enraged and proceeded to yell at the other volunteer.

It just really upsets me other people had the same issues with this person. It upset me even more to have someone be that rude to one of our students.

Florida First
  #108   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2012, 11:18 PM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2004
Ian Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBrown View Post
You are comparing apples and oranges. A shipyard, or any other business stands to lose more money from the time lost by turning away workers (or customers, visitors, VIPs etc) than they will lose by purchasing spares. As has already been posted, FIRST used to loan glasses to every one, too many pairs dissappeared, now they have a stricter policy.
Another way to think of this is you pay people $50k+ to do a job that requires safety glasses and they still forget them! And you think they'll remember them for free? The fact that the free ones make you look like a dork should be punishment enough... Perhaps they could follow the tradition of one of my middle school teachers that had small state flags attached to loaner pens and pencils to make sure they made their way back to the desk.

I do think this thread is very very long for an issue that could be solved by "Don't be a jerk."
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: