OCCRA
Go to Post water electricity=bad - Chuck Glick [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > FIRST Tech Challenge
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2012, 11:50 PM
Head Coach
FTC #5037 (got robot?)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2008
gotrobot? is a name known to allgotrobot? is a name known to allgotrobot? is a name known to allgotrobot? is a name known to allgotrobot? is a name known to allgotrobot? is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to gotrobot?
[FTC]: A twist on the game

With a season of cluttered playing fields and extreme high lifting robots I was wondering what would happen if the game was tweaked. Instead of 100 racquet balls suppose there were only 5... and 20% of them had magnets. Everything else about the game would remain the same.

Just wondering...

www.facebook.com/gotrobot
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-01-2012, 07:00 AM
AKA: Andrew Remmers
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2007
Andrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Remmers Send a message via Skype™ to Andrew Remmers
Re: [FTC]: A twist on the game

Of which if the game was the way you described I would design my robot to first hog all the balls thus rendering your scoring close to nothing, from there the robot would put all 5 balls into one or more crates as it drives around and then it would lift at the end.

But yet again this is a quick analysis of your suggested changes. Magnet is still worthless.

- Andrew

Built and Dangerous (B.A.D) 2011-2012

Community Mentor of Knowledge / School Break 2012-2014

North American Robotics: The MooseEagles Founding Member 2012-Present (VEX U)
2012-2013 (Sack Attack) College Excellence Award
2012-2013 (Sack Attack) College Finalist Award
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-01-2012, 12:45 PM
FTC #4140 (Fish in the Boat)

Rookie Year: 2005
Scott_4140 is just really niceScott_4140 is just really niceScott_4140 is just really niceScott_4140 is just really nice

I agree that the field was a very crowed, but I think the culprit was really the ramp. It ultimately served very little purpose as the End Game was interesting, but not very valuable.

If I were to tweak the game, Id eliminate the Ramps and Platforms, increase the number of Magnet balls to 20, change the Magnet ball goal to accept 10 balls, make balls in baskets worth 10 points, and make the stacking bonus require stacking. The bottom crate, regardless of height would get no bonus. Stacked crates would score the bonus if they were touching and supported by another crate.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-01-2012, 03:24 PM
no team

h3x is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_4140 View Post
I agree that the field was a very crowed, but I think the culprit was really the ramp. It ultimately served very little purpose as the End Game was interesting, but not very valuable.

If I were to tweak the game, Id eliminate the Ramps and Platforms, increase the number of Magnet balls to 20, change the Magnet ball goal to accept 10 balls, make balls in baskets worth 10 points, and make the stacking bonus require stacking. The bottom crate, regardless of height would get no bonus. Stacked crates would score the bonus if they were touching and supported by another crate.
That would make stacking and magnet balls pointless, don't you think? It's easy to fill a crate or two with 40 balls total in 2 minutes, and way more consistant than stacking, especially when the crates have to be on top of each other now and the bottom crate is always worth nothing.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Head Coach
FTC #5037 (got robot?)

Rookie Year: 2008
gotrobot? is a name known to allgotrobot? is a name known to allgotrobot? is a name known to allgotrobot? is a name known to allgotrobot? is a name known to allgotrobot? is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to gotrobot?

If there were only 5 racquet balls and everything else being equal we certainly see a lot better autonomous programming.

www.facebook.com/gotrobot

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: