OCCRA
Go to Post When I encounter Dave at competitions and meetings, I find him to be kind, helpful, almost too nice. When I read his hints, I find him to be EVIL! - Ken Loyd [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Career
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2012, 09:55 PM
More Torque!
AKA: Andrew Palardy (Most people call me Palardy)
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
apalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What career are you going into?

I'm going to Kettering, planned EE.
I'm Co-Oping with Chrysler, in Powertrain controls. I like working with control system hardware and software, and other low-level software (C mostly, although I do like algorithm programming in LV or Simulink). I don't start until July, but I will be working at the Tech Center, which is also where 33's shop is, and I'll be at work during build season.

"Sometimes, the elegant implementation is a function. Not a method. Not a class. Not a framework. Just a function." ~ John Carmack
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2012, 10:02 PM
No capes
AKA: Olivia Gifford
FRC #1094 (The Channel Cats)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2011
OliviaG is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to OliviaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by apalrd View Post
I'm going to Kettering, planned EE.
I'm Co-Oping with Chrysler, in Powertrain controls. I like working with control system hardware and software, and other low-level software (C mostly, although I do like algorithm programming in LV or Simulink). I don't start until July, but I will be working at the Tech Center, which is also where 33's shop is, and I'll be at work during build season.
That's great!
"Not everyone has the chance to do great things - to learn how to build a robot while working alongside some of the greatest mentors you will ever meet, to become one with your team, and learn to be a gracious professional while competing with exceptional teams. It's not every day you meet people who want to change the world. Being inspired, learning, creating, thinking, and doing things to shape the future. THIS IS FIRST." -Me
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2012, 03:59 AM
FRC #0751 (Barn2Robotics)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2010
FenixPheonix is on a distinguished road

I'm going into mechanical engineering, possibly with a concentration in CAD or manufacturing, at Worcester Polytechnic Institute. Definitely looking forward to college. Do we need to have a summer break? Shouldn't it just go "robotics season, one week off, college with machine shops and fun classes"?
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2012, 11:28 AM
No capes
AKA: Olivia Gifford
FRC #1094 (The Channel Cats)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2011
OliviaG is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to OliviaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixPheonix View Post
I'm going into mechanical engineering, possibly with a concentration in CAD or manufacturing, at Worcester Polytechnic Institute. Definitely looking forward to college. Do we need to have a summer break? Shouldn't it just go "robotics season, one week off, college with machine shops and fun classes"?
Thats cool. Yeah the robotics season goes by way too fast, its seems like just yesterday we were building the 2011 robot.....Ah memories.
"Not everyone has the chance to do great things - to learn how to build a robot while working alongside some of the greatest mentors you will ever meet, to become one with your team, and learn to be a gracious professional while competing with exceptional teams. It's not every day you meet people who want to change the world. Being inspired, learning, creating, thinking, and doing things to shape the future. THIS IS FIRST." -Me
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Chase perfection. Catch excellence.
AKA: Let's bring CD back to the way it used to be
FRC #0125 (NU-TRONs, Team #11 Alumni (GO MORT))
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Brandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Holley

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixPheonix View Post
I'm going into mechanical engineering, possibly with a concentration in CAD or manufacturing, at Worcester Polytechnic Institute. Definitely looking forward to college.
"CAD" in itself is just a tool. Striving to be very good at CAD is definitely something mechanical design engineers should all do. However, it is still just one of many tools a mechanical engineer will need to master to become proficient.

At the end of the day, engineering is all about problem solving. As an engineering student you should constantly work to improve your problem solving ability by gaining new skills and knowledge for your own "tool belt".

-Brando

NUTRONs (Team 125) '05-???
2007 Boston Regional Winners
2008 & 2009 Boston Regional Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
2010 Boston Regional Creativity Award
2011 Bayou Regional Finalists, Innovation in Control Award, Boston Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award
2012 New York City Regional Winners, Boston Regional Finalists, IRI Mentor of the Year
2013 Orlando Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award, Boston Regional Winners, Pine Tree Regional Finalists
2014 Rhode Island District Winners, Excellence in Engineering Award, Northeastern University District Winners, Undefeated 18-0, Industrial Design Award, Pine Tree District Chairman's Award, Pine Tree District Winners
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2012, 05:03 PM
FRC #0751 (Barn2Robotics)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2010
FenixPheonix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Holley View Post
"CAD" in itself is just a tool. Striving to be very good at CAD is definitely something mechanical design engineers should all do. However, it is still just one of many tools a mechanical engineer will need to master to become proficient.

At the end of the day, engineering is all about problem solving. As an engineering student you should constantly work to improve your problem solving ability by gaining new skills and knowledge for your own "tool belt".

-Brando
Oh, agreed. Basically, it would mean that I take all the standard engineering courses, and a couple of extra ones in advanced CAD functions.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: