Go to Post I suggested it in brainstorming, but then people threw things at me. Apparently there ARE bad ideas in brainstorming. - Kevin Sevcik [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
  #46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2012, 08:56 PM
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2010
JV2073 has a spectacular aura aboutJV2073 has a spectacular aura aboutJV2073 has a spectacular aura about
Re: What do you think of this year's game?

The middle bridge was the main thing that I personal thought was bad. It gave to much prority than the main part of the game. Other than this I loved another season of robotics.
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2012, 09:50 PM
FF: Curiosity
AKA: Walter
FRC #3397 (Robolions)
Team Role: Leadership

LedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond reputeLedLover96 has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing that I have to say about this year's game, the robot is GREAT for PR. We recently took the robot to an elementary school's math night. It was loved by both kids and adults when we ramped up the power so that it could shoot into a 10ft basket. We got many questions and many opportunities to talk about FIRST. This is a game that many people can relate to, making PR and game description easy.

(Hanging out with my buddies at 610)

FRC 3397 The Robolions

Robotics, it's not just a club, it's a career.

FLL Referee (2012-Present)
2011 St. Louis Regional Winners (With 1985 and 3284)
2010 Highest Rookie Seed

Robolions Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robolions3397?ref=hl
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-16-2012, 04:18 PM
Ready to Learn, Ready to Win
AKA: Gregor Browning
FRC #1310 (Runnymede Robotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2012
Gregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond repute

Lets pull this thread back now that competition season is over.
FLL 2010 Glen Ames Robotics-Student
FLL 2011-xxxx Glen Ames Robotics-Mentor
FRC 2012-2013 Team 907-Scouting Lead, Strategy Lead, Driver
FRC 2014-xxxx Team 1310
Add me on Facebook
<Since 2011 How I came to be a FIRSTer
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-16-2012, 07:16 PM
FRC #1836 (The Milken Knights)

Rookie Year: 2009
JonathanZur1836 has a spectacular aura aboutJonathanZur1836 has a spectacular aura about

Over all I think that this year's game was good. My only two complaints are the feeder stations and the big emphasis on coopertition. Nobody really went up to the station to get balls, they were just thrown through the opening for the most part and thrown over the station in the last 30 seconds. Also, it caused a lot of unnecessary penalties that not many teams understood. In terms of the coopertition bridge, I like that coopertition was incorporated as an actual element of the game instead of last year where to get coop points you had to share minibots. However, I do not think that balancing on the coop bridge should be just as important as winning. I think it would be fine if you got two qualification points for winning, and one for cooping, because then people would still think that it is important but at the same time the rankings would be more fair.

What I liked most is that the game was easy to understand; scoring points and balancing bridges is easy to see. Can't wait to see what FIRST does next year
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Chelsea Brimstin
AKA: Chelsea Brimstin
FRC #1547 (Where's Waldo?)
Team Role: Driver

whattsheorder is a splendid one to beholdwhattsheorder is a splendid one to beholdwhattsheorder is a splendid one to beholdwhattsheorder is a splendid one to beholdwhattsheorder is a splendid one to beholdwhattsheorder is a splendid one to beholdwhattsheorder is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to whattsheorder

Great game, very active, aside from the coopertition bridges of course. They wouldn't be bad if it didn't carry so much weight in the rankings. I also think they should have tried to make more room for defensive play. I didn't see too much until running into the fifth week.
  #51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-17-2012, 10:15 PM

JonathanZur1836 has a spectacular aura aboutJonathanZur1836 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by whattsheorder View Post
I also think they should have tried to make more room for defensive play. I didn't see too much until running into the fifth week.
I agree that defense was tough to play this year, and that was mainly because of the key; but as long as you stayed near the fender you could still play some good defense. I think that there was a good amount of defense in elims, as is true in most years.
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-18-2012, 06:04 AM
AKA: Patrick Freivald
FRC #1551 (The Grapes of Wrath)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
pfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the lack of defense was largely a strategy issue, not a game-play issue. From ball denial to good old pushing and shoving, we played a lot of effective defense this year.
Bausch & Lomb, PTC Corporation, and Naples High School

I write books, too! Twice Shy. Blood List. Jade Sky.
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-18-2012, 10:33 AM
The scariest person in FIRST
AKA: Aviana Knochel, a.k.a. WIG GIRL
FRC #0118 (The Robonauts)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2008
Astrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond repute
Defense ended up being more vital to bridge play than anything else. Especially if there was a triple balance threat. The game was way more fun for spectators this time, it was way easier to get non-FIRSTers cheering along.
Me: * facepalm *
-----------------
  #54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-18-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrokid248 View Post
The game was way more fun for spectators this time, it was way easier to get non-FIRSTers cheering along.
Completely agree, I think that's where FIRST is going, and I'm fine with that
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-18-2012, 12:44 PM
In Transition.
AKA: SuperNerd256
no team (Robo Rams)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2011
Andrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Andrew Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfreivald View Post
I think that the lack of defense was largely a strategy issue, not a game-play issue. From ball denial to good old pushing and shoving, we played a lot of effective defense this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrokid248 View Post
Defense ended up being more vital to bridge play than anything else. Especially if there was a triple balance threat. The game was way more fun for spectators this time, it was way easier to get non-FIRSTers cheering along.
As a mainly defensive robot this year, I can agree with both statements. If a single robot played an effective starvation tactic, stealing balls from the opponents and feeding them to their team, and ended the game blocking the opposing side's bridge while their partners doubled would effectively shut down most any alliance.

Championships isn't the end - it's the beginning.
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Steve
AKA: Steve
FRC #0578 (Red Raider Robotics)
Team Role: Scout

stundt1 will become famous soon enoughstundt1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfreivald View Post
Dont forget your sniper ball shooting from across the field
Add Team 578 on

Last edited by stundt1 : 06-18-2012 at 02:07 PM.
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-19-2012, 07:25 AM
AKA: Patrick Freivald
FRC #1551 (The Grapes of Wrath)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
pfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stundt1 View Post
Dont forget your sniper ball shooting from across the field
A slight exaggeration. They were in their key, we were against their fender. But yeah, that was awesome.
Bausch & Lomb, PTC Corporation, and Naples High School

I write books, too! Twice Shy. Blood List. Jade Sky.
  #58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-20-2012, 08:45 AM
FF Pure Mi
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute

I was really impressed with the bridge bonus this year as usually it is very frustrating to watch a team struggle to do a bonus. This year, struggling on the bridges was quite entertaining and spectator friendly. This is a bonus I would not mind seeing additional future variants of.
  #59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Intaker
AKA: Erik Boyle
FRC #0068 (Truck Town Thunder)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2012
Ekcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant futureEkcrbe has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanZur1836 View Post
My only two complaints are the feeder stations and the big emphasis on coopertition. Nobody really went up to the station to get balls, they were just thrown through the opening for the most part and thrown over the station in the last 30 seconds. Also, it caused a lot of unnecessary penalties that not many teams understood.
I have to disagree here. Having a good inbounder was just the right importance for the game. It could take a good team and move them up a notch, but the inbounders didn't control the game. I did see teams going to the slot, and taking it out wouldn't have been challenging enough. I think penalties at the inbounding station were limited and fairly obvious: don't have more than six balls, don't step over the line when inbounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanZur1836 View Post
I do not think that balancing on the coop bridge should be just as important as winning. I think it would be fine if you got two qualification points for winning, and one for cooping, because then people would still think that it is important but at the same time the rankings would be more fair.
What many people are neglecting to consider is that making coopertition as valuable as winning was not just because the GDC thought it was that important, but because it forces teams to make the tough call: do you risk it to win and spend less time balancing, or ensure the coop and jeopardize your chances of winning? By making them equals, the game encourages teams to find the balance (no pun intended) between winning and co-oping, instead of everyone playing only to win and making the co-op a secondary goal.
  #60   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Robots don't quit, and neither do I
AKA: Leeland
FRC #1405 (Finney Falcons)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2005
LeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond repute

I think Rebound Rumble played out quite well.

It was a simple game with an easy-to-follow scoring system (even for spectators who hadn't read the rules), left for a multitude of robot designs and attributes, and presented an interesting design challenge for the end-game, which was also sufficiently suspenseful and difficult so as not to just award free points.

I'd say even the coopertition bridge played out exceedingly well, though I was skeptic at the start of the season.

I personally preferred Logomotion, but on a scale of 10, I'd score Rebound Rumble an 8.5 on the FRCGame-o-meter.

I want to change everything. I want to revolutionize FIRST. If only, one team, and one day, at a time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: