OCCRA
Go to Post I want to take a moment to thank every single FIRST mentor on behalf of all the FIRSTers (students) out there, for giving us the best we can get. - Arefin Bari [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Off-Season Events
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2012, 11:42 AM
FRC #1640
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Gdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond repute
IRI Ball denial and G31

Right or wrong I started a new thread for this. I have noticed that many teams used a ball denial strategy that involved not returning balls to the playing field and allowing balls to accumulate in the coral. G31 should penalize this, however I have not seen it enforced. The refs are too focused on the field to pay attention to it. This will continue to be a viable strategy unless The IRI powers would decide to add two officials to monitor the coral and inbounder play. So with all the supper shooters does this affect the game play for IRI? Can't score if your ball starved. This is not a rule change , just a decision to enforce current rules. What do you think.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Missouri S&T Sophomore
FRC #2410 (BV CAPS Metal Mustang Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2010
CalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to CalTran
Re: IRI Ball denial and G31

Although I'm not familiar with the exact strategy you're describing, I assume the alliances in question are withholding more than the allotted 6 balls?

Team 2410 thinks KISSing is amazing! Keep It Super Safe!

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you don't know why. On our team, theory and practice comes together. Nothing works and nobody knows why.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Robots don't quit, and neither do I
AKA: Leeland
FRC #1405 (Finney Falcons)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2005
LeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdeaver View Post
Right or wrong I started a new thread for this. I have noticed that many teams used a ball denial strategy that involved not returning balls to the playing field and allowing balls to accumulate in the coral. G31 should penalize this, however I have not seen it enforced. The refs are too focused on the field to pay attention to it. This will continue to be a viable strategy unless The IRI powers would decide to add two officials to monitor the coral and inbounder play. So with all the supper shooters does this affect the game play for IRI? Can't score if your ball starved. This is not a rule change , just a decision to enforce current rules. What do you think.
I believe the strategy is not enacted the way you are thinking it, though I could be wrong.

You are thinking of the "Ball Starvation" strategy in which balls are not returned immediately to the field to keep them away from the opponents. The way this strategy is enacted, however, is not through leaving the balls in the corral (which is a violation of G31). It is done by each inbounder picking up their 2 balls out of the corral, but not returning them to the field immediately. As long as the number of balls being held in the alliance station does not exceed 6, there is no rule violation.

For reference:

Quote:
Rule G31
Only Inbounders may contact Basketballs; each Inbounder may hold a maximum of two Basketballs. During Teleop, Inbounders must remove Basketballs from the Corral immediately upon arrival. All Basketballs in the Alliance Station must be held by Inbounders once removed from the Corral.
Violation: Foul

I want to change everything. I want to revolutionize FIRST. If only, one team, and one day, at a time.

Last edited by LeelandS : 07-02-2012 at 12:11 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Chase perfection. Catch excellence.
AKA: Let's bring CD back to the way it used to be
FRC #0125 (NU-TRONs, Team #11 Alumni (GO MORT))
Team Role: Engineer

Brandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Holley

Whether intentional or unintentional, I saw what the OP is describing numerous times at events. With 5 referees on the field (4 + 1 head ref), there was no one to monitor the driver stations specifically. The corrals are not visible from the field side of the wall either, making enforcement next to impossible for 1 person who is watching a quadrant of the field.

-Brando

NUTRONs (Team 125) '05-???
2007 Boston Regional Winners
2008 & 2009 Boston Regional Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
2010 Boston Regional Creativity Award
2011 Bayou Regional Finalists, Innovation in Control Award, Boston Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award
2012 New York City Regional Winners, Boston Regional Finalists, IRI Mentor of the Year
2013 Orlando Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award, Boston Regional Winners, Pine Tree Regional Finalists
2014 Rhode Island District Winners, Excellence in Engineering Award, Northeastern University District Winners, Undefeated 18-0, Industrial Design Award, Pine Tree District Chairman's Award, Pine Tree District Winners
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2012, 12:19 PM
AKA: Joey
FRC #1714 (MORE Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Laaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdeaver View Post
This will continue to be a viable strategy unless The IRI powers would decide to add two officials to monitor the coral and inbounder play.
This is not a viable strategy, this is willingly breaking the rules. Why not just show up with a 140 lb robot since they aren't being weighed?
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2012, 12:31 PM
The Dark Months of Chief Delphi
AKA: Gregor Browning
FRC #1310 (Runnymede Robotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2012
Gregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Holley View Post
Whether intentional or unintentional, I saw what the OP is describing numerous times at events. With 5 referees on the field (4 + 1 head ref), there was no one to monitor the driver stations specifically. The corrals are not visible from the field side of the wall either, making enforcement next to impossible for 1 person who is watching a quadrant of the field.

-Brando
It it fairly obvious when people leave balls in the corral. Sometimes its hard to notice one ball, but when balls are being purposefully left, the refs tend to notice an influx of balls being scored with minimal being returned. However an extra official behind each alliance station would solve all problems.
FLL 2010 Glen Ames Robotics-Student
FLL 2011-xxxx Glen Ames Robotics-Mentor
FRC 2012-2013 Team 907-Scouting Lead, Strategy Lead, Human Player, Driver
FRC 2014-xxxx Team 1310-Mechanical, Electrical, Strategy
Add me on Facebook
<Since 2011 How I came to be a FIRSTer
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Dare greatly
no team (Referees)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2007
Siri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Siri

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeelandS View Post
I believe the strategy is not enacted the way you are thinking it, though I could be wrong.

You are thinking of the "Ball Starvation" strategy in which balls are not returned immediately to the field to keep them away from the opponents. The way this strategy is enacted, however, is not through leaving the balls in the corral (which is a violation of G31). It is done by each inbounder picking up their 2 balls out of the corral, but not returning them to the field immediately. As long as the number of balls being held in the alliance station does not exceed 6, there is no rule violation.

For reference:
No, he's talking about willfully breaking G31 by leaving balls in the corral without getting caught. (Some teams do it by holding over 6 in their hands, but this is more obvious.)

It happens. In fact, it's happened a lot. I've seen it (webcast and live) missed probably 3x times than it's called. It can be very difficult to spot. Drives me utterly crazy both while coaching and while reffing. [I'll leave it at that.]
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2012, 02:44 PM
AKA: Jeff
FRC #1986 (Team Titanium)

jspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jspatz1 Send a message via Skype™ to jspatz1

An alliance can legally maintain control of 17 balls in pursuit of a starvation strategy - 6 in the hands of in-bounders, 9 in the possession of robots, and two left on their alliance bridge. A perfectly legitimate strategy and one that we considered. This does suggest however that you will be outscored in the process of collecting these balls (6 unreturned.) The intent would be to rally with these balls when it is too late for your opponent to answer. Requires well timed and reliable inbounding of the 6 balls, quick and reliable acquisition by robots, and quick shooting with no or very few missed shots. Obviously a strategy only for an alliance with great confidence in their ability. Winning autonomous would improve one's position to attempt it.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Mentor (1114), Alumni (772)
AKA: Aaron Koscielski
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
akoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly I think that ball starvation would be a stupid strategy at IRI. I think this because of the Finals in GTR west. If you watch 2056's and 1114's human players feed balls across the field as soon as they are in there hands. In IRI I think that the robots have a better chance of scoring the balls than the himan players in the last 30 seconds. So there is no point in keeping those 6 balls, to just throw and hope for a basket or two. Just feed them to your robot and you will get more points.

Team 77WHO?! 772 Sabre Bytes
2010-2013

Dean's List Finalist 2013 Waterloo Regional
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2012, 10:10 PM
AKA: Jeff
FRC #1986 (Team Titanium)

jspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jspatz1 Send a message via Skype™ to jspatz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoscielski3 View Post
Honestly I think that ball starvation would be a stupid strategy at IRI. I think this because of the Finals in GTR west. If you watch 2056's and 1114's human players feed balls across the field as soon as they are in there hands. In IRI I think that the robots have a better chance of scoring the balls than the himan players in the last 30 seconds. So there is no point in keeping those 6 balls, to just throw and hope for a basket or two. Just feed them to your robot and you will get more points.
The strategy is not to keep the balls for human player shots. The strategy is to gain control of most of the balls (hoarding), then score with them (with robots) late in the match when it is too late for your opponent to score with them again. Not promoting it as wise, just explaining the concept. Again it would take great confidence, execution, and timing.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-02-2012, 11:12 PM
#8 Alliance For Life
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

G31 offenses usually have to be pretty blatant to be caught (though brief/minor infractions typically wouldn't influence the outcome of a match anyway). I can only think of one match this year where G31 was actually called, despite seeing violations on a handful of occasions. But without penalties being announced, it's entirely possible there were other occasions it was called and I didn't realize it was called.

FWIW, the one instance it was being called was a clear intentional violation where the alliance never returned a single ball to the field.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2012, 02:10 AM
Here comes StuyPulse
AKA: Joe Blay
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)

Rookie Year: 2006
jblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond repute

When we changed to more of a defensive strategy at championship part of our strategy was to be in the way of the lane that most inbounders took to put balls onto their side of the field. Our strategy would be to stay on the offensive side of the field for a short period at the start of the match, before crossing over to the defensive zone, and try to cause the inbounded balls to get stopped by our bot and stay on our side of the field for our partners. Quite a few times I saw an inbounder with more than 2 balls in their hands waiting for us to get out of the way.
2011 CMP 5th Alliance Captains & Quarter Finalists 2011 Connecticut Chairman's
2010 Connecticut Chairman's
2010 NYC Champions
2008 NYC Engineering Inspiration
2007 NYC Finalists
2006 NYC Finalists
2005 NYC Chairman's
2003 NYC Champions
2002 NYC Engineering Inspiration
2001 NYC Finalists
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2012, 06:19 AM
Dare greatly
no team (Referees)

Siri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Siri

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblay View Post
When we changed to more of a defensive strategy at championship part of our strategy was to be in the way of the lane that most inbounders took to put balls onto their side of the field. Our strategy would be to stay on the offensive side of the field for a short period at the start of the match, before crossing over to the defensive zone, and try to cause the inbounded balls to get stopped by our bot and stay on our side of the field for our partners. Quite a few times I saw an inbounder with more than 2 balls in their hands waiting for us to get out of the way.
This is the most common way I saw it violated. Often times inbounders stopped/wouldn't even start taking balls out of the corral until the robot was clear, and sometimes the one holding extra balls handed them back. (Note they may not have realized everyone else also had 2.) Tracking penalties makes it pretty clear it's often not called--and definitely not at one per ball.

From the perspective of a field official, this is difficult to spot because it's not (as most people seem to be picturing it) an obvious, long-term issue of no or few balls returning to the field. Even a short time at the start of teleop can be a big deal though, because those extra balls end up making it to the other side. (I've seen webcasts with effective point swings of 12-18, sometimes enough to change match winner.) Plus, without the penalties or balls returned, the blocking robot has basically wasted that portion of the game.

(Please note that I'm not saying this will likely happen at IRI.)
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2012, 07:18 AM
I feel better now.
AKA: Jared341
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Jared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspatz1 View Post
An alliance can legally maintain control of 17 balls in pursuit of a starvation strategy - 6 in the hands of in-bounders, 9 in the possession of robots, and two left on their alliance bridge. A perfectly legitimate strategy and one that we considered. This does suggest however that you will be outscored in the process of collecting these balls (6 unreturned.) The intent would be to rally with these balls when it is too late for your opponent to answer. Requires well timed and reliable inbounding of the 6 balls, quick and reliable acquisition by robots, and quick shooting with no or very few missed shots. Obviously a strategy only for an alliance with great confidence in their ability. Winning autonomous would improve one's position to attempt it.
An alliance can maintain control of all 18 balls. What is to stop you from putting additional balls on your alliance bridge?
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2012, 07:21 AM
Travis Hoffman's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Canada!!!!!!!11111!!111
FRC #0048 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E.)

Travis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared341 View Post
An alliance can maintain control of all 18 balls. What is to stop you from putting additional balls on your alliance bridge?
The more you put on there, the more likely the opposition will tend your bridge and accept the penalty to break up your strategy.
NEOFRA / Delphi E.L.I.T.E. FLL Regional Partner

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: