OCCRA
Go to Post Remember the volunteering is not mandatory for the people to do it. It IS mandatory if FIRST is to survive and the regionals to leave a positive impact on everybody. - Alavinus [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Andrew Lynch
FRC #2587 (DiscoBots)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
lynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lynca
Mobile Learning Shops

Over the last year I have seen mobile hobbyist shops become more popular. Has anyone been to one of these garages or mobile shops ?

GE Garages debuted at SXSW this year, http://www.ge.com/garages/press.html

SparkTruck is a low-cost mobile truck startup, http://sparktruck.org/about

I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on the mobile shop idea. This might be a great way to spread the message of robotics.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Physics Teacher
AKA: Tom Zook
FRC #4276 (Viking Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2011
SenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant future
Re: Mobile Learning Shops

Mentoring in FRC for 2 years has really changed my view of what some students (kids) need. Here in southern California there are very few schools that still offer industrial arts classes of any sort, in middle or high school. And elementary schools spend almost all their time doing english and math work, and not much science.
If I had the money I would get a truck like Sparktruck together and tour around schools in my area. If I won the lottery I would get a mobile machine shop together and do weekly stops at rookie FRC teams' schools to allow them train on and use higher-end tools (instead of just drills and saws that most use).
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-13-2012, 10:51 AM
no team

jimmyy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorZ View Post
Mentoring in FRC for 2 years has really changed my view of what some students (kids) need. Here in southern California there are very few schools that still offer industrial arts classes of any sort, in middle or high school. And elementary schools spend almost all their time doing english and math work, and not much science.
If I had the money I would get a truck like Sparktruck together and tour around schools in my area. If I won the lottery I would get a mobile machine shop together and do weekly stops at rookie FRC teams' schools to allow them train on and use higher-end tools (instead of just drills and saws that most use).
Well said! nothing more to say...
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-13-2012, 11:58 AM
AKA: Paul W. Johnson
no team
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2005
Pjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynca View Post
Over the last year I have seen mobile hobbyist shops become more popular. Has anyone been to one of these garages or mobile shops ?

GE Garages debuted at SXSW this year, http://www.ge.com/garages/press.html

SparkTruck is a low-cost mobile truck startup, http://sparktruck.org/about

I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on the mobile shop idea. This might be a great way to spread the message of robotics.
We were very happy to help work with the GE garages that were held at Rice University this year. They have been a great 7 year sponsor with us.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: