Go to Post I wouldn’t trade this for anything in this world ;-). - Ken Leung [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming > NI LabVIEW
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 08:59 AM
AKA: Ryan Thielke
FRC #3137
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2011
tilky is an unknown quantity at this point
8 ds analog inputs?

is there any way to read 8 analog inputs from the usb cypress board, either with 2 boards or another means? or is there a usb io board that comes with 8 analogs other than the one used for driver station?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 10:34 AM
no team (Team NI)

Rookie Year: 2008
Greg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 8 ds analog inputs?

It looks to me like the Enhanced I/O will allow you to read 8 channels. Remember that the voltage range is 3.3 though. The DS supports the FT and HID joysticks, so another option is to have a joystick that is really analogs. I think there is a limit of six continuous per joystick, so you'd need multiple. The CCI from eStoprobotics may work for you.

Also keep in mind that the dashboard or other processes can read I/O from whatever you like and send it to the computer over your own communications channel. The arduino, NI DAQ, or similar products are reasonable ways to get multiple analogs.

Greg McKaskle
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Engineering Coach
AKA: Allen "JAG" Gregory
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2003
AllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AllenGregoryIV

One of our electrical students found that programming a teensy to act as a joystick is pretty easy. It can read 12 analog inputs. I'm not sure if the driver station can handle that on one USB input device but you could easily add another one.

Whitepaper = http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2666

Team 647 | Cyber Wolf Corps | Alumni | 2003-2006 | Shoemaker HS
Team 2587 | DiscoBots | Mentor | 2008-2011 | Rice University / Houston Food Bank
Team 3847 | Spectrum | Coach | 2012-20... | St Agnes Academy
LRI | Alamo Regional | 2014-20...
"Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-18-2012, 08:17 AM
AKA: Ryan Thielke
FRC #3137

Rookie Year: 2011
tilky is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg McKaskle View Post
The DS supports the FT and HID joysticks, so another option is to have a joystick that is really analogs. I think there is a limit of six continuous per joystick, so you'd need multiple.
Greg McKaskle
can you elaborate on this part? it sounds promising 4 joystics=24 analog inputs. i see where this is going, just read each axis, with each being a different input, but how would this be put together? Hopefully you can answer this and it doesn't fall into electrical territory.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-18-2012, 09:23 AM
no team (Team NI)

Rookie Year: 2008
Greg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond repute

I have no experience with the product, but this was what I was referring to ...
http://www.estoprobotics.com/estore/...d&productId=33

Greg McKaskle
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Lead Programmer
AKA: Rube #1
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2010
MAldridge will become famous soon enoughMAldridge will become famous soon enough

assuming you don't need to access it during autonomous, just use the teensy (or similar) to send the data over serial, and send it to the robot using a UDP socket. That would be way easier to do then doing the joystick in my opinion.

Last edited by MAldridge : 07-20-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: