Go to Post Where's the easy button on this thing... - Akash Rastogi [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2012, 06:46 PM
AKA: Clayton
FRC #4334 (Alberta Tech Alliance)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2012
yottabyte is on a distinguished road
Team 4334 VS 148 @IRI (Video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWCh4sFqgtQ

Quick video of 4334 defending the bridge agents 148.
(Rip from live stream)
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2012, 07:24 PM
FRC #2834 (Bionic Black Hawks [formerly Bionic Barons])
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2009
Ed Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Team 4334 VS 148 @IRI (Video)

Amazing. That is the little robot that could!

2014 Great Lakes Bay Region district
2014 Queen City regional
2014 Bedford district
2014 Michigan State Championship
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2012, 07:26 PM
In Transition.
AKA: SuperNerd256
no team (Robo Rams)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2011
Andrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Andrew Lawrence

That event was one of the most exciting happenings in Rebound Rumble. I'd even say it's up there with the first triple balance in Alamo with 148.

Championships isn't the end - it's the beginning.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2012, 07:26 PM
incurable FIRSTaholic
FRC #0846 (Funky Monkeys)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
Chinmay is a splendid one to beholdChinmay is a splendid one to beholdChinmay is a splendid one to beholdChinmay is a splendid one to beholdChinmay is a splendid one to beholdChinmay is a splendid one to beholdChinmay is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to Chinmay

This was favorite moment from IRI. The first match 148 had some amazing defense and this was really a turning point when you were able to deny them access to your side of te field. Great job!

http://www.becauserobots.org
Man is a robot with Defects
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2012, 07:42 PM
FRC #0469

qzrrbz is a glorious beacon of lightqzrrbz is a glorious beacon of lightqzrrbz is a glorious beacon of lightqzrrbz is a glorious beacon of lightqzrrbz is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinmay View Post
This was favorite moment from IRI. The first match 148 had some amazing defense and this was really a turning point when you were able to deny them access to your side of te field. Great job!
And even got a couple favorable foul calls, too!

Way to go little robot!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2012, 07:48 PM
FIRST on my mind
AKA: Evan Raitt
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Tetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny, because back in 2008, 148's robot was a little robot that could and made a huge splash at Championship.

I have a feeling that Smallbots are going to be a rising trend in FIRST, so long as the game affords small-sized robots.
Mentor Team 1930 2007-2008
RahChaCha Ruckus 2006, 2011
Finger Lakes Regional 2007, 2009-2013
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2012, 09:05 PM
Ready to Learn, Ready to Win
AKA: Gregor Browning
FRC #1310 (Runnymede Robotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2012
Gregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond repute

This was one of my favourite moments of IRI, second only to 118 scoring 3 points while hanging off of a triple balance for the world high score.
FLL 2010 Glen Ames Robotics-Student
FLL 2011-xxxx Glen Ames Robotics-Mentor
FRC 2012-2013 Team 907-Scouting Lead, Strategy Lead, Driver
FRC 2014-xxxx Team 1310
Add me on Facebook
<Since 2011 How I came to be a FIRSTer
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Mentor (1114), Alumni (772)
AKA: Aaron Koscielski
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
akoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
This was one of my favourite moments of IRI, second only to 118 scoring 3 points while hanging off of a triple balance for the world high score.
WAIT WHAT!?!

I also loved seeing this and searched for it in the streamed videos after I saw this. I keep saying how well this robot was made, and how well it agrees with what we are always told, regarding working with you experience and resources, and this little thing shows how well it was done.

regarding more smaller robots in FRC in the years coming, i expect it to happen, after seeing the Vex/FTC bot at the competition I was wondering why we made our robot so big. I turned back to 111 and 907 and was like We are so stupid for making our robots soooo big this year!".

Team 77WHO?! 772 Sabre Bytes
2010-2013

Dean's List Finalist 2013 Waterloo Regional
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2012, 10:46 PM
VEXpro Engineer
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2005
Aren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be oddball here and give props to 148s driver for realizing they were stuck on 4334 and backing up to get off of them, had they been pushing back 148 would have surely flipped when coming off the other side of the bridge. 4334 was also aware enough to take advantage of the situation.

For all you physics people frictional force = normal force x CoF
One robot half on another.....you do the math on who's going where.

I enjoy facts and accurate recollections bring recorded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoscielski3 View Post
regarding more smaller robots in FRC in the years coming, i expect it to happen, after seeing the Vex/FTC bot at the competition I was wondering why we made our robot so big. I turned back to 111 and 907 and was like We are so stupid for making our robots soooo big this year!".
That robot was a 99% High School Competition legal VEX robot, the only illegal thing was the bumpers which were put on just for kicks.

VEX Robotics Mechanical Engineer

1625 (2005-2011)
3928 (2012-2013)
148 (2013-?)

Last edited by Aren_Hill : 07-24-2012 at 11:52 PM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2012, 08:31 AM
Always a Midknight Inventor.
AKA: denim's in the genes.
FRC #1923 (The MidKnight Inventors)

Rookie Year: 1992
Libby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond repute

I like to call this one the "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE."
Nice job, 4334.
Founder, Captain, Operator, Regional Champion, & proud Alumni. I will always be a MidKnight Inventor.
Continuing my support from 2010 onward, with whatever they ask of me.

2010 to 2013: 229 Division By Zero and 4124 Integration by Parts
Clarkson University Mentor for FLL/FTC, & Lead Mentor for FRC.

-
questions? comments? concerns? | twitter: @libbyk | about.me/libbykamen
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Flybotix Fanatic
FRC #1885 (iLITE)

JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

I'll catch some flak for this, but I see this video as more marketing than an actual basis of expectation for 4334 moving forward. If the team had tried a shooting mechanism this year then that defense may have left them with a different post-match situation. The video further adds to 4334's expectations of powerhouse-endorsed greatness since the play itself was but a glimpse of a pattern of opportunistic success. Yet left to their own devices I'm not so sure the team will have the same success in 2013.

It was fun to watch nonetheless
I’m talking about the real fundamentals of being an empowered, self-directed human being. Creativity. Curiosity. Resilience to distraction. Patience with others. And to make these all possible: self-reliance — an unswerving willingness to take responsibility for your life...

How to Make Trillions of Dollars

Want to be a better cook? Do 5 recipes from Plenty on 5 weeknights after work. Eat the leftovers for lunch.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseK View Post
I'll catch some flak for this, but I see this video as more marketing than an actual basis of expectation for 4334 moving forward. If the team had tried a shooting mechanism this year then that defense may have left them with a different post-match situation. The video further adds to 4334's expectations of powerhouse-endorsed greatness since the play itself was but a glimpse of a pattern of opportunistic success. Yet left to their own devices I'm not so sure the team will have the same success in 2013.

It was fun to watch nonetheless
If you watch their other videos your impression will change.

They explain their choice of making such a robot was based on knowing they were unlikely to be a true frontrunner if they attempted scoring (moreso middle pack, a respectable feat for a rookie anyway) and would rather make the robot that would be picked by the best. The videos show the team has a lot of resources and reasoned, intelligent members.

One could (but shouldn't) look at their 2012 machine and say it's unimpressive and doesn't indicate future success, but the thought process and team revealed in their videos and public statements are the type of group that will be competitive in the future.

Like us on Facebook!
2011 World Champions

Like our Robots? Check out the CAD files of ALL our robots!
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Mentor
FRC #0987 (High Rollers)

Hjelstrom is just really niceHjelstrom is just really niceHjelstrom is just really niceHjelstrom is just really nice

I have to admit I didn't give that robot enough credit when I first saw it. That was a pretty incredible design and implementation for a first year team. To have the foresight to choose the strategy they did was really impressive. The way their ball manipulator does everything (scoring, picking up balls, lowering the bridge) is really cool.

Great job!
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2012, 12:30 PM
TruSS So hard
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseK View Post
If the team had tried a shooting mechanism this year then that defense may have left them with a different post-match situation.
Yeah, and if 2791 built a swerve this year we probably wouldn't have moved. What's your point?

4334 built a fabulous robot within their means that performed objectively better than many teams with shooting mechanisms. Their ability to honestly evaluate their capabilities and to choose a robot type that would get them success on the field (without a shooter) is exactly why they were so successful this year. Yes, if they built a shooter they would have been worse - but they didn't!

Seriously, we should have built that robot this year, and I bet a lot of FIRST is saying the same thing. Or at least in my opinion they should be.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)

My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2012, 12:40 PM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

Rookie Year: 2004
IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
Seriously, we should have built that robot this year, and I bet a lot of FIRST is saying the same thing. Or at least in my opinion they should be.
There is no doubt a lot of teams should have built that robot this year. As the #1 seed at BM and the #2 seed at QC we would have killed to have a robot like that to pick.

More teams should realistically evaluate their capabilities and resourses as well as 4334 did this year.

2012 Boilermaker Engineering Excellence Award
2010 Boilermaker Rockwell Innovation in Control Award.
2009 Buckeye J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2009 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2008 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2007 St Louis Regional Winners

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: