OCCRA
Go to Post Before joining FIRST, I sure wanted to be SUPERMAN or SPIDER MAN!....but after joining FIRST, I realized that there are other ways I can help people and the world. - RoboMadi [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Robotics Education and Curriculum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-22-2012, 07:20 PM
FRC #3181 (Pittsford Panthers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2010
Panthers 3181 is an unknown quantity at this point
Job Description for a Club Advisor

Our school is fairly new to the whole FRC and wants a description of what a teachers responsiblities are as a club advisor. Is there anyone who has a club advisor description they are willing to share. They are looking at it from the view point that the Teacher is in charge of the team.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Minnesota FIRST Senior Mentor
AKA: Evan Hochstein
FRC #2470 (Blitz Team)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
Wiifi has a spectacular aura aboutWiifi has a spectacular aura aboutWiifi has a spectacular aura about
Re: Job Description for a Club Advisor

Depends.

For example, at our school the advisor is not a paid position so they generally do not do much other than act as our representative to the school.

We used to have a paid position and that advisor acted more as a team coach. He would get us access to the room year-round and attend most if not all of our meetings. During the pre-season we would host team seminars and the coach would teach students how to do a specific thing on the team. During the build season he would attend meetings and guide students into making the robot. Finally in the competition season he would acquire school resources to get us a van or bus for transportation to the competition. He also acted as our main contact in TIMS.

What kind of description are you looking for? That way I can go into a little more detail on the position.

FIRST Volunteer | Robot Inspector 2011-2013 | FTC FTA 2013-?
Minnesota FIRST Senior Mentor | 2013-?

2009 Regional Win 2470 @ 10k Lakes (Thanks 2826 and 1714)
2013 WFFA Recipient 2470 @ 10K Lakes
2014 8th Seed Alliance Captain - 2470 @ Wisconsin

All of my posts represent my opinion.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Robot Mentor
FRC #2974 (WALT)

Rookie Year: 2009
FrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond repute

If it is a school team, then you have to follow all the rules, including conduct, the school has. The club adviser is responsible for that as well as being the final say in any conflicts. The adviser would also arrange excused absences for activities during the school day. Equivalent to the head coach on a sports team. The rules would be what ever the school has concerning competitive teams not really subject to amendment. What the teacher adviser actually does running the team would depend on the availability and strength of the other mentors. If you are a independent team with a school association everything gets fuzzy. Ideally of course, the students will be running the team with advice & guidance from the adviser & mentors.

The quirky thing is First does not have a lot of rules about team structure. The senior mentor as registered in Tims is in charge as for as they are concerned.

Last edited by FrankJ : 07-23-2012 at 03:51 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2012, 06:40 AM
Mechie
AKA: Mr. C
FRC #0334 (Tech Knights)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2006
CidTeach is just really niceCidTeach is just really niceCidTeach is just really niceCidTeach is just really niceCidTeach is just really nice

If a teacher undertakes the task of being a club advisor they should be the following:
-responsible party for team functions within school building, i.e meetings, build days/nights, permits for facility usage, travel plan approval(s), maintaining club standards as far as team member grades/attendance etc.

-team registrations via TIMS, now i encourage students to help me with bookkeeping and paperwork, however it is my responsibility.

-financial management

-chaperone on any trips, events etc

-basically the person who always gets into trouble (my schools usually cut me a lot of slack and understand how big an undertaking this is)

- best to have one person to start off, to not scare anyone, then i highly recommend approx 1 mentor/advisor per 10.
good luck
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2012, 07:35 PM
AKA: MR. Z
FRC #0708 (Hardwired Fusion)

Rookie Year: 2007
ezygmont708 has much to be proud ofezygmont708 has much to be proud ofezygmont708 has much to be proud ofezygmont708 has much to be proud ofezygmont708 has much to be proud ofezygmont708 has much to be proud ofezygmont708 has much to be proud ofezygmont708 has much to be proud ofezygmont708 has much to be proud ofezygmont708 has much to be proud of

Panthers 3181,

I was asked to prepare a job description for our school board two years ago. This document is typical to team 708, but please feel free to use this document in any format that you wish.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Robotics Advisor Activities and Responsibilities.docx (17.9 KB, 82 views)
MAR Competition and Planning Committee
MAR Board of Directors
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-29-2012, 09:26 PM
FRC #1912 (Team Combustion)

Rookie Year: 2006
rachelholladay has a reputation beyond reputerachelholladay has a reputation beyond reputerachelholladay has a reputation beyond reputerachelholladay has a reputation beyond reputerachelholladay has a reputation beyond reputerachelholladay has a reputation beyond reputerachelholladay has a reputation beyond reputerachelholladay has a reputation beyond reputerachelholladay has a reputation beyond reputerachelholladay has a reputation beyond reputerachelholladay has a reputation beyond repute

This may not be exactly what you are looking for but possibly it can help. In FIRST's flyer FRC page 2 includes a list of responsibilities for the lead mentor (http://www.usfirst.org/uploadedFiles...HowToStart.pdf) Some of the task may overlap depending on how your team is structured.

2014 - : FIRST Team 3504 Girls of Steel (Mentor)
2014 Engineering Inspiration

2006 - 2013: FIRST Team 1912 Combustion (Webmaster / Controls Capt / Beta Test Lead / Drive Capt / JrFLL Coach)
2013 Woodie Flowers Finalist for Wendy Holladay. 2010 - 2013 Regional Chairman's Award at the Bayou Regional. 2011 - 2012 Best Website at the Bayou Regional. 2010 - 2013 Beta Test Team for Hardware and LabVIEW. 2012 JrFLL State Expo Coordinator.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: