Go to Post Sooo....in the famous words of Douglas Adams, Don't Panic. - Conor Ryan [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > CAD > SolidWorks
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2012, 03:34 AM
Head of Machining
FRC #0004 (Team 4 Element)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1997
Adam.garcia is just really niceAdam.garcia is just really niceAdam.garcia is just really niceAdam.garcia is just really nice
Lightening Pattern Help?

What is the most idea form for lightening two-speed transmission gear boxes
and a West Coast Drive Belly Pan? I see that teams (254/973) have the diamond shape design, but I am not sure how to do it myself using Solidworks. I have been informed that the minimum strut length for the aluminum is 1/8 inch. Can somebody please offer me technical help?

Thank you.

“Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.”
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:07 AM
AKA: Brian
FRC #2175 (Fighting Calculators)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2012
Boe is a glorious beacon of lightBoe is a glorious beacon of lightBoe is a glorious beacon of lightBoe is a glorious beacon of lightBoe is a glorious beacon of lightBoe is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Lightening Pattern Help?

For the belly pan youn should be able to just make one diamond and then use linear sketch patern to copy it
2013 Minne-Mini Winners (Thanks 2169, 3883, and 4239)
2013 MRI Winners (Thanks 2052, 3130, and 3313)
2013 MN State Fair Winners
2013 IRI Participant
2013 Minnesota State Championship - Winners (Thanks 2052 and 4607)
2013 Galileo Division - Finalists (Thanks 2169 and 3284)
2013 North Star Regional - Winners (Thanks 967 and 4607) - Team Spirit Award
2013 Northern Lights Regional - Quarterfinalists (Thanks 3130 and 1675!) - Entrepreneurship Award
2012 Lake Superior Regional - Quarterfinalists (Thanks 1625 and 2957) - Coopertition Award
2012 North Star Regional - Quarterfinalists (Thanks 2549 and 3130) - Creativity Award
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:13 AM
Currently teamless
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam.garcia View Post
What is the most idea form for lightening two-speed transmission gear boxes
and a West Coast Drive Belly Pan? I see that teams (254/973) have the diamond shape design, but I am not sure how to do it myself using Solidworks. I have been informed that the minimum strut length for the aluminum is 1/8 inch. Can somebody please offer me technical help?

Thank you.
You can check out 973's CAD right here on CD for the bellypan. There's links in Adam's signature. I don't have the dimensions on me at the moment. As for the gearbox, I think the webbing looks approximately 1/4" thick but this is just a guess, better to check out their CAD and ask questions from the source!

['13- 14]: Alumni/Mentor FRC 11 - MORT 2014 Robot Reveal
['12-'14]: Mentor FRC 2495

['11-'13]: Co-Founder/Mentor FRC 3929
['06-'10]: Student FRC 11- MORT
['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2012, 11:12 PM
Rookie Mentor
AKA: Ian
FRC #0997 (Spartans)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
IanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond reputeIanW has a reputation beyond repute

It's been a while since I've used SolidWorks (you use Inventor when you intern at Autodesk I guess), so this may not be the most efficient way.

Bellypan:
I make four holes in the corner of the bellypan - two triangles and two squares - and then use patterns and mirrors to complete the entire cheese hole pattern. If I want to and holes/extra webbing for gearbox cutouts/electronics, I go back and make them separately by cutting away the material I don't want and then extruding the shapes I do want back in.

Gearbox:
With a gearbox it's just a slow process of outlining the areas that will remain (around bearings, spacers, bolt holes, etc.), followed by adding in the lines that will connect them. Attached is a picture of the drawing I created for the lightening pattern I used for a gearbox project I've been working on. Notice how I used fairly few dimensions for the amount of sketch geometry. I did this by using a lot of sketch constraints, ultimately making the sketch easy to use if I ever want to go back and make changes.

Hope this helped, I'd gladly try to answer other questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gearbox Lightening.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	12909  
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Head of Machining

Adam.garcia is just really niceAdam.garcia is just really niceAdam.garcia is just really niceAdam.garcia is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW View Post

Gearbox:
With a gearbox it's just a slow process of outlining the areas that will remain (around bearings, spacers, bolt holes, etc.), followed by adding in the lines that will connect them. Attached is a picture of the drawing I created for the lightening pattern I used for a gearbox project I've been working on. Notice how I used fairly few dimensions for the amount of sketch geometry. I did this by using a lot of sketch constraints, ultimately making the sketch easy to use if I ever want to go back and make changes.

Hope this helped, I'd gladly try to answer other questions.
Yes, that definitely helped. Here is the final gearbox that I've designed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Final Gearbox.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	12917  

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison

Quote:
Yes, that definitely helped. Here is the final gearbox that I've designed.
You should fillet all of the inside corners. If these are plates that will be milled, try to design them use the largest end mill that is reasonable. If it's water/laser cut, you'll still want to add fillets to make the cuts faster and cleaner and to reduce stress concentrations at the corners.

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2012, 07:11 PM
2014... Hella Parts
AKA: Owner, WestCoast Products
FRC #1323 (MadTown Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
R.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison View Post
You should fillet all of the inside corners. If these are plates that will be milled, try to design them use the largest end mill that is reasonable. If it's water/laser cut, you'll still want to add fillets to make the cuts faster and cleaner and to reduce stress concentrations at the corners.
Agreed,

Also put a little support between your shifter/bearing block square to the bottom of the plate.

-RC
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Head of Machining

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.C. View Post
Agreed,

Also put a little support between your shifter/bearing block square to the bottom of the plate.

-RC
Thanks to the both of you. I have updated the gearbox. Is there anything else that you can see that should be improved upon/changed/added?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Final Gearbox.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	12918  

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2012, 02:23 AM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

Quote:
Thanks to the both of you. I have updated the gearbox. Is there anything else that you can see that should be improved upon/changed/added?
What purpose does the inner snap ring groove serve on the output shaft?
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Head of Machining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
What purpose does the inner snap ring groove serve on the output shaft?
Sorry about the late response. The inner Snap ring is designed to hold the other side of the wheel in place. I added this feature to the output shaft to ensure that the wheel would be held in place. If I were to take it out, what would prevent the wheel from sliding inwards?

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-09-2012, 09:55 AM
worse then failing: proving murphy
FRC #1619 (Up-A-Creek Robotics) and FTC # 4633)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2007
Peck will become famous soon enough

just wondering: did u stress test these plates, including for collisions that may be less then ideal?

edit: o, and did u example the irl ability to travel to ensure the gears stay where u want and don't generate undesired interactions?

TEAM 1619
__UP-A-Creek Robotics__
It ain't done till it's over-done

Last edited by Peck : 08-09-2012 at 09:58 AM. Reason: added second question
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-09-2012, 01:42 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

Quote:
Sorry about the late response. The inner Snap ring is designed to hold the other side of the wheel in place. I added this feature to the output shaft to ensure that the wheel would be held in place. If I were to take it out, what would prevent the wheel from sliding inwards?
is this for a standard cantilevered wheel drivetrain?

If so, your wheel is captured by your bearing block in the outside of the frame rail.

If not, add a spacer. Your shaft is all but 100% guaranteed to fail at that snap ring as it stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peck View Post
just wondering: did u stress test these plates, including for collisions that may be less then ideal?

edit: o, and did u example the irl ability to travel to ensure the gears stay where u want and don't generate undesired interactions?
There's no need to perform FEA on those plates. By visual inspection they look similar to multiple other successful gearboxes. 1/4" Aluminum plate is ridiculously strong, even pocketed out like that.

Last edited by Cory : 08-09-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: