Go to Post Multiple event winners are what drive me and my friends to be better and achieve more. - Akash Rastogi [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2004
Ian Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond repute
Engineering Story Books

Does anyone know of any good books about the engineering process? I'm not talking about textbooks (I have more than enough of those), but stories that follow the development of a product. I recently finished Bill Cook's Road to the 707 and it was spellbinding to see them come up against totally unexpected problems and then figure out how to solve them. Books I've read in a similar vein are Rhode's The Making of the Atomic Bomb or Grosser's Gossamer Odyssey. Technical details are good, but the political details of all of these massive projects are always fascinating too.

I know I can't be the only dork who loves this kind of stuff.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-04-2012, 08:27 PM
AKA: Ed Barker
FRC #1311 (Kell Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
ebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Engineering Story Books

This book is about Lockheed's Skunk Works. It talks about Kelly Johnson and projects such as the SR-71. The book is by Kelly's successor Ben Rich.
Skunk Works: A Personal Memoir of My Years of Lockheed by Ben R. Rich and Leo Janos

Before NASA, there was NACA, the Air Force, and the cold war. This book gives a basic storytelling of what was going on before Sputnik and how the X program yielded to NASA and the space race of the 1960's.
The Right Stuff, book and movie by Tom Wolfe
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-04-2012, 08:47 PM
FF Pure Mi
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for Skunk Works. I really enjoyed that book.

The Design of Design. by Brooks is fantastic. He covers the various ideas of constraints and applies them to systems he worked on as well as designing his home and vacation home (complete with issues and work arounds).

I will look through the bookshelf and see what else I can find. I really enjoyed biographies of famous inventors and engineers.
The Man Who Made the Monitor was a very powerful book for me in middle school. Jophn Ericsson made giant improvements to Naval warships, steam, and heat engines.

I was also a big fan in middle school of Castle, Cathedral, and the Way Things Work by David Macualay. They are psuedo-historical, but fun books with a lot of neat insight.

The History of PI is a pretty neat math history book.

Last edited by IKE : 08-04-2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: added a couple books.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Back to earth once again
FRC #1676 (Pascack PI Oneers)

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Soul of a new machine, a story about the development team working on a (then) unprecedented 32-bit processor.

The New Cool, which chronicles some FRC teams...but you've probably heard of that one.

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-06-2012, 09:39 AM
FF Pure Mi
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute

I am anxiously awaiting "The 7 Minutes of Terror", an indepth look into the years of preparation for the most interesting landing in NASA robotics history.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Works @ FIRSTWA
FRC #1983 (Skunk Works Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2008
Navid Shafa has a reputation beyond reputeNavid Shafa has a reputation beyond reputeNavid Shafa has a reputation beyond reputeNavid Shafa has a reputation beyond reputeNavid Shafa has a reputation beyond reputeNavid Shafa has a reputation beyond reputeNavid Shafa has a reputation beyond reputeNavid Shafa has a reputation beyond reputeNavid Shafa has a reputation beyond reputeNavid Shafa has a reputation beyond reputeNavid Shafa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebarker View Post
This book is about Lockheed's Skunk Works. It talks about Kelly Johnson and projects such as the SR-71. The book is by Kelly's successor Ben Rich.
Skunk Works: A Personal Memoir of My Years of Lockheed by Ben R. Rich and Leo Janos

I will have to check that out
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-06-2013, 08:23 AM
Finally An Engineer
FRC #3280

Rookie Year: 2005
JamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond repute

I would have to add another +1 for ths Skunkworks book.

I would also reccomend Code Name Ginger, it is different than the others listed but is an interesting look behind the scenes of the developmkent of the segway, and anyone with FIRST experience (especially in New England) will recognize quite a few names.

3594 (2011)
3280 (2010)
1665 (2009)
1350 (2008-2009)
1493 (2007-2008)
1568 (2005-2007)
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-06-2013, 08:45 AM
AKA: Jim
FRC #1726 (N.E.R.D.S.)

Rookie Year: 2006
MrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRotolo View Post
Soul of a new machine, a story about the development team working on a (then) unprecedented 32-bit processor.
I was going to mention this one. Also there's a book about ENIAC

Eniac: The Triumphs and Tragedies of the World's First Computer

by Scott McCartney
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:26 PM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)

Rookie Year: 2004
Ian Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the stories and insights posted in this thread (The Meaning of FIRST), reminded me of some books I have since read or have been recommended to me that I thought others might enjoy.

The Most Powerful Idea in the World is about the development of the steam engine. While there are some crazy details about how they built them (the first steam engine ran 100 years before the first metalworking lathe!), there is some incredible insight into how our legal and patent systems were built, and how they contributed to development.

Although I haven't read them yet, the following were also recommended to me. The former is really a book about airplane technology development, but the latter speaks a great deal to all the important things we don't teach/learn (at least formally) in college. In my personal view, plugging some of those gaps is a great benefit of FIRST.

What Engineers know and how they know it

Engineering and the Mind's Eye

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: