OCCRA
Go to Post A good defense can defend against a good defense. - Squeakypig [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Robot Showcase
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #91   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Robonauts 118 - 2012 Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTran View Post
If anything, they would have planned for this.
And that's the beauty of it, isn't it? The inspiration that 118 has brought to the 2012 FRC game will go down as one of the legends in our history. They have inspired us in so many ways already:
- the risky and elegant design
- the documentation and in-depth discussions regarding the risks of the design
- what they are doing for this game, encouraging curiosity, adventure, integrity, and good sportsmanship - all in Week 1
- what they are doing for the Central Texas region - bringing their A game to a 2nd year Regional and sharing that A game with the veteran teams and rookie teams, alike - all the while, dealing with the glaring spotlight and the impact of the decision regarding their design

And these are just the aspects of the legend that I've thought about since their video release and throughout yesterday and today. I can't wait to follow them throughout their competition season and to celebrate with them as they go.

We are all very lucky to have FRC 118, the Robonauts, ready to rumble this 2012 FRC season. It's incredible.

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #92   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Lead Team Mentor
FRC #3785 (Gila Monsters)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2011
GilaMonsterAlex is an unknown quantity at this point

This is an awesome robot. I can see how this can be ruled illegal, but that doesn't take away from the fact that this robot can do this. Pure Awesome!

Way to go 118!!
  #93   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-06-2012, 10:48 PM
no team

kcoriginal is an unknown quantity at this point

Will 118 ever post CAD from this robot... or any other previous 'bot?

I am just getting started in Solidworks and just generally I would like to look at it for about 9 and a half YEARS in absolute amazement...!

It was absolute liquid art to see at the Alamo Regional this weekend... Larger than life. I will remember it quite fondly for the rest of mine!

Thx for the beauty, the inspiration, the action, and the intrigue! So it ended with some bad luck, but you guys won so SOOOO much more!!!

thx, again!
kc

Last edited by kcoriginal : 03-06-2012 at 10:52 PM.
  #94   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2012, 10:21 PM
AKA: Daniel
FRC #0364 (Team Fusion)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2010
Captaindan is a jewel in the roughCaptaindan is a jewel in the roughCaptaindan is a jewel in the roughCaptaindan is a jewel in the rough

Hoping to see you guys at lonestar with our more than competent robot functioning 100 percent as opposed to bayou.
  #95   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:44 AM
Flybotix Fanatic
FRC #1885 (iLITE)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

I keep coming back to watch this video and show it to coworkers every few days. It's led me to feel that FIRST should make a marketing-based award for best launch video, with the deadline 1 week after build stop day. Forget hiring a professional production crew; FIRST already has the talent in their program. With YouTube, phone video cameras, and even built-in Windows Movie Maker we could get some pretty good videography that FIRST can use to spread its message.

Why is this video so good? It tugs at the emotional side of any nerd who loved watching a shuttle launch. It's simultaneously inspiring and intimidating to other FRC teams. Finally, the music doesn't cater to any single genre of music-lovers.

I agree it's a good robot -- but it's an even better video.
  #96   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:18 AM
Andrew Lynch
FRC #2587 (DiscoBots)

Rookie Year: 2001
lynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lynca

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseK View Post
I keep coming back to watch this video and show it to coworkers every few days. It's led me to feel that FIRST should make a marketing-based award for best launch video, with the deadline 1 week after build stop day. Forget hiring a professional production crew; FIRST already has the talent in their program. With YouTube, phone video cameras, and even built-in Windows Movie Maker we could get some pretty good videography that FIRST can use to spread its message.
Great idea ! Adding a video award at the end of build season would be a great way to encourage teams to document their progress.
  #97   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2012, 03:39 PM
WittyTitleGen can't link to library
AKA: Milner
FRC #1361 (Nightmare Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2009
lcoreyl has much to be proud oflcoreyl has much to be proud oflcoreyl has much to be proud oflcoreyl has much to be proud oflcoreyl has much to be proud oflcoreyl has much to be proud oflcoreyl has much to be proud oflcoreyl has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseK View Post

Why is this video so good? It tugs at the emotional side of any nerd who loved watching a shuttle launch. It's simultaneously inspiring and intimidating to other FRC teams. Finally, the music doesn't cater to any single genre of music-lovers.

I agree it's a good robot -- but it's an even better video.
Absolutely, absolutely, absolutely. I too, have watched, and rewatched both this years and last years videos from them and feel they set the standard (for many things, but right now I mean video production). I think an award to give both recognition and incentive to this would be perfect!

speaking of videos, anyone have a video of this mechanism being used with other robots?
  #98   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2012, 06:09 PM
AKA: Daniel Joaquin
FRC #3997 (Screaming Chickens)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2012
Kageshini is an unknown quantity at this point

Pretty late but how were you able to shoot baskets so rapidly from experience out robot needed 2-3 sec to regain speed how did y'all over come that?
2013 Alamo Finalist/Wildcard Winners
2013 Newton Semi Finalist
  #99   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Mentor
AKA: Garrett Finnell
FRC #2395
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2008
GarrettF2395 is a glorious beacon of lightGarrettF2395 is a glorious beacon of lightGarrettF2395 is a glorious beacon of lightGarrettF2395 is a glorious beacon of lightGarrettF2395 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to GarrettF2395 Send a message via Skype™ to GarrettF2395

Since this thread is up, I would like to submit a formal request to the robonauts for any other video footage they might have of the bridge mechanism in opporation. It would be a shame if 5 seconds of video is all the CD community gets to see of your amazing device. Especially after all the hard work put into its design and construction.

All in favor say I.

2012 OKC Judges Award

#100   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2012, 08:06 AM
Still 0 blue banners...
AKA: Wing
FRC #1648 (G3 Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2008
Anupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Anupam Goli

I!

I'm also interested in your vision control. I read about you guys using Beaglebone and OpenCV. I'm actually doing something similar at my workplace, though we're using an Android instead of Beaglebone.
Georgia Institute of Technology Class of 2016
I wish everyone a great season, and good luck!
  #101   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Flybotix Fanatic
FRC #1885 (iLITE)

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, still good after the umpteenth view.
  #102   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2012, 12:44 PM
mechanical engineer
AKA: Todd Ferrante
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)

Rookie Year: 2011
ToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond repute

Ever since it first came out, I've been showing this video to family and co-workers and linking to it on other forums as an introduction to FIRST. Our team is participating in a NASA demo at Busch Gardens this weekend, and we may even show it there. Adding an award for best robot intro video is a fantastic idea.
video channel
  #103   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-05-2012, 03:48 PM
FRC #0118 (Robonauts)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Justin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Ridley has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Justin Ridley

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettF2395 View Post
Since this thread is up, I would like to submit a formal request to the robonauts for any other video footage they might have of the bridge mechanism in opporation. It would be a shame if 5 seconds of video is all the CD community gets to see of your amazing device. Especially after all the hard work put into its design and construction.

All in favor say I.
Here's some short clips from testing during week 6.

http://youtu.be/0plwV3lCZE4

The power take off driving mechanism wasn't 100% ready for ship, so we modified the end effector to a simpler design for Alamo which would only hang. (There's a few pictures of this in action at the end). We had plans to refine the driving feature afterwards, but there was obviously no need.

This mechanism proved to be one of the toughest design challenges The Robonauts have ever undertaken. We learned a lot from the attempt and had a fun time with it regardless of the end results.
  #104   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-05-2012, 04:18 PM
@Nick_Coussens
AKA: Nick Coussens
FRC #2451 (PWNAGE (VRCC: NAR))

Rookie Year: 2007
pwnageNick has much to be proud ofpwnageNick has much to be proud ofpwnageNick has much to be proud ofpwnageNick has much to be proud ofpwnageNick has much to be proud ofpwnageNick has much to be proud ofpwnageNick has much to be proud ofpwnageNick has much to be proud ofpwnageNick has much to be proud ofpwnageNick has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to pwnageNick

Quote:
Here's some short clips from testing during week 6.

http://youtu.be/0plwV3lCZE4

The power take off driving mechanism wasn't 100% ready for ship, so we modified the end effector to a simpler design for Alamo which would only hang. (There's a few pictures of this in action at the end). We had plans to refine the driving feature afterwards, but there was obviously no need.

This mechanism proved to be one of the toughest design challenges The Robonauts have ever undertaken. We learned a lot from the attempt and had a fun time with it regardless of the end results.
Such awesomeness.
2014 World Championship (Curie Division): Division Finalists (1718, 573, 2016), Creativity Award
2014 Midwest Regional: Champions (Alliance Captain with 1625, 5125), Engineering Excellence Award

NAR: North American Robotics, VEXU/VRCC
2013 World Championship: World Finalists, Excellence Award
NAR Facebook 2451 PWNAGE Facebook
  #105   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2012, 03:13 AM
Mentor
AKA: Glenn
FRC #0359 (Hawaiian Kids)

Rookie Year: 2000
waialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing Justin.
You folks definitely demonstrate awesome engineering that inspires many here in the FIRST community.

Easily my favorite robot of the year.

2014 OZARK Mountain Brawl Champions, #1 seed.
2014 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed, UL Safety Award
2014 Dallas Regional Champions, #1 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2014 Northern Lights Regional Champions, #1 seed, Entrepreneurship Award
2013 Texas Robot Roundup Finalist
2013 Championship Dean's List Winner
2013 Hawaii Regional Finalist, #1 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2013 Utah Regional Champion, #1 seed, KP&B Award, Deans List
2013 Boilermaker Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award
2012 Lone Star Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award
2012 Hawaii Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award

2011 NYC-Regional Champion, #1 seed, Chairman's Award, Safety Award
2011 Hawaii-Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award, Volunteer of the Year, Website Award
2011 Las Vegas-Regional Finalist, #2 seed, WFFA, KP&C Entrepreneurship Award,
2011 FRC World Championship-Championship Chairman's Award
2011 IRI-Tournament Champions

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: