OCCRA
Go to Post None. Ours is anorexic at the moment. Lets see if the building people can come up with a simple tetra-knockdown mechanism. - Fixen [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-12-2012, 03:22 PM
FRC #0619

computerish is an unknown quantity at this point
Best board for vision processing (beagle/panda/beaglebone/etc?)

Our team is looking at doing some off-cRIO vision processing next year since the FIRST-provided vision API is so limited. We're looking at purchasing one of the ARM-based boards to do vision processing with OpenCV and send whatever data we need over to the cRIO.

I know at least a few teams have done this last year. What have you used or seen others using as far as hardware? Beagle boards? Pandaboards? Something else?

Thanks!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-12-2012, 07:43 PM
AKA: Brandon Hjelstrom
FRC #0987 (High Rollers)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2012
Gigakaiser has a spectacular aura aboutGigakaiser has a spectacular aura about
Re: Best board for vision processing (beagle/panda/beaglebone/etc?)

987 used a Pandaboard. (documentation here) You may want to look at the Raspberry Pi - it was recently released and only costs $25.

The Pandaboard definitely has more documentation and a larger user base, so it may be easier to get started with it.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Intern - EmbedTek
AKA: Cory Rypkema
FRC #0706
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
~Cory~ is a splendid one to behold~Cory~ is a splendid one to behold~Cory~ is a splendid one to behold~Cory~ is a splendid one to behold~Cory~ is a splendid one to behold~Cory~ is a splendid one to behold~Cory~ is a splendid one to behold

I just received my $35 model B Raspberry Pi and am doing some initial testing with it. Off-season robots could use the 3x more powerful gooseberry pi (only wifi is supported so competition is out of the question). I've been contemplating creating a simple board with a single Ethernet port and a dspic33, pic32 or DaVinci processor...

In the performance category, a beefy driver station laptop is going to be very difficult to beat.
'11-'13 Captain, Cyberhawks 706
'13 Buckeye Finalist
'12 Dean's List Finalist
'10 Wisconsin Finalists and Design in Innovation winner
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2012, 12:08 AM
Needs to change his user title.
AKA: Eric Haskins
no team (CARD #6 (SCOE))
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2006
EHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond reputeEHaskins has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to EHaskins Send a message via Skype™ to EHaskins

I've used the BeagleBoard-xM for vision processing on non-FRC robots. We were doing optical flow tracking and multiple shape detection at 10-20fps depending on other workloads.

My configuration was C# logic running on Mono using OpenCV through the EmguCV wrapper for .net.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-18-2012, 03:50 PM
AKA: Jordan McMichael
FRC #0027 (Team RUSH 27)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2011
jlmcmchl is a splendid one to beholdjlmcmchl is a splendid one to beholdjlmcmchl is a splendid one to beholdjlmcmchl is a splendid one to beholdjlmcmchl is a splendid one to beholdjlmcmchl is a splendid one to beholdjlmcmchl is a splendid one to beholdjlmcmchl is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigakaiser View Post
You may want to look at the Raspberry Pi - it was recently released and only costs $25.
I would also have suggested the Raspberry Pi, the big issue is the time between ordering and receiving the board. I ordered one at the very end of June, and it's not coming in until October. Those things are seriously popular somewhere.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2012, 12:03 PM
FRC #0011 (MORT - Team 11)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1997
techhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond reputetechhelpbb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmcmchl View Post
I would also have suggested the Raspberry Pi, the big issue is the time between ordering and receiving the board. I ordered one at the very end of June, and it's not coming in until October. Those things are seriously popular somewhere.
I have had one on order exactly as long as you have. They only produce them in large quantity so that they drive down the costs with quantity.

People see the low costs and think it's fantastic because of the performance for that cost. Well, the trade off is that it's very...very...difficult to get them and usually you can get them one at a time.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2012, 01:03 PM
CAD, machining, circuits, fun!
AKA: Some call me... Tim?
FRC #0365 (MOE)

Rookie Year: 2002
stinglikeabee has a brilliant futurestinglikeabee has a brilliant futurestinglikeabee has a brilliant futurestinglikeabee has a brilliant futurestinglikeabee has a brilliant futurestinglikeabee has a brilliant futurestinglikeabee has a brilliant futurestinglikeabee has a brilliant futurestinglikeabee has a brilliant futurestinglikeabee has a brilliant futurestinglikeabee has a brilliant future

From my limited discussion with some fellow mentors, The RoboBees (FRC 836) are experimenting with a PandaBoard for stereo vision.

FWIW, I think they are $169, which is still cheap.

I don't know much more than that since I'm just a mechanical mentor

Last edited by stinglikeabee : 08-29-2012 at 01:05 PM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-28-2012, 07:38 AM
FRC #0772

mdrouillard is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a beagleboard XM rev C, with Ubuntu running on it. However we are having a real tough time getting OpenCV compiled and built for it. Currently stuck in the steps regarding ffmpeg as this portion refuses to compile. Does anyone have experience in getting this working that could assist me?

I have googled to the end (it seems) of the interwebs. I am currently following 2 recipes from http://www.ozbotz.org/opencv-installation/ and http://opencv.willowgarage.com/wiki/Ubuntu_Packages with limited success.

The ./configure line I used before the make is...

ubuntu@omap:~/OPCVtry2/ffmpeg-0.11.1$ ./configure --enable-gpl --enable-libfaac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc --enable-version3 --enable-x11grab --enable-pthreads --enable-pic

which gets me to
ffmpeg-0.11.1/libavcodec/libx264.c:478: undefined reference to `x264_encoder_open_124'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [ffmpeg_g] Error 1

Any ideas folks?

Many thanks.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-30-2012, 11:35 AM
Engineering Program Management
VRC #8081 (STEMRobotics / DEWBots)

Rookie Year: 2005
Foster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond repute

Recent production increase of the Raspberry PI and a memory increase to 512 makes this a better choice as a co-processor. Delivery times are now ~14 days, so ordering now is a must.

Still love the Beagle Bone for the IO farm it has, but for a small vision processor the PI has moved to the front.

I still think that computer vision isn't possible this year. Too much color differences between shops (crappy incandescent), practice field (florescent) and game fields (mercury and sodium). St Louis has the new SuperLux lamps to make color and brightness on TV work well. But I think the improvements in processors will let the vision sent back to the player station be a huge bonus.
-2012 - Gateway World Championship - Amaze, Energy and Community Awards --- PSU Firefight - 1st, 2nd Junior Division & 2 Design Awards
-2011 - Round Up World Championship - Think, Teamwork and Excellence Awards -- PSU Firefight - 1st, 2nd, 3rd Junior Division & 3 Design Awards - KTOR College Excellence Award
-2010 - Mentor of the Year - VEX Clean Sweep World Championship --- VEX Champion, VEX Swept Away at IRI --- PSU Firefight 2nd & 3rd Junior Division
Downingtown Area Robotics Web site and VEXMen Team Site come see what we can do for you.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-30-2012, 12:12 PM
AKA: That's "Mr. Bill"
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)

Rookie Year: 2005
billbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond repute

Foster, I have to agree with you on one point here, and respectfully disagree on another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster View Post
Recent production increase of the Raspberry PI and a memory increase to 512 makes this a better choice as a co-processor. Delivery times are now ~14 days, so ordering now is a must.

Still love the Beagle Bone for the IO farm it has, but for a small vision processor the PI has moved to the front.
I think the PI has good potential to be an outboard video processor and am hoping to give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster View Post
I still think that computer vision isn't possible this year. Too much color differences between shops (crappy incandescent), practice field (florescent) and game fields (mercury and sodium). St Louis has the new SuperLux lamps to make color and brightness on TV work well. But I think the improvements in processors will let the vision sent back to the player station be a huge bonus.
Lighting variations between your shop and the playing field should have little or no affect on your performance.
If careful White Balance and Brightness calibrations are performed in your shop, and then again on the competition field, you should have very similar, if not identical outcomes.
By no means should you allow either of these values to run in Auto mode, especially the White Balance.

We have successfully used cRio vision processing for the last few years with solid results because we made sure we performed these calibrations in both locations.
2011 Sacramento Finalist, 2011 Madtown Engineering Inspiration Award
2012 Sacramento Semi-Finals, 2012 Sacramento Innovation in Control Award, 2012 SVR Judges Award.
2012 CalGames Autonomous Challenge Award winner ($$$).
2013 Pow3rhou53 Pwnage Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 2X Rockwell Automation: Innovation in Control Award (CVR and SAC). Curie Division, Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 Capital City Classic Winner AND Runner Up.

Last edited by billbo911 : 10-30-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Sound advice from Tom B.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-30-2012, 12:20 PM
AKA: Roy Dumlao
FRC #4543 (Apollo Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
roystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to roystur44

2012 we used a FitPC2 coupled to a custom circuit board( gyro, power regulator, multiple high speed encoder inputs)

http://www.fit-pc.com/web/fit-pc/

Mentor/Sponsor
2006-2012 971
2013-2014 4543

Last edited by roystur44 : 10-30-2012 at 12:27 PM.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Custom User Title
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Tom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Bottiglieri

I'd recommend doing some benchmarks on these platforms before making a recommendation. The Pi, while a cool board for the price, is pretty underpowered for this kind of task. I was only able to pull about 10 FPS off a Logitech webcam using the Pi using OpenCV without doing any image analysis. I was using the Python bindings so there is probably some performance to be claimed by nixing the interpreter and compiling some C, but I don't think it will be much.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-30-2012, 09:42 PM
does what needs to be done.
FRC #2449 (Out of Orbit Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
daniel_dsouza has a spectacular aura aboutdaniel_dsouza has a spectacular aura about

What would you think of this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=50002136%2040000003& IsNodeId=1&name=Barebone%20Systems

they seem to be good for the price...The only problem is a power supply. But if you were robot mounting a kinect, you would probably have enough experience to power this as well...
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-02-2012, 05:49 AM
FRC #0772

mdrouillard is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all, some more information from my earlier post.

I was running Ubuntu 11.04 on the beagleboard which ofcourse is an ARM processor. As it turns out, ubuntu removed support in the kernel for some of the features that I was trying to link against, and there really is no way of gettng this package to compile under 11.04 on arm. So, I did discover that OpenCV can be built into the kernel under Angstrom using the narcissus image building tool so that is what I am off to attempt now.

As a positive side effect of this, the beagle board now is clocking at 1Ghtz, rather than the 650 that ubuntu was running at, since the angstrom image is better optimized for this hardware.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2012, 10:12 PM
[Certified LabVIEW Developer]
FRC #1219

Rookie Year: 2010
SuperS_5 will become famous soon enoughSuperS_5 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_dsouza View Post
What would you think of this?
<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&amp;N=50002136%2040000 003&amp;IsNodeId=1&amp;name=Barebone%20Systems" target="_blank">http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0000 003&amp; IsNodeId=1&amp;name=Barebone%20Systems</a>
<br />
<br /> they seem to be good for the price...The only problem is a power supply. But if you were robot mounting a kinect, you would probably have enough experience to power this as well...
I have been keeping an eye on that kind of solution over the past few years, but still remain relativity expressive. If a windows machine is a requirement, upgrading the driver-station (or a second one) might be a better investment. Although it'll make using the Kinect easier to use the windows machine, I did find this with quick goofu, http://www.pansenti.com/wordpress/?page_id=1772
I've placed my order for a rPi, but is back-ordered. Some of the other arm based boards are also contenders, especially for robotics, despite the increased priced over the rPi.

Sent from my AT100 Using ForumTouch for Android
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: