OCCRA
Go to Post IT'S LIKE FIRSTmas CAME EARLY THIS YEAR!!! THANKS VEXPro! - akoscielski3 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2013, 03:26 PM
FTC #3603 (Reed City Cyber Coyotes)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2012
sandbag747 is an unknown quantity at this point
Making Telescopic Arm

Our team was at a loss for trying to make a telescopic arm and I thought of coming here but wasn't exactly sure where to put it. Does anybody have any good ideas for making a telescopic arm for like climbing or know of any videos or stuff like that? Thanks in advance
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2013, 03:32 PM
FRC #0360

RyanB is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Making Telescopic Arm

Depending oh how you power the arms something as simple as increasing diameters of PVC pipe can make a telescoping arm. If you look at 2011 robots there are some great examples of vertically extending arms.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2013, 03:40 PM
FTC #3603 (Reed City Cyber Coyotes)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2012
sandbag747 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
Depending oh how you power the arms something as simple as increasing diameters of PVC pipe can make a telescoping arm. If you look at 2011 robots there are some great examples of vertically extending arms.
We don't even know how to move the segments if we tried that, how would you power it? My thought was pneumatic but we need it shorter thank the full length
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2013, 07:04 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbag747 View Post
We don't even know how to move the segments if we tried that, how would you power it? My thought was pneumatic but we need it shorter thank the full length
Use a shorter pneumatic piston. The only restriction is that the piston (cylinder) be rated to 125 psi.
Also, look at some of 254's cable-powered lifts, for example in 2007. That takes a motor, a winch, and some cable or rope, along with pulleys. A little more work, perhaps, but infinite positions within the range of motion.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2013, 07:10 PM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

If its single stage (it should be), a leadscrew and Delrin sliders should get you started. 2016's 2011 robot is a good example that at one point we considered emulating.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2013, 07:20 PM
AKA: Patrick Freivald
FRC #1551 (The Grapes of Wrath)

Rookie Year: 2001
pfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond repute

We strongly considered emulating 1551's Regional-winning arm from 2010. Oh, and then we did that, with some modifications, because, well, emulating a prior success seemed like a good idea.

We used Bosch Rexroth extruded aluminum and delrin sliders on an aluminum carriage, on a fast multi-start screw driven by a CIM. This year we're going with two CIMs and some constant-force springs (because we learned some things from 2010!) The drive mechanism is *heavy*, but we think it's necessary to ensure a stable, smooth, efficient climb.
Bausch & Lomb, PTC Corporation, and Naples High School

I write books, too!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2013, 08:26 PM
Mechanical Engineer
AKA: Craig Boezwinkle
FRC #2811 (StormBots)

Rookie Year: 2009
craigboez is just really nicecraigboez is just really nicecraigboez is just really nicecraigboez is just really nicecraigboez is just really nice
We're making a 4 stage telescopic arm. The base is 5x5 aluminum square tubing, the next stage is 4x4, then 3x3 and 2x2. I'd suggest searching for images of telehandlers for inspiration. JLG, Genie, and several others make a lot of machines like this. Your local Sunbelt or United rental may even let you analyze one up close.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Drive Coach...
AKA: Kinsuk Shah
None #2016

Rookie Year: 2000
ks_mumupsi has much to be proud ofks_mumupsi has much to be proud ofks_mumupsi has much to be proud ofks_mumupsi has much to be proud ofks_mumupsi has much to be proud ofks_mumupsi has much to be proud ofks_mumupsi has much to be proud ofks_mumupsi has much to be proud ofks_mumupsi has much to be proud ofks_mumupsi has much to be proud of

As Chris said, we have used the lead screw three years in a row for different functions...

It is easy and effective for the right function.

If you have any questions on building a telescoping arm reach out to me and I can share the appropriate details.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2013, 09:46 PM
FRC #3573 (Ohms)

Rookie Year: 2003
Retired Starman is a splendid one to beholdRetired Starman is a splendid one to beholdRetired Starman is a splendid one to beholdRetired Starman is a splendid one to beholdRetired Starman is a splendid one to beholdRetired Starman is a splendid one to beholdRetired Starman is a splendid one to behold

Back to basics.

Look at this link from Andy at AndyMark. It has a nice diagram of how a telescoping system works.

http://d1pytrrjwm20z9.cloudfront.net...atorDesign.pdf

You can put the tubes inside each other or slide them along side each other, either way will work.

Here is an old CD thread that might help, also,

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...t=manipulators

Finally, many pop-up campers use cable lift systems. Here is a link to how they work.

ttp://www.customcylindersintinc.com/understanding_camping_trailers_roof_lift_systems.h tm

Dr. Bob
Chairman's Award is not about building the robot. Every team builds a robot.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: