OCCRA
Go to Post Woody is wearing flippers... 2014 WATER GAME! - Team23pitboss [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2013, 10:39 PM
FRC #2834 (Bionic Black Hawks)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2009
Ed Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond repute
OPR after Week Seven Events

The OPR/CCWM numbers up to Week 7 events have been posted, please see

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2174

If you find any error or have any questions, please let me know.

I will post this again after the division data of the World Championship is announced.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2013, 11:46 PM
AKA: Simon Bohn
FRC #0639 (Code Red)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
Grim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond repute
Re: OPR after Week Seven Events

So after 7 weeks, what is the final verdict on OPR in 2013? I feel like it's a pretty good measurement as scoring is mostly linear.

-Buckeye Regional Champion 2013, 2014
-Newton Division Finalists 2012 thanks to 68 and 330
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2013, 02:53 AM
Unprepared
AKA: Wil Payne (@Wil_Payne)
FRC #0422 (The Mech Tech Dragons)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
PayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to PayneTrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Tuesday View Post
So after 7 weeks, what is the final verdict on OPR in 2013? I feel like it's a pretty good measurement as scoring is mostly linear.
No one's totally sure until Karthik either praises or denigrates it in his strategy presentation this year.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2013, 06:43 AM
FRC #2537
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2012
gabrielau23 is just really nicegabrielau23 is just really nicegabrielau23 is just really nicegabrielau23 is just really nice

I'm not sure how it's calculated, but I feel like it's a decent way to scout as long as it's followed up by actual scouting of a team. It's going to sound like I'm whining here, but it's true. Except for one match, our team scored above 50% (in some cases we scored above 65%) of our alliance's total points during the competition (including elims). Our average points per match was 40 (and this is including a match where we jammed and only scored 25 points). If we take that match out, I believe that we averaged over 44 points per match. Yet our team only won two matches during the entire competition. So, I mean, it's a good measurement, but teams are going to be missed.
Generally, however, I do think it's an invaluable tool for smaller teams who don't have the resources to do a bunch of scouting themselves. For the most part, robots can be measured by those metrics and it's mostly accurate.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2013, 07:35 AM
FRC #2702 (REBotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
Bongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Bongle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayneTrain View Post
No one's totally sure until Karthik either praises or denigrates it in his strategy presentation this year.
I can think of other issues with OPR that are unchanging from year to year:
-How valuable is a scouting system that everyone else is using? How do you differentiate your picks from other teams' picks if you're all picking from the same OPR/CCWM-derived list?
-OPR doesn't take into account a robot's type and how it interacts with other robots. You can get a high OPR in qualifying simply by supplying discs to a floor loader that then scores them for you. But an alliance of disc-suppliers would score very poorly in eliminations.
-OPR doesn't compare well at all across events. Waterloo had a ridiculous average OPR (even excluding 1114/2056), but that was probably because nearly every robot there was offensive, and so little defense was played. If you added 10 defensive robots to the pool, everyone else's OPR would have fallen drastically. You can do a "global OPR", but I doubt it corrects that much.

OPR seemed to do very well this year as far as its ability to reflect robot's effectiveness within a regional, but there are broader issues with it than just that. IIRC, Karthik's main complaint about OPR was that people were using it for scouting and comparing robots without really understanding it or understanding its shortcomings like those I listed above.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:37 AM
Unprepared
AKA: Wil Payne (@Wil_Payne)
FRC #0422 (The Mech Tech Dragons)

Rookie Year: 2008
PayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to PayneTrain

^It was just a joke, bro. If a team bases scouting off of a singular statistical value (that they may not even fully understand).

I would say OPR is really good at figuring out at what level a robot can play at, but without the context of knowing the "class" of the robot, the number is meaningless. Teams 11 and 245 are some of the better known "cyclers" that may have a high OPR, but would a cycler pick another cycler over a floor loader because the cycler has a higher OPR?

I guess they always could, but that probably means scouting wants to take the rest of the day off and not worry about scouting any elims.

But maybe the cycler also played some impeccable defense and was very agile in transition so they could easily switch between offense and defense... and the rabbit hole get's deeper.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:33 AM
AKA: Mark Anderson
FRC #2338 (Gear It Forward)

Rookie Year: 2006
GearsOfFury is a splendid one to beholdGearsOfFury is a splendid one to beholdGearsOfFury is a splendid one to beholdGearsOfFury is a splendid one to beholdGearsOfFury is a splendid one to beholdGearsOfFury is a splendid one to beholdGearsOfFury is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongle View Post
I can think of other issues with OPR that are unchanging from year to year:
-How valuable is a scouting system that everyone else is using? How do you differentiate your picks from other teams' picks if you're all picking from the same OPR/CCWM-derived list?
Totally agree with all of your other points except this one. Why do you need to "differentiate your picks" for the sake of differentiation? You need to find the best robots available to complete your alliance. If there were a single, universal system to do this, it wouldn't be any less valuable just because everyone else was using it.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:38 AM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)

Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

OPR (specifically CCWM) is better than I expected at separating teams, and seems to be ~85% accurate based on a comparison to a few events of data.

That said, you have to remember that OPR is an approximation of skill that is better than average score but no replacement for a real scouting system. It's a decent "sanity check" to see if you missed an outlier or two but if you have actual data I wouldn't even touch it.

During and after the season, it's a very good approximation of skill that is very useful for Internet debates.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Raptors can't turn doorknobs.
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)

Rookie Year: 1999
Tom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond repute

OPR is an excellent indicator this year.

What OPR does not clarify, however, is autonomous and climbing.

Autonomous is indefensible. I would much much rather have a robot that has an opr of 55 because it scores a 7 disk every single time in auton, then climbs quickly at the end. Even if it has a zero teleop score. Because that's the perfect robot to have play defense.

OPR will never be an end-all measurement, and you really have to understand the mechanics of the game.

Another place that OPR fails is defense. There were several extremely well-scoring machines at MSC that had low OPR's because they spent half their matches playing defense. Unless you scouted and knew that, you'd assume they were just poor robots.

That's the kind of third round sleeper pick that high seeded teams dream of.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Karthik's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics GDC Chairman
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayneTrain View Post
OPR in 2013 as a predictor of a robot's contribution to an alliance = Thumbs Up
OPR in 2013 as a primary or solitary scouting tool = Thumbs Down
OPR in 2013 as a tool to complement effective match scouting = Thumbs Way Up
OPR in 2013 as a stat that is blindly quoted by those without a fundamental understanding of what it means = Thumbs Way Down

For a more detailed analysis, come check out my seminar in St. Louis.
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
Full disclosure: I work for IFI and VEX Robotics, and am the Chairman of the VEX Robotics and VEX IQ Game Design Committees

Last edited by Karthik : 04-14-2013 at 10:29 AM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:41 AM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

Rookie Year: 2004
IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik View Post
OPR in 2013 as a stat that is blindly quoted by those without a fundamental understanding of what it means = Thumbs Way Down

How many thumbs do you have?

2012 Boilermaker Engineering Excellence Award
2010 Boilermaker Rockwell Innovation in Control Award.
2009 Buckeye J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2009 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2008 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2007 St Louis Regional Winners
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Data Nerd
FRC #0125 (NUTRONS) (EWCP)

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySam View Post
How many thumbs do you have?
Somewhere, deep in the bowels of 1114's shop, there exists a room full of nothing but students training to be Karthik's hand doubles. They practice thumbs up and thumbs down for hours a day for many years until they are needed in an occasion such as this.

Planning to top a 4 banner year...
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2004
Ian Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
On top of that, it is not terribly difficult to actually match scout and get much more accurate, much more useful data. Fundamentally OPR has way less information to rank teams than a match scouter does, so it should come as a surprise to no one that it doesn't do as good of a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert Wiener
The best model of a cat is another, or preferably the same, cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by George E.P. Box
All models are wrong, some are useful.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Missouri State Sophomore (Comp Sci)
AKA: Dillon Woollums
FRC #1806 (S.W.A.T.)

Rookie Year: 2012
Woolly has a reputation beyond reputeWoolly has a reputation beyond reputeWoolly has a reputation beyond reputeWoolly has a reputation beyond reputeWoolly has a reputation beyond reputeWoolly has a reputation beyond reputeWoolly has a reputation beyond reputeWoolly has a reputation beyond reputeWoolly has a reputation beyond reputeWoolly has a reputation beyond reputeWoolly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Woolly

Quote:

In other words, a good strategy would be to use traditional scouting to find robots that complement your robot and strategy, and then look at their calculated contributions along avg. individual scores to help narrow down and rank those robots.
Though at some point, if there is a redundant robot that is a certain amount better than a complimentary robot, you definitely have to consider the redundant robot over the complimentary. How much of a difference must there be to do that? That is a great subject for a team meeting on Friday night.

Best Finish: 2014- Divisional Semifinalist
Regional Wins: 2013: GKC (1986, 1806, 2457) OKC (1986, 1806, 2389)
Awards: Quality (2014 CIL), Judge's Award (2013 GKC), Innovation in Control (2012 OKC).
2014 Fantasy FIRST Champion (Automated Scoring)
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Currently teamless
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Had to

Alumni/Mentor FRC 11 - MORT | ['11-'12]: Co-Founder/Mentor FRC 3929 | ['06-'10]: Student FRC 11- MORT | ['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: