OCCRA
Go to Post Just because we don't cheer, doesn't mean we don't have fun. ;) - JVN [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming > NI LabVIEW
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

 
Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:35 AM
bumblebee3339's Avatar
bumblebee3339 bumblebee3339 is offline
Team's main account
FRC #3339 (BumbleBee)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Rookie Year: 2009
Location: Israel
Posts: 34
bumblebee3339 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Best way to improve my coding skills for next year?

What is the best way to improve my coding skills in LabVIEW for the next season?

I want to learn how to have more control on my robot,
do more complex things in autonomous mode,
and learn how to do things with the vision processing.

Please advice me about websites to learn from or things I should focus on.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2013, 02:38 PM
tilky's Avatar
tilky tilky is offline
Registered User
AKA: Ryan Thielke
FRC #3137
Team Role: Programmer
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Rookie Year: 2011
Location: Connetquot
Posts: 188
tilky is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Best way to improve my coding skills for next year?

http://team358.org/files/programming...2009-/LabVIEW/ has a lot of code snippets for any function of the robot.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/community/first/frc has tutorials from National Instruments themselves. A good place to look
Reply With Quote
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Chris Hibner's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Chris Hibner Chris Hibner is offline
Eschewing Obfuscation Since 1990
AKA: Lars Kamen's Roadie
FRC #0051 (Wings of Fire)
Team Role: Engineer
 
Join Date: May 2001
Rookie Year: 1997
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,404
Chris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best way to improve my coding skills for next year?

I would say the most important thing is to get the simulation tools working. Once you have that, you can then begin to develop and test your ideas without needing a real robot. That is great for two big reasons: 1) you can develop and test your code from the comfort of your home, and 2) you don't have to worry about breaking something if you make a mistake.

After you get the simulation running, there are a lot of ideas on chiefdelphi if you search. Here are a few things to try:

- Shooter speed control: bang-bang vs. PID

- Arm control: use an encoder or potentiometer with a PID controller to control an arm to pre-set posititions.

- Autonomous: use wheel encoders and a gyro to keep track of distance and heading. Use PID to keep your robot driving straight and to drive a set distance.

- Autonomous: control your autonomous routines through some sort of script
__________________
-
An ounce of perception is worth a pound of obscure.
Reply With Quote
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:36 PM
inkspell4's Avatar
inkspell4 inkspell4 is offline
Registered User
FRC #3650 (Robo Raptors)
Team Role: Programmer
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Rookie Year: 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 326
inkspell4 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilky View Post
http://team358.org/files/programming...2009-/LabVIEW/ has a lot of code snippets for any function of the robot.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/community/first/frc has tutorials from National Instruments themselves. A good place to look
One thing that i have always found important when looking at code is that you understand:

-how it works
-why it works
-when it doesn't work
-what is happening behind the scenes

It is important to not only understand that the code or function does something but you should understand to a certain degree why and how it does it.

For working at home away from the robot you can also use labview with an arduino and develop good coding habits and begin advancing your knowledge of control structures

Also don't be afraid to break off and learn Anouther language as learning how to do something in many different ways will help you understand the logic
__________________
Chesapeake Regional : 2013, 2012, 2011
Rookie Year: 2011
2013 RoboRaptors Team 3650 Programming Team Captain
Team Website : http://www.roboraptorsfrcteam3650.com/index.html
_____________________________________________
Reply With Quote
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:38 AM
bumblebee3339's Avatar
bumblebee3339 bumblebee3339 is offline
Team's main account
FRC #3339 (BumbleBee)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Rookie Year: 2009
Location: Israel
Posts: 34
bumblebee3339 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Best way to improve my coding skills for next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hibner View Post
I would say the most important thing is to get the simulation tools working. Once you have that, you can then begin to develop and test your ideas without needing a real robot. That is great for two big reasons: 1) you can develop and test your code from the comfort of your home, and 2) you don't have to worry about breaking something if you make a mistake.

After you get the simulation running, there are a lot of ideas on chiefdelphi if you search. Here are a few things to try:

- Shooter speed control: bang-bang vs. PID

- Arm control: use an encoder or potentiometer with a PID controller to control an arm to pre-set posititions.

- Autonomous: use wheel encoders and a gyro to keep track of distance and heading. Use PID to keep your robot driving straight and to drive a set distance.

- Autonomous: control your autonomous routines through some sort of script
Great idea
what is bang-bang?
and how does the algorithm of driving straight with PID works?

Thx for the help
Is there a thread with all of these ideas in one place?
Reply With Quote
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Chris Hibner's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Chris Hibner Chris Hibner is offline
Eschewing Obfuscation Since 1990
AKA: Lars Kamen's Roadie
FRC #0051 (Wings of Fire)
Team Role: Engineer
 
Join Date: May 2001
Rookie Year: 1997
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,404
Chris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best way to improve my coding skills for next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee3339 View Post
Great idea
what is bang-bang?
and how does the algorithm of driving straight with PID works?

Thx for the help
Is there a thread with all of these ideas in one place?
No, they're not in one place - you'll need to search.

Here's a thread on bang-bang vs. PID for shooter speed control: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...highlight=bang
__________________
-
An ounce of perception is worth a pound of obscure.
Reply With Quote
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:41 AM
bumblebee3339's Avatar
bumblebee3339 bumblebee3339 is offline
Team's main account
FRC #3339 (BumbleBee)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Rookie Year: 2009
Location: Israel
Posts: 34
bumblebee3339 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Best way to improve my coding skills for next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hibner View Post
No, they're not in one place - you'll need to search.

Here's a thread on bang-bang vs. PID for shooter speed control: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...highlight=bang
Thx.

What about the driving straight with PID? How does it work?
Reply With Quote
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Jared Russell's Avatar
Jared Russell Jared Russell is offline
I feel better now.
AKA: Jared341
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Rookie Year: 2001
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,639
Jared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best way to improve my coding skills for next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee3339 View Post
Thx.

What about the driving straight with PID? How does it work?
Your gyro tells you what your heading is. When you start driving straight, remember what the heading is. As you drive, if your heading drifts clockwise, steer a little bit counter-clockwise. And visa versa.

You could also use the difference between left and right encoder counts to figure out what direction you are driving, but the gyro has the nice property of not caring whether or not your wheels are slipping.
Reply With Quote
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2013, 06:39 PM
bulbajackel's Avatar
bulbajackel bulbajackel is offline
Programmin fo dayz
AKA: Chuck
FRC #2408 (Shrapnel Sergeants)
Team Role: Programmer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Rookie Year: 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 22
bulbajackel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to bulbajackel
Re: Best way to improve my coding skills for next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkspell4 View Post
One thing that i have always found important when looking at code is that you understand:

-how it works
-why it works
-when it doesn't work
-what is happening behind the scenes

It is important to not only understand that the code or function does something but you should understand to a certain degree why and how it does it.

For working at home away from the robot you can also use labview with an arduino and develop good coding habits and begin advancing your knowledge of control structures

Also don't be afraid to break off and learn Anouther language as learning how to do something in many different ways will help you understand the logic
I second this, knowing why your programming behave the reason it does can help identify what you need to do to do anything you want your robot to do. I also suggest just looking at the object pallet as a whole to see what you can work with. Also do some experiments with the blocks, most are self explanatory, but once you get used to using them, they can take you far!
__________________


"It's the programmer's fault"
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 PM.

The Chief Delphi Forums are sponsored by Innovation First International, Inc.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Chief Delphi