Go to Post We're not disappointed if we don't achieve excellence, so long as we did everything we could in our pursuit of it. - JVN [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2004, 02:55 PM
Duckie THE Duct Tape Enthusiast
AKA: Andrea Tribo
FRC #0365 (Miracle Workerz)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
DUCKIE has a brilliant futureDUCKIE has a brilliant futureDUCKIE has a brilliant futureDUCKIE has a brilliant futureDUCKIE has a brilliant futureDUCKIE has a brilliant futureDUCKIE has a brilliant futureDUCKIE has a brilliant futureDUCKIE has a brilliant futureDUCKIE has a brilliant futureDUCKIE has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to DUCKIE
Music / Noise "Restrictions"

"No loud music, audio systems, whistles, banging sticks, blow horns, etc. They interfere with announcements. They prevent teams from hearing important announcements, can be annoying, and can cause hearing loss."
-10-AttheEvents.pdf-

Ok. First off... yes... i AM from MOE 365... the team in Lime-green and Black that assaults the eyes and ears... or atleast we used to.

That aside... i wanted to know how many other students/teams feel that this rule will change the face of FIRST... whether it be in a good way or in a bad.

--------------
My thoughts:

FIRST competitions have always been high-energy. Lots of cheering and lots of spirit. Most teams who have been around a while have come-up with various noisemakers to facilitate team spirit and increase the amount of energy in the arena. Whether they be painted Cow-bells like T-Rex, Spirit Sticks like Diablo, or a set of Moe Sticks.

This new ruleing bans pretty much all noise makers. Excluding your voice and your hands. Keep in mind... it is common to cheer durring matches, and the two award sessions... which can seem to run long sometimes... although they are a big part of every event. And I always think it proper to cheer or bang some sticks for EVERYONE who wins an award at an event.

Now I may be speaking for myself when i say that my hands go numb after a while... and I can loose my voice quite quickly. So i forsee the total amount of cheering at competitions decreasing... thus affecting the energy in the arena... making it more like a science fair once the "rock concert" or "NCAA finals" element of the event is gone.

I can see FIRST's point about announcements and "hearing-loss" however, teams should be aware of when they are due on the field... It could also be argued that Rock Concerts cause hearing loss... but it is something you deal with when going to see a band. It has always been the same with First till now. (I know for a fact the MOE always brings plenty of ear-plugs to our events... and we give them out for FREE to whomever wants some... as we KNOW that we can be loud.)

I also wish to mention the fact that most teams are usually about 15-20 students. Only three are competing, and maybe five are in the pit. What are the other students to do? Looking back to my experieces as a student member of MOE... I know i spent my whole first year working on PR, noisemakers, and mascots (as i was too afraid to do anything overly mechanical at that point.) My second year i was on pit crew and build quite a bit for the robot... along with helping build the mascot and making some sticks. What are the less mechanicaly enclined to do at competitons? (since they are always trying to only have "needed" students in the pits to reduce crowding)

Noisemakers have always been a big part of All FIRST competitions... they kind of MAKE the atmosphere so full of excitement and energy that is equated with FIRST... and I dont want to see them go. I wouldn't want to be stuck sitting in the stands with sore hands and no voice for three days.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: