OCCRA
Go to Post Sleep? What this you talk about. I never can sleep the night before kick-off. - midway78224 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.17 average. Display Modes
  #76   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2004, 08:54 AM
None #0047 (Chief Delphi)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 1994
meaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond repute
Re: THE 2005 HINT!!!!!!!!!

My guess is that there will be more than 4 teams at a time (4 is not enough) playing some type of ring toss game using hula hoops (the center is out)
  #77   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2004, 09:11 AM
My brain hirts.
AKA: Kevin
FRC #0326 (Xtreme Eagles / Romulus High School / General Motors)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Mr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mr.G

First could easily modify their current field. The expensive part is the players stations. They could cut them in half and used them as sides of an octagon. The rest of the field is cheaper railing the can be cut up and welded back together. All that is remaining is carpet that is replaced every year anyway.

Look how much some teams change their robot between rounds, FIRST can certainly modify a field cheaply in 6 months.
  #78   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2004, 09:53 AM
7 years, allready!!???!?!?!
AKA: Mongo
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2000
Greg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Perkins Send a message via MSN to Greg Perkins Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Perkins

Quote:
sur·prise:
tr.v. sur·prised, sur·pris·ing, sur·pris·es

1. To encounter suddenly or unexpectedly; take or catch unawares.
2. To attack or capture suddenly and without warning.
3. To cause to feel wonder, astonishment, or amazement, as at something unanticipated.
1. To cause (someone) to do or say something unintended.
2. To elicit or detect through surprise.
n.

1. The act of surprising or the condition of being surprised.
2. Something, such as an unexpected encounter, event, or gift, that surprises.

I've been debating heavily on posting in this thread....

Its kind of disheartening to sit here and read peoples comments and thoughts. I see January 8th as like Christmas....you've waited all year, now you get to see what your getting... I can't stand people who always ask me what i got them for christmas, its utterly rude, and annoying. I feel the same thing is happening in FIRST.

Now please, dont think I am just trying to be a buzzkill, but I do believe i have a point....Just wait until January, and have it be a real SURPRISE

XBOX Live Gamertag = TrixAre4Kidss
  #79   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2004, 11:10 AM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Perkins
I've been debating heavily on posting in this thread....

Its kind of disheartening to sit here and read peoples comments and thoughts. I see January 8th as like Christmas....you've waited all year, now you get to see what your getting... I can't stand people who always ask me what i got them for christmas, its utterly rude, and annoying. I feel the same thing is happening in FIRST.

Now please, dont think I am just trying to be a buzzkill, but I do believe i have a point....Just wait until January, and have it be a real SURPRISE
I really like your analogy. The kick-off is your opportunity to finally open the REALLY BIG box that has been sitting under the tree. All the guessing, speculation and rumors leading up to kick-off are analogous to shaking the box to try to figure out what might be inside, even though you don't really want to know until you get to unwrap it. The official FIRST hint (when it comes out) is like that little tear in the wrapping paper that almost lets you make out part of the UPC code on the side of the box.

You are right in that the best part is finally being able to "unwrap the box" and see the surprise inside on January 8. But still, I don't think that there is one amoung us that, as a kid, didn't shake the box occasionally!

-dave
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!

Last edited by dlavery : 12-19-2004 at 06:03 PM. Reason: typo
  #80   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2004, 11:24 AM
Wayne C.'s Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
hey- I think we did pretty good?
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)

Rookie Year: 1997
Wayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery
I really like your analogy. The kick-off your opportunity to finally open the REALLY BIG box that has been sitting under the tree. All the guessing, speculation and rumors leading up to kick-off are analogous to shaking the box to try to figure out what might be inside, even though you don't really want to know until you get to unwrap it. The official FIRST hint (when it comes out) is like that little tear in the wrapping paper that almost lets you make out part of the UPC code on the side of the box.

You are right in that the best part is finally being able to "unwrap the box" and see the surprise inside on January 8. But still, I don't think that there is one amoung us that, as a kid, didn't shake the box occasionally!

-dave

Aren't we always told by FIRST to THINK OUTSIDE the BOX ?

( PS- hey Dave- Big Mike has a shirt for you in the latest colors....)

WC

Raider Robotix- www.raiderrobotix.org
  #81   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Back in Action
AKA: Jack Donnelly
None #0222 (Tigertrons)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2003
the_mayor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaubry
My guess is that there will be more than 4 teams at a time (4 is not enough) playing some type of ring toss game using hula hoops (the center is out)
I think your headed in the right direction. But may be intertubes instead of hula hoops. As I said before: it's certainly cryptic enough to be a FIRST hint. I also think "4 is not enough" refers to the number of robots on the field.
  #82   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2004, 03:06 PM
~La Reina de los Robots~
AKA: Stephanie
FRC #1351 (TKO)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2004
RbtGal1351 is a splendid one to beholdRbtGal1351 is a splendid one to beholdRbtGal1351 is a splendid one to beholdRbtGal1351 is a splendid one to beholdRbtGal1351 is a splendid one to beholdRbtGal1351 is a splendid one to beholdRbtGal1351 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to RbtGal1351 Send a message via MSN to RbtGal1351

Quote:
Originally Posted by George1083
Here's my guess. 4 is not enough does mean more than 4 'bots on the field. Each team will be required to build 2 robots this year, one large 'bot controlled by the normal FRC controller and one minibot controlled by the EDUbot controller. 4 big bots will have to deliver the 4 minibots to a center platform where they will run autonomously for the rest of the match.

The small bots will have to corral baseballs into soccer-style goals on the platform while the big bots place donuts on v-shaped goals that can multiply the minibots' scores.
gackht!!
one robot is enough! nooooooooo............
*dies*
Thanks for making FIRST such a great experience for me. I'm no longer on 1351, and I'm not currently planning to mentor team 97, but FIRST has meant so much in getting me to where I am now, in life and at MIT, class of 2011.
I met Billfred! He recognized me!
SVR 04: 11th seed - Highest Rookie Seed - Semifinalists w/ 1120 and 568 - GM Industrial Design Award
SVR 05: Semifinalists w/ 8 and 766
SVR 06: 6th seed - Quarterfinalists w/ 368 and 1072
Davis 06: 1st seed - Quarterfinalists w/ 649 and 100 - KPCB Entrepreneurship Award
SVR 07: 36th seed
David 07: 4th seed - Semifinalists w/ 1280 and 692 - Johnson and Johnson Sportsmanship Award
  #83   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2004, 05:43 PM
AKA: Theresa Cox
FRC #0703 (Phoenix)
Team Role: College Student

#1Transgirl1140 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to #1Transgirl1140 Send a message via Yahoo to #1Transgirl1140

All I can think of is that there is going to be more than 4 robots on the field and that this isn't going to be a center piece in the middle. I wonder if they are going to use IR sensors this year. That'll be interesting.
  #84   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2004, 06:04 PM
AKA: Theresa Cox
FRC #0703 (Phoenix)

#1Transgirl1140 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to #1Transgirl1140 Send a message via Yahoo to #1Transgirl1140

Or the center is out could mean that there is a a center platform or something and if your on it at the end of the game, you automatically lose or lose points.
  #85   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2004, 06:14 PM
Proto-Engineer
AKA: Bjorn Westergard
FRC #1418 (Vae Victus)

phrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to phrontist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbtGal1351
gackht!!
one robot is enough! nooooooooo............
*dies*
That would be too cool.

University of Kentucky - Radio Free Lexington

"I would rather have a really big success or a really spectacular crash and failure then live out the warm eventual death of mediocrity" - Dean Kamen
  #86   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2004, 09:39 PM
FRC #1493 (Falcons)

663.keith is a name known to all663.keith is a name known to all663.keith is a name known to all663.keith is a name known to all663.keith is a name known to all663.keith is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 663.keith

The center is out could always refer to the center being out of bounds, as in the robot cant enter the center (ooh a rhyme!) without getting some sort of penalty. An object could be in the center that the robot would have to get with some sort of extend-able hook type mechanism.
  #87   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2004, 09:52 PM

Stillen is just really niceStillen is just really niceStillen is just really niceStillen is just really niceStillen is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to Stillen

I dunno guys, I've alreaady been having nightmares about this :-) , I "THINK" that when they are saying that "4 is not enough" , they are talking about wheels. Maybe four wheels this year won't be enough..... I know that 99.99% of robots have/had four wheels, I've seen very few trax robots...
  #88   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2004, 10:28 PM
Build, Break, Repeat
AKA: Brandon Mensing
FRC #0246 (Overclocked)

Rookie Year: 2001
generalbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to generalbrando

I could imagine it meaning 4 goals isn't enough. While games in the past prove that idea wrong, 1 goal would not have been enough in 2002 and possibly, likewise, 4 is not enough in this year's game.

The center out...I tried the dictionary - means to single out - not too helpful and probably the wrong direction. Seems likely that if they are referring to goals as speculated here, they are probably talking about the fact that FIRST games general revolve around an object in the center of the field (only exception i can think of is 2002, but that's not exactly an exception since they start in the center).
Lead Mentor of Team #246, Boston University Academy and Boston University, Overclocked
www.burobotics.org

#89   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2004, 10:42 PM
Back in Action
AKA: Jack Donnelly
None #0222 (Tigertrons)
Team Role: Student

the_mayor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillen
I dunno guys, I've alreaady been having nightmares about this :-) , I "THINK" that when they are saying that "4 is not enough" , they are talking about wheels. Maybe four wheels this year won't be enough..... I know that 99.99% of robots have/had four wheels, I've seen very few trax robots...
Valid point. Most teams choose 4 wheel drive. I have found that teams go with 6-wheel drive or tracks when the game involves climbing or a need for a lot of traction. So maybe the game will involve climbing a step that is bigger than six inches. Or maybe the floor of the feild might be made if something else other than carpet which might mean that four wheel drive might not have enough traction.
  #90   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2004, 10:48 PM
#DecadeofDelicious
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2002
Matt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt_Kaplan1902

I'm thinking that "the center is out" might mean we get some weird scoring object (kinda like the donut from 1999).

Just my quick thought.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: