OCCRA
Go to Post Many people read ChiefDelphi, not just members of FRC teams. - JaneYoung [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.86 average. Display Modes
  #451   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2005, 12:55 AM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Collmandoman has a spectacular aura aboutCollmandoman has a spectacular aura aboutCollmandoman has a spectacular aura about
Re: Official 2005 Clue Thread

what if... just to be weird and say this.. There is no initial autonomous mode,but there is an object obstructed from all of our views -that adds big points like the bar- and you have to put your robot in position to 'autonomously' complete a task~ you'll only know when the curtain is let down or whatever is blocking your view- look closely by using your IR sensor glasses and there is something between all of us
and dark side of the moon synches up with wizard of oz... but not really.. at all
  #452   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2005, 01:54 AM

Dr. Gizmo is on a distinguished road

My $.02 -

There seems to be lots of threes here; Amethyst has a hexagonal crystal shape; "Rose", Neun, and Burns all were connected to the same MLB team (the Reds). Neun and Burns mentioned specifically because of the triple play.

I expect three alliances because of the Pi. Rather than 3.14, Pi (radians)could be 180 degrees between alliance partners (you and me). This means a six-sided playing field, with the view between alliance members blocked by the center structure.
  #453   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2005, 04:02 AM
#0021 (ComBBAT)

Rookie Year: 2003
Fredo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fredo Send a message via Yahoo to Fredo

Of what I read and disscussed with others, a 6 sided field seems to be the most likely conclusion. But it just seems hard to determine if we are going to have 6 teams on the field at once (Blue, Red, and Purple [with alliances of 2 teams per side]) OR just 3 teams with one team per side. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages, but here's what I think:

The "Pi between you and me" seem to hint at allances of the field. Even thought allied teams would be right next to each other, they're still would be 360 degrees between them (if walking around the field in a circle).

But all this still leaves a blank slate for the rest of the game however....
  #454   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2005, 07:11 AM
FRC #1403 (Cougar Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
MikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeL303 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo

The "Pi between you and me" seem to hint at allances of the field. Even thought allied teams would be right next to each other
is this like 2000 games where the robots are on the same side along with the drive teams?
Team 1403 (2011- )- Mentor
  #455   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Since 2001.
FRC #0078

Tim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond repute

looking at the recent post and thinking more about the clue and everything that Dave has posted i have to agree with a few things that have recently been posted and some that have been here for a while.

1. The field has to be hexagonal in shape.
2. 3 alliances. I think it will be 3 teams of 2 just because of the higher team registration for regionals and the unofficial hint of '4 is not enough'.
3. We are still going to have an autonomous mode, just because it is a thing that FIRST has come to like, and i can't see them not having us have to program auto modes.
4. Just in response to the not seeing the field before we go on to it. It makes no sense, not to be mean but it doesn't. if you go out for a match FIRST is not going change it every time just so its different, that would be a hell of a lot of time to spend on changing the field, and we would only get in like 20 matches a day at that rate. So i think we will still be able to see the field before hand, and anyways how are they going to stop us from seeing the field while we wait for the match, plus we have to put the robot on the field so it would kinda not make sense to have the drivers station blocked off. however i do see them having a scoring device in front of the players station, idk something like a ramp or bar, or goal.. something.
5. IR sensor possible, but not likely needed. there could be different ways to program auto mode to do what you need than with IR sensors.

theres some more of my 2 cents.
2010 - 2011: FRC Team 3280 - Rhode Rebels
2001 - 2009: FRC Team 229 - Division By Zero
  #456   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2005, 10:26 AM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel

For everyone suggesting that you need special glasses to see the field or parts thereof, that will not happen. Too long has 'make for tv' been driving the design.

Wetzel
  #457   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2005, 10:29 AM
esse quam videri
AKA: with an "i"
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
KelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond repute

George Burns was also a comedian...

as for changing the field and not seeing it prior to play FIRST could do something like they did wil FLL and placing a part of the field in different places each time. This could tie in the human players like in '03 when they placed the boxes out the opposing alliences could place the boxes out for the other team... like the red alliance placeing something out for the blue.

Another thing is when they talk about between you and I the robots my need to pass things to their allience partners in order to score.
We convey many messages in the things that we write, but in many cases, especially with children, you don't want to end with "This is what you should think." You want to end with something that says, "Now, you think about it." To a child, and to an adult, too, what you discover by yourself, or what you think you discover by yourself, is what stays. -Norton Juster

~Live what you love~

Last edited by KelliV : 01-05-2005 at 10:33 AM.
  #458   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2005, 10:35 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Retired -- 2006
no team

Bill Gold has a reputation beyond reputeBill Gold has a reputation beyond reputeBill Gold has a reputation beyond reputeBill Gold has a reputation beyond reputeBill Gold has a reputation beyond reputeBill Gold has a reputation beyond reputeBill Gold has a reputation beyond reputeBill Gold has a reputation beyond reputeBill Gold has a reputation beyond reputeBill Gold has a reputation beyond reputeBill Gold has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetzel
For everyone suggesting that you need special glasses to see the field or parts thereof, that will not happen. Too long has 'make for tv' been driving the design.

Wetzel
I don't know, man... The more I read that hint the more I think there's something about that "...if you look closely..." that is a major hint towards the game. If not glasses, then maybe some sort of sensor like a banner sensor on steroids, or something? I mean, the past two year's we've had some sort of visual sensing being a "part" of the game (2003: retroreflective tape on HP bins, and 2004: IR sensing near the 10 point balls), I sure as heck wouldn't be surprised to see this stuff again, or this idea taken to the next level. Who knows, maybe we'll have to drive our robots "Mars Rover" style, looking at instruments (dashboard) and a camera. If it's good enough for Dave and Mars, then why the heck can't we do it in competition?

<edit>
Since when was 2002 or 2003 good for television or for audiences? Secondly, imho, autonomous mode wastes a lot of audience excitement, since only a handful of teams have actually consistently been able do tasks during that time.
</edit>

Last edited by Bill Gold : 01-05-2005 at 10:40 AM.
  #459   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2005, 10:43 AM
no team
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 1989
LordDumpling will become famous soon enough

I heard something about Flying Monkeys and a Giant Pit, but I suppose that doesn't go along with the clues, unless the pit is round and filled with purple jello, which would make that correct.

I base my knowledge on with the loads of jello FIRST has bought, with my credit card.

Why do I let those FIRST people use my credit card? Just cause I have an unlimited credit limit, and I really can afford it, doesn't make it right. I should write a check instead, or better yet cash. Cash is always better, remember that when fund raising.

Good luck teams with this years competition. I recommend you invest in a giant spoon and rubber suits.
  #460   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2005, 10:53 AM
falling can be fun
AKA: Heidi Foster
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

MissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetzel

Wetzel
One of my first thoughts for the game as far as lighting goes was black light since it has a purple (amethyst) glow (and if the field was practically unseeable due to this, and there were 3 alliances or 3 robots per alliance you could throw in 3 blind mice in keeping with the 3 theme but that's completely random and besides the point), however I didn't think of it seriously, not because of TV but because of the spectators in the audience. I think the field will remain largely visible, because having an exciting game can hook possible sponsors and additional volunteers and if the field cannot be seen this may not happen.

Heidi
  #461   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2005, 10:59 AM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDumpling
I heard something about Flying Monkeys and a Giant Pit, but I suppose that doesn't go along with the clues, unless the pit is round and filled with purple jello, which would make that correct.
I base my knowledge on with the loads of jello FIRST has bought, with my credit card.
Why do I let those FIRST people use my credit card? Just cause I have an unlimited credit limit, and I really can afford it, doesn't make it right. I should write a check instead, or better yet cash. Cash is always better, remember that when fund raising.
Good luck teams with this years competition. I recommend you invest in a giant spoon and rubber suits.
Finally... Someone (in their FIRST post here on Chiefdelphi) didn't repeat something that was already said in the last ~460 posts. I applaude you, and welcome you to CD.

#462   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2005, 11:00 AM

Andrew is a name known to allAndrew is a name known to allAndrew is a name known to allAndrew is a name known to allAndrew is a name known to allAndrew is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery
Just try looking at it from a different viewpoint - like that of the folks at FIRST. They have to get everything ready for the kick-off, finish packing the kits, ship out all the materials to the remote kick-off sites, complete the game design, publish the documentation, send out the field drawings, complete all the corporate agreements, confirm registration of all the teams, proofread the game rules for the 1435th time, purchase JVN's birthstone, coordinate the satellie connection for the broadcast, procure all the spare parts that will be needed, prepare to handle the inevitable questions from teams, and about 750 other things. From their standpoint, Kick-off is a masive stress point. Ship date is a walk in the woods in comparison.

(just a gentle reminder not to limit yourself to just one viewpoint - every problem can and should be examined from different angles)

-dave
Did anyone pick up on this clue?
  #463   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2005, 11:05 AM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Did anyone pick up on this clue?
Yes, It's Amethyst.. Been there, done that..

Try reading the whole thread before you post.. Or at least searching.

#464   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Queen City Planning Committee
FRC #0144 (ROCK Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Dave Campbell has a brilliant futureDave Campbell has a brilliant futureDave Campbell has a brilliant futureDave Campbell has a brilliant futureDave Campbell has a brilliant futureDave Campbell has a brilliant futureDave Campbell has a brilliant futureDave Campbell has a brilliant futureDave Campbell has a brilliant futureDave Campbell has a brilliant futureDave Campbell has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgin Clock
Finally... Someone (in their FIRST post here on Chiefdelphi) didn't repeat something that was already said in the last ~460 posts. I applaude you, and welcome you to CD.
Elgin,
Are we in the presence of Dean? Is LordDumpling really who he registered as? Team 1038 will just use the rubber from the walls of our rooms they keep us locked in. For the giant spoons, we'll just use the ones we eat all of our PI filling with...can't wait to see the real game Saturday

FRC Team #144 Advisor
  #465   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2005, 11:28 AM
esse quam videri
AKA: with an "i"
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
KelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond repute

OK so i have been thinking (scary I know) and I am going to apologize early for the harry potter refrence but... Pi never ends right? So maybe there isnt a time of 3 minutes like there has been every year... what if like in Harry Potter's quidditch(sp?) game a task HAD to be completed before the game could end like catching the golden snitch(sp?)?
We convey many messages in the things that we write, but in many cases, especially with children, you don't want to end with "This is what you should think." You want to end with something that says, "Now, you think about it." To a child, and to an adult, too, what you discover by yourself, or what you think you discover by yourself, is what stays. -Norton Juster

~Live what you love~
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: