Go to Post Defense will be everybody's part time job, not their career. - Wayne TenBrink [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Unsung FIRST Heroes
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2006, 09:55 AM
FRC #0047 (Chief Delphi)

CD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond repute
UFH: Ellery Wong

Thread created automatically to discuss UFH Honoree: Ellery Wong.

Name: Ellery Wong
Date Honored: 03-31-2006
Years involved w/FIRST: 7
FIRST Team(s): Xerox Corporation &, Joseph C. Wilson Magnet High School (0191)
Role: Engineer, Leadership
Quote: “Fear not your friends; for they can only lie to you; Fear not your enemies; for they can only kill you; Fear only the indifferent who allow the liars and killers to walk safely on earth.”
Bio: Ellery Wong is Team #191's do-it-all mentor from the Rochester, NY area. Described as 'living and breathing FIRST', Ellery has helped the X-Cats reach hew heights in his last 7 years as a mentor. Ellery described his complicated team role for us: "I have been involved since 1999 when I first started working at Xerox. I started on the team as one of the youngest mechanical sub-team mentor on the team and was later nominated to join the leadership team at the end of my first FIRST season. My responsibilities as one of the 6 X-CATS team leaders has included design direction, drives sub-team leader, facilities, team finances, fundraising, off-season seminars, and community involvement. Basically I have be called the “Go to guy” for a lot of reasons involving the program here in Rochester. I have extended my work to the Finger Lakes Regional team development and Rochester Ruckus planning committees as well. FIRST has been so ingrained in me since my initial year that I went ahead to start teams 1126 SparX and1450 X-Q Robotix and continue to link in 1425 Wilsonville Robotics to extend the XEROX FIRST Program."

Ellery also had a very touching FIRST memory to share with us. "My favorite FIRST memory was when I had a couple of my students ask me to be their big brother the very first year I was involved. Being the youngest in my family I had always wanted to have a younger brother or sister and this was a dream fulfilled. Ever since then I had always tried to keep in touch with as many students as possible to satisfy my role as a big brother, mentor and friend by keeping them eternally in my life."

When asked about his accomplishments in FIRST, Ellery gave us an impressive list. "In addition to 1126 and 1450 as mentioned earlier, I helped start about 8 rookie teams in 2005, was nominated for Woodie Flowers Award in 2005, and fulfilled my personal team goal of winning at least 1 robot competition since our team has never won a Regional prior to 2005 in the first 13 years of existence. I just had to break that “drought” to give the team the proper skills and a little boost in morale. Winning that at the inaugural Finger Lakes Regional that we hosted made it even sweeter."

Ellery also had a great description of FIRST to share: "FIRST is professional training, community service, a growing family, and an enriching life experience rolled up into one. It has the effect like an energy drink you can chug like a soda!"

Lastly, we asked Ellery to give some advice to his fellow FIRST peers. "My advice to FIRST-ers is to contribute to your hearts content while maintaining a balance in your life. Don’t burn yourself out so you can continue to contribute for generations to come and grow your legacy in your FIRST family tree. Like any program such as FIRST, participate with a passion and excitement so that all who you come in contact will gain and share the same."

Congratulations to Ellery Wong, our next Unsung FIRST Hero.

Nominated By: Koko Ed

Last edited by Brandon Martus : 11-12-2013 at 07:58 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2002
Amanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UFH: Ellery Wong

Congratulations to Ellery Wong, our next Unsung FIRST Hero.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Lets do this....
FRC #2848 (All-sparks)
Team Role: Engineer

Greg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Needel Send a message via Skype™ to Greg Needel

I have known Ellery for a long while now and not only is he a great robot builder he also builds lives. The time and effort he puts into the program for the kids is unparalleled in my opinion. If you really want to see the good that this xcat has done all you have to do is look on any of the current or past student's faces; that light in their eyes is proof that he and team 191 are doing very well.

To a very deserving friend of mine, congratulations Ellery!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2006, 01:26 PM
AKA: Rees
FRC #0340 (Greater Rochester Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2000
rees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Ellery, you are hands down one of the most dedicated & best FIRSTers I know. You are very deserving of this & more. When I thought about a list of people I would want for my all-star mentoring team. Your name was the first one I came up with.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2006, 04:57 PM
no team

tiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tiffany34990

Congradulations! This is a great honor and truly belongs to people like you. Thank you for all you do!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Improving the Technology World
AKA: Dan Schneiderman
FRC #3157
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2006
Hiteak has a reputation beyond reputeHiteak has a reputation beyond reputeHiteak has a reputation beyond reputeHiteak has a reputation beyond reputeHiteak has a reputation beyond reputeHiteak has a reputation beyond reputeHiteak has a reputation beyond reputeHiteak has a reputation beyond reputeHiteak has a reputation beyond reputeHiteak has a reputation beyond reputeHiteak has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Hiteak

Congratulations Ellery, you really deserve this honor. Youreally helped me and my team out this year. I dont know where we would be without helping us start off at the begining of the team formation.

Working towards improving technology policy

Student: Team 1930, 2005-2008
Mentor: Team 2999, 2009
Ruckus: 2006 -2010
Volunteer:
NJR: 2008
FLR: 2009, 2010
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2006, 07:17 AM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)
Team Role: Mentor

Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Ellery is the glue that holds the X-Cats together. He practically lives at the site constantly maintaining it. He's the one who helps contact the teams in the area when they need help and he is the one who takes the lead on the off season projects. The team would be in disastrous shape without him.
Congrats Ellery.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2006, 11:29 AM
FRC #0148

Jay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Ellery! Not only do you affect those you mentor first hand, but also anyone that meets you. Just talking to you at FLR '05, Ruckus, and FLR'06 has had a profound impact on my life. It has been an honor to know you as well as compete against you in the past and I know that you will continue to be an inspiration to me and others in the future.
Alumnus - Theta Tau, Mu Gamma Chapter
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2006, 12:31 PM
KathieK's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Sometimes FIRST makes my head hurt!
AKA: FIRST Senior Mentor
no team

KathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KathieK

Congratulations, Ellery! Your wonderful advice is going up on the wall at work (which is getting filled with great advice to live by, from fellow FIRSTers). Thank you for sharing your passion with all of us!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Since 2001.
FRC #0078

Rookie Year: 2001
Tim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Ellery. You deserve this completely.
2010 - 2011: FRC Team 3280 - Rhode Rebels
2001 - 2009: FRC Team 229 - Division By Zero
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2006, 01:48 PM
www.TwoPencilDesigns.com
AKA: Grizz, Twinkletoes, PitBull1126
FRC #1405

Rookie Year: 2003
Alex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alex Cormier

Awww it's Ellery! aka. Muscles. Good Job and we shall see ya down in ATL!

Two Pencil Designs - Vinyl Graphics, Bumper Numbers, and Strategy Items!
Like us on Facebook & follow us on Twitter
Facebook.com/TwoPencilDesigns & TwoPencilDesign
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2006, 06:38 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, Ellery.
Your dedication to the teams of Rochester shows. When Greg and Ed can speak highly of you, you know you are doing something right. Keep up the good work!
www.wildstang.org
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2006, 07:42 AM
Life's Good
AKA: Kate Leipold
FRC #0340 (Greater Rochester Robotics)

Rookie Year: 1997
rachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to rachakate Send a message via Yahoo to rachakate

Yay! Ellery! Ellery's such a dedicated person. I'm so happy to see him now "Sung".
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2006, 08:59 AM
New Yorker turned Texan
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Teacher

Adrienne E. has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienne E. has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienne E. has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienne E. has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienne E. has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienne E. has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienne E. has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienne E. has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienne E. has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienne E. has a reputation beyond reputeAdrienne E. has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Ellery! I can't believe it was almost 8 years ago that we were rookies on 191 together. You've been a complete inspiration and amazing mentor in my life. When I think about all the people that helped me stay on track and become the person I am today you are one of the few on the very top, and I know I'm not the only person that can say that about you. I am so happy you are being recognized! See you in Atlanta
148 2009-Present
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2006, 02:56 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

When I first submitted Ellery to be the UFH I had no idea that his lovely wife Rebecca (pictured next to him. They were married last summer. You should all congratualte them for that as well) would be our Woodie Flowers nominie this year(Ellery was our nominee last year). Now I wish I would have waited so maybe I could submit husband and wife to be the UFH (every FIRST couple should have his and her Woodie Flower awards )

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: