OCCRA
Go to Post I'm looking foward to the challenge! - Adrienne E. [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2006, 06:40 PM
,':-)
AKA: C. Carey
FRC #0306 (CRT)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
Cody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cody Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Cody Carey
Why do we think we are better?

Well, as time goes by, I hear more and more about how FIRSTers are more morally upright than everyone else.

We aren't.

We are just like everyone else, and we should stop thinking we are better. Lets face it: Non FIRSTers don't look to FIRST as their moral role model. As much as we try to follow Gracious professionalism as a rule, Not all of us do and we are by no means a perfect community. We are just as biased or "corrupted" as the people around us. Acting like we are to be looked up to is wrong because we are just people.

I'll be the first to admit that I am not the perfect example of gracious professionalism, even though I try to be... and I think it's time for us as a community to stop pretending that we are to be looked up to, as though we do no wrong.

For every apparently gracious professional FIRSTER that visits CD, there are a lot more people who have no Idea about Gracious professionalism that don't Visit it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are no perfect communities, and I think that we should stop saying that we are, We should instead accept the fact that we are flawed and just try to fix it.

Until we can prove that we are perfectly gracious and professional, we should stop saying that we are better than our peers.

I'm not bashing GP at all, I just won't pretend to be something that I'm not, and I definitely won't correct someone else's problems until I have fixed all of my own.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Go VOLS!!
AKA: Budda648
no team (QC Elite)

Rookie Year: 2002
Jeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJeremiah Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jeremiah Johnson Send a message via MSN to Jeremiah Johnson
Re: Why do we think we are better?

I agree whole heartedly. Not enough people know about GP to know that the people that practice it can be looked up upon.

XBOX Live Gamertag = theVelvetLie
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2006, 06:47 PM
Hacker Hick
AKA: Jamie (2.0) Moran
FRC #0599 (Robodox)
Team Role: Engineer

Redneck is just really niceRedneck is just really niceRedneck is just really niceRedneck is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Redneck

Why do FIRSTers think we're better?
To paraphrase The Hacker Manifesto, "because we judge people by what they say and think, not what they look like."

To put it another way, it's because we hold values like honesty, integrity, and intelligence dear, while so many others only care about looks, clothes, cars, etc.

Or at least that's the vibe I've always gotten. Maybe I'm just cynical.

Which badges can you claim?
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)
Team Role: Mentor

Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

If we do not stand for the principals of GP then what exactly do we stand for?
We are trying to change the culture. To seek "business as usual" makes no sense when you see the insanity that plauge most other competitive sports (which has been taking a severe black eye recently with the doping allegations on all leveles). At the very least would you try?
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2006, 07:01 PM
FRC #0306 (CRT)

Cody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond repute

We have no right to tell others what they are doing wrong when we do so much ourselves that is un-Graciously professional.

and Kokoed, we stand FOR the INSPIRATION and RECOGNITION of SCIENCE and TECHNOLOGY.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2006, 07:06 PM
misses FIRST
AKA: HOT's first female operator
FRC #0067 (HOT- Heroes of Tomorrow)

Rookie Year: 1998
anna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to anna~marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody C

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are no perfect communities, and I think that we should stop saying that we are, We should instead accept the fact that we are flawed and just try to fix it.
I don't know if I'm missing something here, Cody, but when and where did a FIRSTer ever say that we have a perfect community and that we are not flawed? Where was this ever implied? I don't see it.
By being in FIRST aren't we recongizing that our world is flawed and trying to make a difference about it?

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We have no right to tell others what they are doing wrong when we do so much ourselves that is un-Graciously professional.

and Kokoed, we stand FOR the INSPIRATION and RECOGNITION of SCIENCE and TECHNOLOGY.
Well I'll tell you what.
I don't know how you do things on your team we TRY to teach our kids to respect the rules of FIRST, the rules of society, and the rules of the team because that is how we do things.
We are not always successful. We had kids and nentors who were rude and disrespectful. We had kids and mentors who had broke rules.
We also have a code of conduct that holds them accountable for their actions because we care how we are perceived and how FIRST and perceived in the general community and in the FIRST community!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2006, 07:09 PM
FRC #0306 (CRT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna~marie
I don't know if I'm missing something here, Cody, but when and where did a FIRSTer ever say that we have a perfect community and that we are not flawed? Where was this ever implied? I don't see it.
By being in FIRST aren't we recongizing that our world is flawed and trying to make a difference about it?
Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck
To put it another way, it's because we hold values like honesty, integrity, and intelligence dear, while so many others only care about looks, clothes, cars, etc.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2006, 07:14 PM
1902 UCF Mentor; 1523 MARS Alumni
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)

Rookie Year: 2005
Tim Arnold has a reputation beyond reputeTim Arnold has a reputation beyond reputeTim Arnold has a reputation beyond reputeTim Arnold has a reputation beyond reputeTim Arnold has a reputation beyond reputeTim Arnold has a reputation beyond reputeTim Arnold has a reputation beyond reputeTim Arnold has a reputation beyond reputeTim Arnold has a reputation beyond reputeTim Arnold has a reputation beyond reputeTim Arnold has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tim Arnold Send a message via MSN to Tim Arnold

Someone here has quite a bit of testicular fortitude for bringing this up, and I think I agree with him...
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2006, 07:16 PM
dream. belive. accomplish.
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2006
Michelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond reputeMichelle Celio has a reputation beyond repute

I really think this is an unfair thread. Not every one in FIRST thinks that we're better than non-FIRSTers. I know some non-FIRSTers that are so respectful to people, and when I talk to them, it's like we're on the same level GP wise. I will never think a FIRSTer is superior to a non-FIRSTer and visa versa. We are all people, all EQUALS. Just because someone has a more respectful manner doesn't mean their better. Yeah, there are some people who go around saying that FIRST is better, but compare that to the amount of individuals who don't. Cody, not to be mean or anything but you basically just stereotyped everyone in FIRST, and as someone who doesn't think that people in FIRST are better than non-FIRSTers and visa versa, I'm slightly offended. Yes I understand you're on my side (I think?) but to say that everyone else isn't isn't right.
JRW <3
Volunteering: IRI - Reset 07/08, Mission Mayhem 07 - Referee
TnT - Referee 07/08, FLL Florida State Tournament - Judge 08/09
Florida Regional 08 - Reset/Repair, Florida Regional 09/10 - Photographer
8 Events - Web Evaluator 08/09/10

Last edited by Michelle Celio : 08-13-2006 at 07:20 PM. Reason: the english lang. hates me
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2006, 07:17 PM
AKA: Ari
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Arefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Arefin Bari Send a message via AIM to Arefin Bari Send a message via MSN to Arefin Bari Send a message via Yahoo to Arefin Bari

Quote:
Hmm... when did I ever say that we were better than any other community or any normal people? I don't even remember of telling any other community that they are doing this/that wrong. I don't think I have ever discussed that with someone.

Cody, I will agree with you where you said not all of us are perfect or not all of us practice gracious professionalism. No one is perfect, you can't expect anyone to be either.

Quote:
I would like you to point out where we said "we are perfect," so we can aplogize to whoever we said that to.

Quote:
I'm not bashing GP at all, I just won't pretend to be something that I'm not, and I definitely won't correct someone else's problems until I have fixed all of my own.
We don't want you to pretend somebody you are not either. Again Cody, please show us where we went and corrected someone and gave wrong advice.

Quote:
Well, as time goes by, I hear more and more about how FIRSTers are more morally upright than everyone else.
I don't hear any of these that you are trying to point out, I spend all my extra time on FIRST events in South Florida or building prototypes. You know usually when I meet someone new and they ask me what I do for fun, I say, I build robots. In response I hear them tell me "wow, that's cool." I don't go ahead and tell them, "Ya, man, I build robots, you are definitely nowhere near my standards," moreover I ask them to come watch a competition or come join us on the team so he/she can enjoy the time just like we all do.

What am I trying to say Cody? I don't understand the purpose of you bringing up this topic without any proof or actions that has been taken beforehand which might have put down others. So, please point us to the right directions and tell us the reason for brining up this topic. Thank you.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck
Cody, do you not agree with what this person has to say? Do you not have values that are honest?

I will come out and tell the truth. Even though I am a FIRSTer I care about clothing (yes I have closet full of FIRST shirts), but I do have other clothing that I care for (just incase you doubt, ask Nehalita on this forum), I care about my cars and dream about them. So what? I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

Last edited by Arefin Bari : 08-13-2006 at 08:08 PM.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2006, 07:20 PM
FRC #0306 (CRT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Celio
I really think this is an unfair thread. Not every one in FIRST thinks that we're better than non-FIRSTers. I know some non-FIRSTers that are so respectful to people, and when I talk to them, it's like we're on the same level GP wise. I will never think a FIRSTer is superior to a non-FIRSTer and visa versa. We are all people, all EQUALS. Just because someone has a more respectful manner doesn't mean their better. Yeah, there are some people who go around saying that FIRST is better, but compare that to the amount of individuals who don't. Cody, not to be mean or anything but you basically just stereotyped everyone in FIRST, and as someone who doesn't think that people in FIRST are better than non-FIRSTers and visa versa, I'm slightly offended. Yes I understand you're on my side (I think?) but to say that everyone else isn't right.
The overall feeling I get from this community is as I said, and I don't have the time or disrespect to name names. If you'll notice, the original thread includes me in the community of FIRST, along with everyone else who has been "wrongly stereotyped". The same goes for that which Arefin posted.

Last edited by Cody Carey : 08-13-2006 at 07:24 PM.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2006, 07:23 PM
misses FIRST

anna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond reputeanna~marie has a reputation beyond repute

I more or less take offense to a generalization... I'm not perfect, nor do I claim to be. And I sure don't think I'm better than anyone, including NonFIRSTers....
I see what you are saying that some people have an issue, but I'm with Arefin on this one

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2006, 07:27 PM
FRC #0306 (CRT)

Um, please don't take offense if you have been wrongly grouped.

Before I posted this, I had a bunch of my friends that read some of the posts that have been happening, and that I am writing about, and they got the same feeling that I did.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2006, 07:28 PM
misses FIRST

Quote:
Um, please don't take offense if you have been wrongly grouped.

Before I posted this, I had a bunch of my friends that read some of the posts that have been happening, and that I am writing about, and they got the same feeling that I did.

Wrongly grouped? I AM a member of FIRST... you are referring to FIRSTers...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: