OCCRA
Go to Post I urge them to build the kitbot and repeateadly smash it into a concrete wall in order to sate their anger. It will soon wane when they manage to do more damage to the wall than to the kitbot. That is honestly the reason that we ended up using the kitframe this year. - Andrew Blair [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Forward.
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Jessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond repute
Correct use of FIRST terms - use them, love them!

In the slew of great letters sent to officials on the FIRST forums was a note from John Marichony, Chief Marketing Officer at FIRST. It can be viewed in its entirety here: http://forums.usfirst.org/showthread.php?t=2359

There are some things in here to remember as you start to craft your team's message in 2007:
Quote:
Greetings,
Response to the homework assignment has been phenomenal. In a very few instances, names of FIRST programs have not been used exactly as they are intended. Here are FIRST's preferred, recommended, and requested ways to refer to our programs:

The organization is FIRST, For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology, often referred to as FIRST, or FIRST (without italics). We try always to use italics. You are not "required" to do so.

FIRST's original program is called the FIRST Robotics Competition. We do not refer to it or the organization as "FIRST Robotics." In writing, we will provide the full name, then the acronym, and then refer to the program later in the copy as "FRC." Example: FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC).

Next, FIRST created the FIRST LEGO League (FLL), which we NEVER EVER refer to as "LEGO League." Also, just FYI, when you have two LEGO bricks, you say "I have two LEGO," not "I have two LEGOs."

Most recently, we created the FIRST Vex Challenge (FVC). We NEVER EVER refer to the program as "Vex." We do say that participants in the program us the "Vex Robotic Design System."

Hope that helps. Thanks for all your fabulous work and contributions.

John
So, as you write and speak about all the great things you are doing this season - don't forget to use correct terminology! The more consistent the message, the clearer it will stick in the heads of those we wish to help us grow the program.

JAB
Advisor, NE FIRST
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2007, 05:46 PM
They're trusting ME with a Kickoff?
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #7016/7017 (Garnet Squadron Alfa/Bravo)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Correct use of FIRST terms - use them, love them!

Thank you for posting this--it really does get irritating when folks completely butcher it, especially in writing.

(Can this get a sticky, by chance?)
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV USC Kickoff (51,610.5 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2007, 06:28 PM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Rookie Year: 2001
Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

Quote:
Also, just FYI, when you have two LEGO bricks, you say "I have two LEGO," not "I have two LEGOs."
Another common plural of LEGO, which has been accepted by the LEGO users community would be "I have two LEGO bricks".
(If you really want to make yourself sound plural or have OCD and NEED to have an S present somewhere.)

Just thought I would throw that out there from one LEGO Maniac and FRC member to others of the FIRST and LEGO community.

Isn't the English language and the new rules it makes every day fun?

Great post Jess, everyone in any aspect of FIRST should read this!!
*Note for The Game Manual writers of '08 - Add this to it!

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2007, 12:00 AM
- RoboTicks 408 -
AKA: Eric Erzah
FRC #0408 (RoboTicks)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2007
Chaosrxn is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Chaosrxn Send a message via MSN to Chaosrxn

awesome.

"We're wastin' tyime!!"
"Becose, we gotta poot it... YIN THE CAR!!"
"Ok?"

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2007, 12:24 PM
KathieK's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Sometimes FIRST makes my head hurt!
AKA: FIRST Senior Mentor
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
KathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KathieK

And with many teams now considering a trip to Atlanta, may I point out that it is NOT "The Nationals"? It hasn't been for many years. It is an international event and is comprised of:
The FIRST Robotics Competition Championship Event
The FIRST Vex Challenge World Championships
The FIRST LEGO League World Festival
and
The FIRST Robotics Conference (which encompasses all programs).
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2007, 03:23 AM
Your Friendly Neighborhood Geek
AKA: Nicholas Corgan
FRC #1351 (Mitty Robotics)
Team Role: Webmaster

Rookie Year: 2006
Romeo1351 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Romeo1351 Send a message via Yahoo to Romeo1351 Send a message via Skype™ to Romeo1351

And more recently, the FIRST Vex Challenge has been renamed to the FIRST Tech Challenge.

Currently: Website Head, Programmer
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-30-2007, 11:58 PM
That kid with the TIG welder
AKA: Matt, or to those in the northeast, THE BOBCAT!!!
FRC #1699 (ROBOCATS)
Team Role: Leadership

cobrawanabe1699 is a jewel in the roughcobrawanabe1699 is a jewel in the roughcobrawanabe1699 is a jewel in the rough

Don't forget "Gracious Professionalism"
FLL Bash @ The Beach 2007 Regional Competition
FLL State Championship, CCSU 2007
FLL Bash @ The Beach 2008 Regional Competition
ATTENDING IN 2009:
FIRST Kickoff in NH
FIRST Regional Competition: Washington DC
FIRST World Championships: Atlanta, Georgia

"If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is."
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-01-2007, 08:16 AM
no team

KathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond repute

well, since the thread has been resurrected...let me add..

It's not the "Vex program". Vex is the common name used for the robotics design platform. "FIRST Tech Challenge" is the name for the FIRST program.

FIRST Tech Challenge (or FTC) has 4 levels of tournaments - Local or League Tournaments; Qualifying Tournaments which allow winning teams to compete in their nearest Championship Tournament. A Championship Tournament is akin to the FRC Regionals. And the FIRST Tech Challenge World Championships.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Superpower: Knows Everyone
AKA: Sara Reffler
FRC #1089 (Team Mercury)

Rookie Year: 1999
BandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BandChick Send a message via Skype™ to BandChick

Along that same line, please remember that the term FIRST encompasses ALL programs (FRC, FTC, and FLL). Since FRC was the first FIRST program, a lot of folks have a tendency to call FRC FIRST. They are NOT equal.

Get your 2014 Championship userbars here!

1089 Mentor | 2014 MAR Championship Finalists
2014 Bridgewater District Finalists, 2014 Excellence in Engineering Award, 2014 Xerox Creativity Award

2013 Lenape District Finalists | 2009, 2011, 2013 KCP&B Entrepreneurship Award Winners | 2012 Gracious Professionalism Award Winners
2011 NJ Regional Finalists | 2009 NJ Regional Chairman's Award Winners

"Success in life is a matter not so much of talent or opportunity as of concentration and perseverance." C.W. Wendte
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-02-2007, 11:30 AM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandChick View Post
Along that same line, please remember that the term FIRST encompasses ALL programs (FRC, FTC, and FLL). Since FRC was the first FIRST program, a lot of folks have a tendency to call FRC FIRST. They are NOT equal.
And let's not forget JFLL!
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Cooley744
AKA: Lauren
FRC #0744 (Shark Attack)

Cooley744 is a splendid one to beholdCooley744 is a splendid one to beholdCooley744 is a splendid one to beholdCooley744 is a splendid one to beholdCooley744 is a splendid one to beholdCooley744 is a splendid one to beholdCooley744 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Cooley744

I really didn't know it mattered.
Colossians 3:23

Proud graduate and now lead strategy mentor and driving coach for 744 Shark Attack.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #3694 (Warbotz)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooley744 View Post
I really didn't know it mattered.
How you present yourself always matters, especially in writing.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. "
- Tennyson, Ulysses
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Gary Dillard's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Generator of Entropy
AKA: you know, the old bald guy
FRC #2973 (The Mad Rockers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Gary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Gary Dillard

I just noticed this on the FIRST website:

At the very bottom of each page it says
(c) US FIRST (Foundation for the Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology).

although just above that it says
FIRST: For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology

Has anyone seen the Foundation nomenclature before? I don't recall hearing that anywhere.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-03-2008, 11:09 AM
They're trusting ME with a Kickoff?
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #7016/7017 (Garnet Squadron Alfa/Bravo)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dillard View Post

(c) US FIRST (Foundation for the Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology).

Has anyone seen the Foundation nomenclature before? I don't recall hearing that anywhere.
I found it on the liability forms in the first paragraph, emphasis mine:

Quote:
This is a Consent and Release of Rights in favor of the United States Foundation For the Inspiration and Recognition of Science and
Technology
, and its officers, directors, employees, and assigns (“FIRST”), as well as entities designated and approved to assist FIRST in
managing, contracting, sponsoring, hosting, conducting, evaluating or publicizing (including individuals and entities working with FIRST in
print, publication, television, broadcast or video media) FIRST’s programs (“FIRST’s Cooperating Entities”) including any and all FIRST
Place, the FIRST LEGO® League (“FLL”), Junior FIRST LEGO League (“JFLL”) FIRST Tech Challenge (“FTC”), and FIRST Robotics
Competition (“FRC”) Events (the “FIRST Events”). As used below, “Participant” shall mean any individual, student, mentor, teacher, or
volunteer involved in a FIRST event. In consideration of the acceptance of my participation in one or more FIRST Events, I agree to the
following:
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV USC Kickoff (51,610.5 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Former Lord of the Vex
AKA: George Marchant
FRC #0087 (Red Devils)

Rookie Year: 2000
GeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeTheEng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dillard View Post

I beleive the foundation nomenclature is from the original incorporation documents or the initial IRS 501.c.3 application. That would be FIRST's legal name. The other is the more common name they us and what is the mark they are protecting. It's similar to FedEx (Federal Express Corporation) or UPS (United Parcel Service). It's my understanding that changing that legal name is not easy.
Philadelphia Alliance Regional Corporate Advisory Board Member |
FRC and FTC volunteer at too many places to list (NJ, VA, DE, PA, NY, Championship)|

"Hi my name is George and I'm a FIRST-aholic. I've been a FIRST-aholic since 2000..."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: