OCCRA
Go to Post Welcome to ChiefDelphi.com. Get ready for the craziness. - Andy Baker [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Old Forum Archives > 1999
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-23-2002, 10:18 PM
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

archiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond repute
Field of dreams...

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 8/7/99 7:26 PM MST

Not to be speading rumors or anything, but I would like some feedback from teams out there.

At this point this is all just some wild discussions going on around the coffee machine. But still, we would like to know what people are thinking.

Suppose some folks were crazy enough to host a 'FIRST in one week' type competition around Thankgiving time (plus or minus a couple weeks) in the Detroit Metro Area.

Suppose further that these same folks were also crazy enough to invite all FIRST teams to participate if they wished (in addition some 20 or so local highschools that currently don't have FIRST teams).

How many of you folks out there in the online FIRST community would make the trek to Detroit to pariticipate?

For the sake of this discussion let's suppose that there was a $200 registation fee and 'FIRST in one week' is defined as:

1) Radio controlled machines (but with fixed, standardized, non-programmable controller stations, transmitters, and receivers -- image the controllers from 95-96 with a standardized driver station with say 2 joysticks on the right and a bank of switches on the left -- what motors turned on on the robot side depended on which motors were wired to which outputs)

2) 2'X2'X2' Robots

3) 'Bolt together', no precision machining construction (Welding: NO! Dremels, drill presses, bandsaws, files, etc.: YES! Lathe, Mills, Wire EDM machines, etc.: NO)

4) Enough stuff in the kit to make functioning machines given the above (6-8 motors with a number of modular power trasmission devices, perhaps a some appropriate pneumatic devices)

5) Web-based kickoff 10 days prior to competition

6) Web-based discussion forum for discussion/rules clarifications

7) Kit arrives 7 days before competition -- 1 week to design/build/test your robot

8) Competition 1 day event (Saturday from dawn to dusk essential)

So...

If we build it, how many teams will come??? Are you in?

Joe J.

P.S. If we had so many teams that we had to stretch it to a Friday-Saturday event, would that change your answer?

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

archiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Field of dreams...

Posted by Kate.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Mass Academy of Math and Science and Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

Posted on 8/8/99 10:26 PM MST

In Reply to: Field of dreams... posted by Joe Johnson on 8/7/99 7:26 PM MST:

If you make this happen, I'll be there.. I don't know about the rest of my team.. But I'd certainly come.. You could leave it open to teams.. And you could also have something along the lines of a pick-up team.. Any random FIRSTer could be on a team with others that didn't come with a team at all.. I really like the idea of this whole thing.. Stressful?? Sure.. But that's FIRST for ya.. And if you didn't do the pick-up team thing.. Then find me a team to become part of for the week.. I'm there..

-KATE-
Eat, Sleep, Dream FIRST.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by Bill Beatty.

Other on team #71, Team Hammond, from Team Hammond.

Posted on 8/11/99 8:50 AM MST

In Reply to: Field of dreams... posted by Joe Johnson on 8/7/99 7:26 PM MST:

Joe

I like it. Seven days, though. Pretty tough. I am afraid you will have a lot of unfinished machines. First robot moving, wins?
Bill Beatty

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by Daniel.

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M Gunn Senior High School and NASA Ames.

Posted on 8/11/99 10:55 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: Field of dreams... posted by Bill Beatty on 8/11/99 8:50 AM MST:

People always rise to the occasion. They'll finish and they'll be impressive. Somehow...

Unfortunately the people are gonna smell pretty bad -- and I mean nasty. No showers for a week can do that ;-)

-Daniel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: