OCCRA
Go to Post In my opinion, leaders do not need to be picked. They naturally emerge as time goes on and as more opportunities are presented to them. - Alex Golec [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Old Forum Archives > 1999
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-23-2002, 10:20 PM
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

archiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond repute
E-mail Address

Posted by colleen.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Other on team Actually, I'm a FIRST-aholic from an undecided team for the year 2000 formerly of Team #126 sponsored by Nypro and Clinton High School.

Posted on 8/17/99 10:25 AM MST

In Reply to: Bill Nye: The Science Guy!!!! posted by Jon on 8/16/99 7:57 PM MST:

if you go to Disney's site on Bill Nye (http://disney.go.com/DisneyTelevision/BillNye/) there's a link to Email that seems to be just general to him, not that question of the week thing.
Maybe someone could give that a whirl.. this would seem like a cool person, especially since it's already an affliation with Disney- maybe they would do some promotion for FIRST through Bill Nye or something..

ideas, ideas, ideas.. they never stop coming!

#17   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

archiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond repute
or maybe...

Posted by Brandon Martus.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Other on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 8/17/99 1:48 PM MST

In Reply to: E-mail Address posted by colleen on 8/17/99 10:25 AM MST:

maybe there could be an award sponsored by him
The 'Bill Nye ((enter award name here)) Award'
and he can say something about it (and FIRST) on his show.

who knows....ideas...

:
: if you go to Disney's site on Bill Nye (http://disney.go.com/DisneyTelevision/BillNye/) there's a link to Email that seems to be just general to him, not that question of the week thing.
: Maybe someone could give that a whirl.. this would seem like a cool person, especially since it's already an affliation with Disney- maybe they would do some promotion for FIRST through Bill Nye or something..

: ideas, ideas, ideas.. they never stop coming!

#18   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Re: Spokesperson

Posted by mike aubry.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chiefs, from Pontiac Central.

Posted on 8/17/99 4:24 AM MST

In Reply to: FIRST Needs a Spokesperson posted by Andy Baker on 8/13/99 2:03 PM MST:

> So... who would you like to be our spokesperson?

I would like to see a 30 second collage, like at the end of the nationals be turned into a commercial
that is aired whenever a specific targetted audience would be watching. Link it up with a high tech science
movie (like Apollo 13) or a movie that the target audience is high school age movie goers, or a show
like 'science guy' Bill Nye. I wouldn't mind getting a big name as a spokesperson, but beware of ego's
at the FIRST leadership level. Remember that this whole concept continues to emphasize to kids that
the people they want to grow up and look up to, are not the stars of sports or movies! If that is to held true
then the picking of a spokesperson's field is narrowed considerably. I can't see someone from the political
arena being someone that kids will look up to, either. If this idea of FIRST is going to be shared, communicated,
or marketted, it most likely will require a grass roots effort. The key to this in my opinion, is not the 'Who' -
spokesperson role, but instead the 'How'! I vote for using the web as a primary means, followed up with
print and billboards! Their are lots of ways to catch the attention of people - the tradeoff is the cost.
Time on televised events can be very expensive, but their are other ways to do it. FIRST must do this regionally,
but should rely on a consortium of existing teams within the regional areas to help guide them by telling them
what school districts, and the best method to market to them. (newsprint, billboards, etc.) The consortium becomes
the big brother or regional alliance. I'm am positive, based on the PCHS / Delphi endeavors over the past 3 yrs, that
although it's somewhat healthy for us to say we brought a great number of teams to FIRST, that the task to do so
is time consuming at the least. Sorry, this is long - but I think you have an idea here worthy of some input! Thanks
for the opportunity.
Mike A.

#19   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

On the right track...

Posted by colleen.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Other on team Actually, I'm a FIRST-aholic from an undecided team for the year 2000 formerly of Team #126 sponsored by Nypro and Clinton High School.

Posted on 8/17/99 8:55 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: Spokesperson posted by mike aubry on 8/17/99 4:24 AM MST:

I agree, if you get caught up in the big name people, you get caught up in that materialized, TV world we're trying to steer America away from. (big company sponsorship i think is a different issue and doable)
I definitely like the regional idea though. Have team band together and see where there area lacks in teams and how to get more interested. On top of splitting costs and things, they can be helpful to one another (e.g. If one of the team's has a demo in there area, some of the other teams in that regional group could come and join them to make for a more interesting, rounded demo)

I think we should be the spokespeople for ourselves. After all, we are the ones who believe so firmly in it and want to spread the word. Regionalized advertisement is good, but I don't think it would hurt for FIRST to have a fast-paced commericial handy if, like you said, Apollo 13 or something science-related was airing and they could show it. I really think a FIRST commercial could be qualified as a Public Service Announcement, in which case I don't believe there is a cost.

I'm already thinking of commercial and advertising ideas..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: