OCCRA
Go to Post A bunch of kids in prom dresses staring through telescopes must have been quite a sight! - BlondeNerd [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Old Forum Archives > 2000
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-23-2002, 11:38 PM
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

archiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond repute
Pneumatic..Schematics..are bouncing everywhere

Posted by Erin.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Other on team #65, Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 12/11/2000 5:38 AM MST

I would like to approach the fluid power subject, once again.

First off- If there were parts in the kit for fluid power, would they be pneumatics or hydraulics (this is the correct spelling, folks!)? I would like to ask, since everyone seems to be confusing them.. I would be leaning towards pneumatics, which actually isn't a new thing to the kit... it just wasn't previously widely used... I suppose this year they are just putting more emphasis on it because not many teams have utilized this in the past.

On my trip to SMC in my senior year, I discovered many things. First, there are more types of DCV's than my mind could have ever possibly previously imagined- second, pneumatics is way better than hydraulics, when properly used. Yes, hydraulics normally push out more power, but I have seen systems where pneumatics did the trick- or at least made something more efficient.
But the real question is...how many people are going to USE pneumatics?
FIRST OFF...there are WHOLE new schematic symbols to learn. Yeah, the connections, air supplies, regulators, valves, and gages are easy enough...but then you get into cylinders (the rod and the cap, etc..), dcv's (2 way 3 pos, etc...), push button dcv's, lever dcv's, motors.. fluid power IS a whole new world (but I gotta say I love it or I wouldnt be remembering all of this stuff).
One other thing, students will have to learn to measure in NEW units. kPa, (Kilopascals), or psi (or possibly psig, if the need be).
So in summary:
Pros: new technology, a greater learning experience for the students, and fluid power in the form of pneumatics is actually a really fun hands-on discovery activity.
Cons: less power, confusion, a whole new ballgame that you can make mistakes in, 'where do i find this in the small parts catalog?'.

Ok, so how many of you think you'll use it?

Just some random thoughts.
-Erin

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: