OCCRA
Go to Post So now my family thinks I'm insane. - Amanda Morrison [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Old Forum Archives > 2001
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-24-2002, 03:21 AM
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

archiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond repute
Anybody heard from FIRST?

Posted by Wayne Cokeley at 05/25/2001 11:43 PM EST

Coach on team #25, Raider Robotix, from North Brunswick Twp. H.S. and Bristol-Myers Squibb.

I was just wondering if any of the other teams have heard from FIRST since the Nationals? We recently received a nice critique of our Chairman's Award submission but I was looking forward to offering feedback on this year's game. Isn't some sort of survey a tradition here?

Drop me a line if anybody has heard anything.

Still looking for a digital copy of the closing ceremony video from last year.....

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

archiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback

Posted by colleen - T190 at 05/26/2001 12:37 AM EST

College Student on team #190, Gompei and the HERD (or HERO ;-), from Mass Academy of Math and Science and WPI.

In Reply to: Anybody heard from FIRST?
Posted by Wayne Cokeley on 05/25/2001 11:43 PM EST:

As for surveys, I'm not sure-- but FIRST does hold an annual "Team Forum" for representatives from each team to come and discuss their issues on various things (rulebook setup, disney, the game itself, etc).. it usually happens later on in the summer and FIRST informs all team leaders as it's upcoming..

It's a great thing, and if you look at the notes from last year's forum, many suggested things were implemented (divisions, 4vs0, etc)..

FIRST does listen

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

FIRST Team Forum

Posted by John Larock at 05/29/2001 12:33 PM EST

Other on team #365, Miracle Workerz, from DuPont Engineering Explorer Post and DuPont .

In Reply to: Anybody heard from FIRST?
Posted by Wayne Cokeley on 05/25/2001 11:43 PM EST:

Wayne:

As Colleen recently mentioned, FIRST is holding their annual team forum to listen to feedback on this season. I just received an e-mail from FIRST about this. The forum is scheduled for August 1st. Whoever is the receiver of these notes for your team should have received the e-mail a few days ago.

Have a great summer!

-J-

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Kind-of interesting.......

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 05/29/2001 5:17 PM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

In Reply to: FIRST Team Forum
Posted by John Larock on 05/29/2001 12:33 PM EST:

...That its yet another 21 & over type event...makes me wonder how the college freshmen who started teams feel that they cant even go and represent a team they started.

We understood the Dean's house thing during Kickoff (because liquor was being served)...I would be inserting off-color comments here, but Im trying to be good.

Maybe we could get someone to collate all the underage feelings and act as a rep of the Chief Delphi forums?

Ive never been bitter about how I was too young to go into clubs, because it's never mattered. But this is something intelligent that people actually want to do...and if the Vietnam generation can justify that if one is old enough to die for his country he is old enough to vote than we can dually justify that if someone is old enough to choose to compromise their freshman year to start a team, then they are old enough to go represent it.

-Jessica B

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Re: Kind-of interesting.......

Posted by mike oleary at 05/29/2001 9:35 PM EST

Engineer on team #419, rambots, from bc high and...oh wait just bc high and hmmm...sponsors...thats a good idea.

In Reply to: Kind-of interesting.......
Posted by Jessica Boucher on 05/29/2001 5:17 PM EST:

sort of reminds me of a save ferris song you ever 'under 21'?
mike
'It sucks to be
Under 21'

: ...That its yet another 21 & over type event...makes me wonder how the college freshmen who started teams feel that they cant even go and represent a team they started.

: We understood the Dean's house thing during Kickoff (because liquor was being served)...I would be inserting off-color comments here, but Im trying to be good.

: Maybe we could get someone to collate all the underage feelings and act as a rep of the Chief Delphi forums?

: Ive never been bitter about how I was too young to go into clubs, because it's never mattered. But this is something intelligent that people actually want to do...and if the Vietnam generation can justify that if one is old enough to die for his country he is old enough to vote than we can dually justify that if someone is old enough to choose to compromise their freshman year to start a team, then they are old enough to go represent it.

: -Jessica B

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

FIRST and Being Under 21

Posted by Matt Leese at 05/29/2001 10:34 PM EST

College Student on team #73, Tigerbolt, from Edison Technical HS and Alstom & Fiber Technologies & RIT.

In Reply to: Kind-of interesting.......
Posted by Jessica Boucher on 05/29/2001 5:17 PM EST:

This is not nearly the first time I've run into the over 21 rule with FIRST. Officially to be at kickoff you had to be 21. Yes, this was a severe problem for my team given that we really didn't have anyone very committed to the team that was over 21 at the time of kickoff. I'm under the impression that we almost didn't receive our kit of parts because of that. I also got yelled at for trying to pickup arm bands at NJ and not being an "adult." This is the third time so I guess I'm sort of fed up. Basically, I don't see the point of this rule. Dean has been PUSHING for more college teams. FIRST already does not make it easy for there to be college teams merely from how the competition is set up, when it takes place, etc. But now, FIRST is actively working against college teams by making it harder for them to be run. No one else had a problem with people under the age of 21 running the team. Not RIT, not the high school, not the sponsor. The sponsor had a lot more riding on this than FIRST did; after all they donated tens of thousands of dollars. There is no logical reason for these arbitrary rules. They do nothing to help FIRST and only to hurt it. And now I can't even go to the team forum to complain about it! I really would like a good explanation from FIRST about this as I can't think of a good one.

Matt
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

anti-college team forum

Posted by Jon - T190 at 05/30/2001 6:31 PM EST

College Student on team #190, Gompei, from Mass Academy of Math and Science and Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

In Reply to: FIRST and Being Under 21
Posted by Matt Leese on 05/29/2001 10:34 PM EST:

matt, I made the mistake of trying to pickup the armbands in florida this year so i know exactly how you feel. on paper, i'm our advisors right hand assistant so you'd think that i'd be able to help out so he could stay with the rest of the team and fix the bot...

I'm going to try to go or at least prod our advisor to mention this at the forum. Advisors, please let FIRST know that college teams without steady over-21 advisorship or in flux are getting screwed here!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: