OCCRA
Go to Post And, learn to collaborate, 'cause it works. - DonRotolo [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Old Forum Archives > 2001
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-24-2002, 04:22 AM
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

archiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond repute
Funny thing about the clock

Posted by Chris Hibner at 05/30/2001 9:00 AM EST

Coach on team #308, Walled Lake Monster, from Walled Lake Schools and TRW Automotive Electronics.

I know that everyone is pretty familiar with the rules, but it is amazing how everyone forgets them during the heat of a match. What I mean is that it is amazing that so many people forget that there is no difference between stopping the clock at 0:56 and 0:35 (for example).

The reason I bring this up is because the only way to reset our robot into starting position is under its own power. If our arms are deployed at the end of a match, it is difficult to carry off the field and then we must tether it once we clear the playing field. Thus, if we were more than 12 seconds away from the next time multiplier once we reached the end zone, we would take the time to reset our robot to its starting position before hitting the power button. I'll never forget that every time we did this, all of the other teams would start screaming and yelling at us and I always had to go and calm them down and tell them what is going on.

The reason I bring this up is because I was watching the video from the Indiana Robotics Invitational last night, and we took the time to reset the robot during a match a couple of times. It was quite a sight to see the people in the stands jumping up and down and screaming (literally) "Hit the button! PLEEEASE HIT THE BUTTON!!!!!!", while waving their arms frantically. Then we hit the button, the announcer says "match stopped with 47 seconds remaining", and I can't help but laugh. Forty-seven seconds! What is the screaming about?

Anyway, every time I watch a video of a match when we do this, I literally laugh when I see the looks on everyone's face when we don't hit the button immediately. If I think about it, I'll post a video of this at some point. It's quite funny. No, really, it is.

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

archiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Funny thing about the clock

Posted by Wayne Doenges at 05/30/2001 9:50 AM EST

Engineer on team #535, G-Force, from Huntington North High School and UT Electronic Controls.

In Reply to: Funny thing about the clock
Posted by Chris Hibner on 05/30/2001 9:00 AM EST:

Tell me about it. I saw this at the Regionals and Nationals. Some poor limbo robot would get stranded because everyone would hit the buttons. Than you look at the time and there was 10 seconds till ther next time multiplier.

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by Mike Soukup at 05/30/2001 10:05 AM EST

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Rolling Meadows & Wheeling and Motorola.

I'm guilty of yelling at you guys the first time you folded up your arms in the elims at IRI. When I saw what you were doing and realized you had the match under control, I laughed a bit at everyone getting frantic that you hadn't hit the button yet. It's unfortunate that you had the chance to fold up, because that meant we had a bad round. But then again, two 720s is pretty darn good.

Mike

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by Jeff W. at 05/30/2001 11:14 AM EST

Engineer on team #419, RAMBOTS, from Boston College High School and Don't think we actually have a sponsor.

I agree, its funny. I have seen a few teams hit the button when there is around 10 seconds till the next multipler when they could drive their robot 2 the end zone and get a whole lot more points. Everyone screams at you for not hitting the button when there is a whole lot more time to do stuff. Those silly ninnies!!

Jeff Wo g
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Analog Clock?

Posted by Dodd Stacy at 05/30/2001 1:44 PM EST

Engineer on team #95, Lebanon Robotics Team, from Lebanon High School and CRREL/CREARE.

: I know that everyone is pretty familiar with the rules, but it is amazing how everyone forgets them during the heat of a match. What I mean is that it is amazing that so many people forget that there is no difference between stopping the clock at 0:56 and 0:35 (for example).

Chris,

What would you think, and anybody else, too, about a 2 minute analog clock, with the cutoff times for the various multipliers clearly marked? It would take away the humor of the frenzy you describe, but would it also make the whole business of multipliers more apparent to the crowd? That could add a bit of excitement, and it would certainly make the game more understandable.

Dodd

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Re: Analog Clock?, "I disagree".

Posted by Anthony S. at 05/30/2001 7:53 PM EST

Student on team #442, Knight Riders, from Lee High School and NASA/BOEING/MEVATEC.

In Reply to: Analog Clock?
Posted by Dodd Stacy on 05/30/2001 1:44 PM EST:

I really don't think its a good idea to post the next multiplier. Not knowing adds to the excitement and the decisions. Just like Weakest Link (if anyone watches the show). No one knows how much money has acumalated when they say "Bank". I've seen people on the show say "Bank" with no money accumilated. So it adds to the excitement not knowing, even if you did see how long it was to the next multiplier, in the heat of the match, you probably wouldn't pay attention to it. Think about it, once you've balanced, you want to stop that clock immediately and see the points, you're so excited that you balanced. Just my $0.02, have a nice summer.

Anthony Steele II
Team 442
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by Matt Reiland at 05/30/2001 7:30 PM EST

Engineer on team #226 from Troy, Troy Athens and General Motors CRW.

I guess you should be happy they were only screaming and not hitting your button for your and getting disqualified (Which I saw a few times at nationals)

B.T.W. Cool Robot

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: