OCCRA
Go to Post Teaching students should take place in the offseason. Applying the skills learned is what the real season is for. - Andrew Lawrence [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Old Forum Archives > 2001
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-24-2002, 03:22 AM
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

archiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond repute
External metal jacket on the Drill motor and FP motor, WHY?

Posted by Dennis Hughes at 05/30/2001 2:01 PM EST

Other on team #27, Team Rush, from OSMTech Academy & MTA and TEXTRON Automotive.

Can anyone explain the purpose of the metal jacket on the Drill motor and the FP motors. Can you remove it and still get the same performance??

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

archiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond repute
Re: External metal jacket on the Drill motor and FP motor, WHY?

Posted by Joe Taylor at 05/30/2001 6:39 PM EST

College Student on team #461, West Side Boiler Invasion, from West Lafayette High School and Purdue University .

In Reply to: External metal jacket on the Drill motor and FP motor, WHY?
Posted by Dennis Hughes on 05/30/2001 2:01 PM EST:

I think It's just there so the effect of the magnetic field from the motor is less dramatic to surrounding componentry. We've run without it with no apparent performance loss, and taking it offf actually aided in cooling the motor down.

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Re: External metal jacket on the Drill motor and FP motor, WHY?

Posted by Mark Garver at 05/30/2001 8:04 PM EST

Student on team #68, Truck Town Terror, from Waterford Kettering/OSMTech Academy and General Motors Truck Group.

Dennis,
My team has come to the conclusion that the metal jackets are strictly heat sinks. We have taken them off some of our motors and discovered that they do heat up alittle quicker, not much though. My team has also found that by taking this heat sink off and manufacturing our own heat sink (which are bigger and made out of alum.) the motor cools more quickly.

: Can anyone explain the purpose of the metal jacket on the Drill motor and the FP motors. Can you remove it and still get the same performance??

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

10% extra output...

Posted by Joe Johnson at 05/30/2001 9:57 PM EST

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

The extra metal case is there to help strengthen the magnetic field in the path of the armature. It helps increase the output of the motors by a small but significant amount (10% is a good rule of thumb as I recall).

The normal case of the motor is not sufficient for the Mabuchi and the Johnson Electric motors to direct all the magnetic flux from the permanent magnets toward the armature. This extra magnetic material around the outside makes the PM magnets more effective. There is no benefit to having such extra pieces on motor housings that are thicker (such as all the other motors in the kit).

I may be wrong but I think these bits of metal are called flux yokes -- I was sure until I started to type this message and I got cold feet. Some other motor guru help me out here.

You can take them off if you like, but your are giving up motor performance if you do.

I can tell you that you aren't likely to see a Chief Delphi robot without them any time soon ;-)

Joe J.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: