Go to Post Attitudes in one part of life tend to carry over to others. - Wetzel [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #136   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2011 FRC Game Hint #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetraman View Post
Dave Lavery where are you? Explain this mess to us! Pleeeeeeease...
I wonder if it could be...

Nah, that would just be way too...

Never mind.

"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #137   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Co Captain/Chief Programmer
AKA: Bobby
FRC #2106 (Junkyard Dogs)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2008
iblis432 is a splendid one to beholdiblis432 is a splendid one to beholdiblis432 is a splendid one to beholdiblis432 is a splendid one to beholdiblis432 is a splendid one to beholdiblis432 is a splendid one to beholdiblis432 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery View Post

Never mind.

you wouldn't. haha. Now you have me even more confused.

Judging by this, I would guess that we have hit the nail on the head somewhere, but where?
  #138   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:03 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Well, he did ask for that, Dave.

I'll ask for another hint in, oh, about 4 days; 6 if you're really feeling pressed for time to finish that rendering.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.
  #139   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:05 PM
AKA: Matthew
FRC #0624 (CRyptonite)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Beta Version is on a distinguished road

combining the first clue with this you get... "logo-motion!" Each member of the alliance gets a circle, triangle, or square. The first team to use all three of these (in the game format, such as scoring, placing, connect, whatever) properly wins!

Underwater Bot

Paratrooper Bot

Last edited by Beta Version : 01-04-2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: I see I was beat out on the logo-motion pun, so sad
  #140   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:06 PM
AKA: Brendan
FRC #0548 (Robostangs/Looking for one near Purdue)

Rookie Year: 2009
Bjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Never mind.

At least that's one thing cleared up, thanks for the help Dave!

Toronto Regional quarter finalists. Northville Winners/ Chairman's Winners. Troy Finalist/ GM Industrial Design Award. Michigan State Championship Finalists. CMP Newton Division winners! Triple Balance count 13. Thanks to 1075, 4307, 67, 3656, 217, 2604, 2054, 245, 118, and 2194! Photo credit for my avatar Dan Ernst

#141   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:07 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2006
Robert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by iblis432 View Post
you wouldn't. haha. Now you have me even more confused.

Judging by this, I would guess that we have hit the nail on the head somewhere, but where?
The nail or your thumb?
2012 Greater Kansas City Regional Imagery Award
"It doesn't hurt to be smart as long as you don't out-think yourself." -- Steve Fujita Former KC Chiefs player.
  #142   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:09 PM
In Transition.
AKA: SuperNerd256
no team (Robo Rams)

Rookie Year: 2011
Andrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Andrew Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Cawthon View Post
Perhaps a reference to coopertition? Your alliance cannot do something till the other alliance has done something? That way the play is linked together.
I doubt any of you play video games, but there is one that came out quite recently (Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks), and parts of the game consist of you controlling 2 to 3 characters, each separated by walls, where you have to have a player do something to open up a passage for another character, and so on.

The point is that it would be completely logical and quite easy to create a game field similar to Breakaway, cut into 3 pieces, but unlike Breakaway, has walls that prevents the robots from moving through each section.

So imagine this: A game split into 3 separate "fields", each with a robot from each alliance in each field. Your robot would have to find a way to get balls over to the next side, or be able to catch the balls coming over and score points with them.

Interesting idea, huh!
  #143   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:15 PM
The Voice
AKA: David Thomas
no team

Rookie Year: 2007
synth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to synth3tk

Quote:

Never mind.

I can safely say I saw a response along these lines coming from a mile away.
  #144   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:16 PM
FRC #2849 (ursa major)

bearbot is a jewel in the roughbearbot is a jewel in the roughbearbot is a jewel in the roughbearbot is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to bearbot

2849 Therory

1.THeir will be train tracks that we move on
2.this year game will have a reverse mode (switch antonomus and tele op time )
3.The playing pices r a triangle, circle and square
4.yoou hav to sort them objet and untangle them and put the in locomotive trains (carts) the drive to the next oone
OR robot hook together to pick up pieces to help the coopertive bonus at the actcual compettion
  #145   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Co Captain/Chief Programmer
AKA: Bobby
FRC #2106 (Junkyard Dogs)
Team Role: Programmer

iblis432 is a splendid one to beholdiblis432 is a splendid one to beholdiblis432 is a splendid one to beholdiblis432 is a splendid one to beholdiblis432 is a splendid one to beholdiblis432 is a splendid one to beholdiblis432 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNerd256 View Post
So imagine this: A game split into 3 separate "fields", each with a robot from each alliance in each field. Your robot would have to find a way to get balls over to the next side, or be able to catch the balls coming over and score points with them.

Interesting idea, huh!
Or howabout the three games that were voted favorite in the 20th anniversery poll? Your robot has to be able to compete in a subversion of each one.

The GDC will have made the miniture ones throughout off season, then when the results of the poll come in, they give you those three games. That's why the manual hasn't even be released for encrypted download yet. XD I can dream can't I?
  #146   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:18 PM
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
arizonafoxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNerd256 View Post
I doubt any of you play video games, but there is one that came out quite recently (Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks), and parts of the game consist of you controlling 2 to 3 characters, each separated by walls, where you have to have a player do something to open up a passage for another character, and so on.

The point is that it would be completely logical and quite easy to create a game field similar to Breakaway, cut into 3 pieces, but unlike Breakaway, has walls that prevents the robots from moving through each section.

Interesting idea, huh!
I like this idea of the separation with walls but I would much rather have some inverted track above so you could transition from one side of the field to the other
  #147   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:22 PM
AKA: R.J. Garduno
FRC #2486 (CocoNuts)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2007
Are Jay is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: 2011 FRC Game Hint #2

A member on our team brought up the idea that maybe this hint could be that there are going to be three alliances... :/

- RJValle
  #148   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:23 PM
In Transition.
no team (Robo Rams)

Andrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iblis432 View Post
Or howabout the three games that were voted favorite in the 20th anniversery poll? Your robot has to be able to compete in a subversion of each one.

The GDC will have made the miniture ones throughout off season, then when the results of the poll come in, they give you those three games. That's why the manual hasn't even be released for encrypted download yet. XD I can dream can't I?
Good Idea! That would be fun!!!

WHEN WILL WE HAVE AN ATR COMPETITION??? (All-Terrain Robot) I've always wanted a field with water on the floor, about 2 to 3 feet deep with floating islands, and rocky, mountainous goals, up high in the mountains!! You could have 4 types of robots: Robots who can go in the water, those who travel on land and jump from island to island, those who climb the mountain, and my team's robot: RoboCopter, the flying robot!!!
  #149   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Boiler Strong.
AKA: Ben Carson
FRC #0461 (Westside Boiler Invasion)

Rookie Year: 2010
Duke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Duke461

I honestly don't think that the FIRST logo is hinting at linking in the sense of the field and alliances. The only possibilities for linking would be the game objects themselves. My random guess that I came up with over the summer would be that they're going to combine an aspect of every past game. The linking in terms of locomotion along with the symbols in the FIRST logo linking together support my theory of linking all the games together. The logo could also be trying to remind of us its the 20th anniversary, which supports my idea further. But eh, who knows? (besides Dave Lavery and the GDC ) On a side note, some of the ideas have been extremely far-fetched; let's try and stay a little rational here

The opposite of excellence is good enough.
2012-2013 President; 2011-2012 Vice President
2011-offseason FRC Student Drive Coach; 2010-11, 2011-2012 VEX Drive Coach
2011, 2010-offseason FRC Driver/Operator
2012, 2011-offseason, 2010-offseason FRC Human Player
Find me on: Facebook, Gmail, Twitter, Tumblr, Blogger/Blogspot
  #150   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:24 PM
In Transition.
no team (Robo Rams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Are Jay View Post
A member on our team brought up the idea that maybe this hint could be that there are going to be three alliances... :/
3 alliances with 2 teams on each? Or the standard 3 teams? That would be interesting!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: