Go to Post Inspiration is created by a vision and is reinforced with success. - rourke [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2004
Ian Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RS775 Gearboxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahilm View Post
Based on our prototyping, watching some old 2007 videos, and current consensus on design, we've found that speed close to optimal. Of course, it's only week 2, and there's a lot more testing to do, so our plans may change quickly.
Sanity check: Strap a five pound weight on the end of a 2x4 and swing that from a pivot point about five feet from the end 180 degrees in a second.

Then try to precisely place a tube on a rack with that rotation rate.

I haven't done it, so maybe I'm talking out of my butt here... but that seems pretty darn fast!
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2011, 03:51 PM
AKA: Patrick Freivald
FRC #1551 (The Grapes of Wrath)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
pfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond repute

What's wrong with 180 degrees in one second in this game (specifically)? You have half (or all) of the field to drive before you are in position to score, after all!
Bausch & Lomb, PTC Corporation, and Naples High School

I write books, too!
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2011, 03:52 PM
AKA: Rahil Mehta
FRC #0668 (The Apes of Wrath)

Rookie Year: 2007
rahilm has a spectacular aura aboutrahilm has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to rahilm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCurtis View Post
Sanity check: Strap a five pound weight on the end of a 2x4 and swing that from a pivot point about five feet from the end 180 degrees in a second.

Then try to precisely place a tube on a rack with that rotation rate.

I haven't done it, so maybe I'm talking out of my butt here... but that seems pretty darn fast!
I guess I haven't been clear enough. We probably will be going with something slower for human control (as I said, week 2 just started, lots of testing to do still), I don't know of many people who would be able to control something that fast.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfreivald View Post
What's wrong with 180 degrees in one second in this game (specifically)? You have half (or all) of the field to drive before you are in position to score, after all!
It's far too fast to be easy to control, in my opinion. Most arms have about 90-100 degrees of travel. I"m thinking 45 degrees per second is much more reasonable.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2011, 04:01 PM
AKA: Rahil Mehta
FRC #0668 (The Apes of Wrath)

Rookie Year: 2007
rahilm has a spectacular aura aboutrahilm has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to rahilm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
It's far too fast to be easy to control, in my opinion. Most arms have about 90-100 degrees of travel. I"m thinking 45 degrees per second is much more reasonable.
With some degree of automation (PID, specifically) and the proper control systems, you could go with a much faster speed without losing much control.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2011, 04:01 PM

pfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond repute

Why, in the age of quadrature encoders and with targets at a set height, would you be subjecting your lifting arm to human control (beyond 'this is the height I want)?

I write books, too!
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2000
JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why, in the age of quadrature encoders and with targets at a set height, would you be subjecting your lifting arm to human control (beyond 'this is the height I want)?
Why subject your robot to a potential sensor failure when you can train a monkey (or a student, if monkeys are lacking) to put the tube at the right height every time?
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)

Ian Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahilm View Post
With some degree of automation (PID, specifically) and the proper control systems, you could go with a much faster speed without losing much control.
Because I trust software about as far as I can throw it, and since it has almost no mass, I can't throw it very far.

I know there are a lot of great programmers in FIRST. I also know that teams are always pushed right up to a deadline, and the software teams get very little time to test. I also know a slow arm is a lot easier to stop, and if your arm is going 180 degrees/second and you miss a limit switch for some reason, something is going to break. There are a lot of great teams in 2007 that didn't actuate at anything close to 180 degrees/second. There probably are some that did too, but I'm a lot more comfortable with a slow arm that I can fall back on a human to control, than needing a relatively complex piece of software to control.

Why would you use an encoder? It is simpler to use a potentiometer since your are limited to probably less than one revolution, no?
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2011, 04:17 PM

A. Trimpots drift. Encoders don't.
B. The same idea could be replaced with "why do this in the age of the limit switch?" and the objection is the same (though with slightly different hardware and software, without quite so much elegance).
C. With 20 minutes of LabView training, I was able to bring an arm up to whatever height I wanted to by pushing the appropriate button.
D. If you haven't made things autonomous, then you can't score in autonomous...

I write books, too!
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Team Captain
FRC #2834 (Bionic Barons)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2008
Jason Law is just really niceJason Law is just really niceJason Law is just really niceJason Law is just really niceJason Law is just really nice

Banebot just emailed me back:

Hello,

The new CIM-U-LATOR gearbox and P60 mount for the RS775s will be available for order Wednesday.

Thank you,

BaneBots Sales

Jason Law
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2011, 07:29 PM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

On the BaneBots page, it says they'll be offering a 64:1 and a 256:1 for the 775. Really? Nothing in between those ratios?
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Support Team 696 on DonorsChoose!
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2011, 02:51 AM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)

Quote:
A. Trimpots drift. Encoders don't.
Can you explain (in non-EE terms, preferably) how big of a problem this is in FRC style applications? In my six years of robot building we used potentiometers many times in the feedback loop for rotation, and many more times in our Operator Interface. We never had a problem, and none of my EE mentors ever mentioned it as a potential issue in our many hours of gremlin chasing. Did we dodge a bullet, or is this a case of "it only really matters when you're building spacecraft"? Thanks!
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCurtis View Post
Can you explain (in non-EE terms, preferably) how big of a problem this is in FRC style applications? In my six years of robot building we used potentiometers many times in the feedback loop for rotation, and many more times in our Operator Interface. We never had a problem, and none of my EE mentors ever mentioned it as a potential issue in our many hours of gremlin chasing. Did we dodge a bullet, or is this a case of "it only really matters when you're building spacecraft"? Thanks!
The one year we used a trimpot, we found drift values of 5-10%. At one point it drifted sufficiently so that it was still driving while stalled.

We were the "oooh, neat, fire!" robot that year.

I write books, too!
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Needs a taller Driver's Station.
AKA: Dustin Benedict
FRC #0341 (Miss Daisy)

Rookie Year: 2005
thefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to thefro526 Send a message via MSN to thefro526

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddrag View Post
On the BaneBots page, it says they'll be offering a 64:1 and a 256:1 for the 775. Really? Nothing in between those ratios?
I would imagine that they may be the only packages for the RS775 that they offer off the shelf, but in years past swapping motors between BB transmissions was just a matter of ensuring you have the correct Mounting Block for the Motor and series of Transmission - so you should be able to buy a P60 with the desired ratio and swap the mount, right?
Hatboro Horsham District Winners, MAR Championship Winners, Newton Division Finalists.
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2011, 09:49 AM
Raptors can't turn doorknobs.
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)

Rookie Year: 1999
Tom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddrag View Post
Actually, on the planetary page for the P-60 for the RS-775, it says they have multiples of 4.

4:1, 16:1, 64:1, and 256:1.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: