Go to Post Nothing beats the local hardware store :). - Mike Martus [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-03-2011, 08:12 AM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Team Update #16 - EMERGENCY

Team Update #16 has been posted: http://www.usfirst.org/uploadedFiles...pdate%2016.pdf

It affects RED and YELLOW cards under <G32> and <G33>, and removes a potential "one-move-win" strategy in elminations:
Quote:
It has come to our attention that some TEAMS have concluded a ‘one move win’ is possible under the following scenario:
A blue ALLIANCE ROBOT is in the blue ZONE. A second blue ALLIANCE ROBOT is outside the ZONE, but in the general vicinity. A ROBOT from the red ALLIANCE, exiting its LANE, crosses near the second blue alliance ROBOT. The second blue ALLIANCE ROBOT intentionally pushes the red ALLIANCE ROBOT in to the blue ZONE. The red ALLIANCE ROBOT contacts the first blue ALLIANCE ROBOT. This would result normally result in a YELLOW CARD for the second blue ALLIANCE ROBOT and a RED CARD for the red ALLIANCE ROBOT per Rule <G32>. However, if this were to occur during an elimination match, this would result in the entire red ALLIANCE being disqualified per Rule <T13>, and a ‘one move win’ by the blue ALLIANCE.
Referees will be instructed that an attempt to win a MATCH in this way, by the blue ALLIANCE in the scenario above, would be considered particularly egregious behavior under Rule <T09>, resulting in a RED CARD for the blue robot and thus a disqualification of the entire blue ALLIANCE under Rule <T13>. As any attempt at this behavior would necessarily precede contact, in the scenario above, of the red ALLIANCE ROBOT with the blue ALLIANCE ROBOT in the blue ZONE, the blue ALLIANCE disqualification would take precedence over the red ALLIANCE disqualification, and the red ALLIANCE will be declared the winner of the MATCH.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-03-2011, 08:17 AM
AKA: Chris Leung
FRC #1989 (Viking Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
TD912 has much to be proud ofTD912 has much to be proud ofTD912 has much to be proud ofTD912 has much to be proud ofTD912 has much to be proud ofTD912 has much to be proud ofTD912 has much to be proud ofTD912 has much to be proud ofTD912 has much to be proud ofTD912 has much to be proud of
Re: Team Update #16 - EMERGENCY

Not exactly an emergency, unless your strategy revolves around intentionally trying to get other teams disqualified.

2008 New York City Regional Champions - (41/555/1989)
2009 Brunswick Eruption 8 Finalists - (1989/56/1807)
2010 PARC XIII Champions - (25/341/1989)

Over The Bump
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-03-2011, 08:17 AM
AKA: Michael Chau
FRC #0085 (B.O.B. (Built on Brains))
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
MagiChau is just really niceMagiChau is just really niceMagiChau is just really niceMagiChau is just really nice

Thanks for the notice. I am glad they decided to eliminate the possibility of this happening before qualifications started at the least. Although the way of making sure this is happening to prevent it is going to be tough on referees.

Last edited by MagiChau : 03-03-2011 at 08:19 AM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-03-2011, 08:38 AM
AKA: Grant
FRC #3357
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
GGCO is a splendid one to beholdGGCO is a splendid one to beholdGGCO is a splendid one to beholdGGCO is a splendid one to beholdGGCO is a splendid one to beholdGGCO is a splendid one to beholdGGCO is a splendid one to beholdGGCO is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GGCO

I'm glad they fixed this. It should have been done sooner though.
Website

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0180 (Team SPAM)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Warren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond repute

I find it disturbing that there is even one participant who might consider adopting such a tactic.

Thank you for the clarification, GDC.

Don't be afraid to think outside of the box. As long as you stay in the frame perimeter.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-03-2011, 08:48 AM
TruSS So hard
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

I could tell bad things were going to happen when they added the exception to the "cannot cause a penalty" rule.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)

My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Coach/Faculty Advisor
AKA: Greg King
FRC #1014 (Dublin Robotics aka "Bad Robots")
Team Role: Teacher

mathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond repute

This has been discussed here more than a little bit. However long it took, I am very glad that they changed this rule. When they first announced the interpretation they are now changing it was obvious to me that it could be a real problem. Any rule that allows you to be disqualified because of the actions of your opponents has a great potential to be abused.

If I am reading it correctly, I actually think the way it is now worded strikes a good balance. If I try to push the red robot into my zone in order to disqualify them, I get disqualified. If the red robot is trying to block me from scoring in my zone and as a result is pushed into another blue robot then the red robot is disqualified.
I always tell the kids, when you don't win the Chairman's Award that's not a bad thing. If you think you are deserving, but someone else is better, that means the message of FIRST is really getting out there.
2003 - Buckeye - Rookie All-Star Award
2004 - Pittsburgh - Engineering Inspiration Award
2005 - Pittsburgh - Chairman's Award
2007 - Buckeye - Team Spirit Award
2009 - Buckeye - Chairman's Award, Woodie Flowers Award
2010 - Buckeye - Dean's List Award (Phil Aufdencamp)
2011 - Buckeye - Dean's List Award (Lindesy Fox, Kyle Torrico)
2012 - Queen City - Chairman's Award
2013 - Buckeye - Gracious Professionalism Award, Dean's List Award (Alix Bernier)
2014 - Crossroads - Engineering Inspiration Award
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-03-2011, 09:40 AM
FRC #2992

45Auto has a brilliant future45Auto has a brilliant future45Auto has a brilliant future45Auto has a brilliant future45Auto has a brilliant future45Auto has a brilliant future45Auto has a brilliant future45Auto has a brilliant future45Auto has a brilliant future45Auto has a brilliant future45Auto has a brilliant future

Quote:
If I am reading it correctly, I actually think the way it is now worded strikes a good balance. If I try to push the red robot into my zone in order to disqualify them, I get disqualified. If the red robot is trying to block me from scoring in my zone and as a result is pushed into another blue robot then the red robot is disqualified.
And a ref who may not even be looking when the incident happens will decide which team gets disqualified.

I think it's a horrible rule situation. The GDC needs to get it's act together, come up with a set of rules for a game at the beginning of the season, and not spend the rest of the build season changing the rules to try to get teams to play the game the way they "think" it should be played.

They now have rules for Logomotion that depend on a referee deciding whether an alliance is working together to blockade the field (G48-C), and now another one for a referee to decide whether a team intentionally pushed one robot into another.

2007 - Rookie All Star - Bayou Regional (1858 - Tyborgs)
2009 - Rookie All Star - Bayou Regional (2992 -Prometheus)
2010 - Champions - Bayou Regional (2992 -Prometheus)
2012 - Finalist - Bayou Regional (2992 - Prometheus)
team2992.com/design.php
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-03-2011, 09:47 AM
AKA: Jason
FRC #1766 (Temper Metal)

Molten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
I could tell bad things were going to happen when they added the exception to the "cannot cause a penalty" rule.
The original "cannot cause a penalty" rule has been an exception to the other rules for a while...then they added an exception to it....now they added an exception to that....

So we now have an exception to an exception to an exception. Who is lawyering things now?

"They can break your cookie, but... you'll always have your fortune."-T.W. Turtle, Cats Don't Dance

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."-Dinobot, Beast Wars

"Though the first step is the hardest and the last step ends the quest, the long steps in between are certainly the best."
–Gruffi Gummi, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-03-2011, 09:48 AM
AKA: Alex Tannahill
no team

Rookie Year: 2008
rtfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molten View Post
The original "cannot cause a penalty" rule has been an exception to the other rules for a while...then they added an exception to it....now they added an exception to that....

So we now have an exception to an exception to an exception. Who is lawyering things now?
I think the GDC just saw Inception.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-03-2011, 10:18 AM
TruSS So hard
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)

Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molten View Post
The original "cannot cause a penalty" rule has been an exception to the other rules for a while...then they added an exception to it....
I was referring to the exception from the cannot cause a penalty rule.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)

My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-03-2011, 10:25 AM
FRC #0188 (Woburn Robotics)

Tristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know they don't want anyone trying that move. It's better to make it explicit in this manner than sort it out later during an event.

But what's with the precedence implied in the last sentence? If you got your alliance disqualified, but the other alliance got disqualified first, you win? The rules previously implied nothing of the sort—both alliances would be disqualified, and there would be another match—so this is a change to "The Tournament" that should be specified. (It's one thing to give teams a heads-up that something will be considered an aspect of an existing rule; it's another to change the rules without adding the relevant language to the rulebook.)

And what happens if the DQ was for another perfectly valid reason? Or what if both teams use the same banned strategy? Is the "necessarily precede contact" clause an implication that if there is an order of events causing alliance disqualifications, only the first one counts toward the final resolution of the match?

And what about the qualifying rounds? My initial impression is that this changes nothing, even in the situation where a robot attempts this strategy to disqualify the last undisqualified member of the opposing alliance. (The fact that it's in the eliminations seems to be a fundamental part of the scenario.) In that case, both robots get disqualified (instigator and victim), and the remaining alliance members on the instigator's alliance get the benefit of 5.3.6: their own score as RS.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-03-2011, 10:30 AM
UMich MechE '16
AKA: @BaselThe2nd
FRC #3322 (Eagle Imperium)

Rookie Year: 2009
Basel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn't thought of that strategy, and probably would never have suggested its implementation. Winning is winning, however.

Regardless, always nice to have FRC more based on robot merit than strategies aimed at disqualifying opposing alliances!
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Flybotix Fanatic
FRC #1885 (iLITE)

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

Oy. I knew this was possible when I read some of the early defensive posts, but I never brought it up to my team since I never wanted them to even think this way in terms of building a robot. It's a good thing the GDC addressed it.

[In general, not completely related to this update] It seems to me that the rules this year could add some severe conflicts of interest if the referees have any affiliation with teams on the field or have a bias based upon a team's history. Who's chasing who? who backed off first? Was something intentional? Did that minibot deploy a fraction of a second too early? They're all subjective and at the mercy of referee interpretations. I don't think it would be a big deal except that the subjective parts are all getting more visibility. At this point I think all we can do is hope that an alliance in elims doesn't appear to try it.
I’m talking about the real fundamentals of being an empowered, self-directed human being. Creativity. Curiosity. Resilience to distraction. Patience with others. And to make these all possible: self-reliance — an unswerving willingness to take responsibility for your life...

How to Make Trillions of Dollars

Want to be a better cook? Do 5 recipes from Plenty on 5 weeknights after work. Eat the leftovers for lunch.

Last edited by JesseK : 03-03-2011 at 11:03 AM.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-03-2011, 03:25 PM
AKA: Jason
FRC #1766 (Temper Metal)

Molten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
I was referring to the exception from the cannot cause a penalty rule.
I was actually referring to FIRST lawyering the rules, not you. Sorry for the confusion.

"They can break your cookie, but... you'll always have your fortune."-T.W. Turtle, Cats Don't Dance

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."-Dinobot, Beast Wars

"Though the first step is the hardest and the last step ends the quest, the long steps in between are certainly the best."
–Gruffi Gummi, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: